Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 05, 2024, 07:52:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I feel like I just cannot continue contact at all  (Read 361 times)
Smile41869

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: June 19, 2019, 01:55:07 PM »

Hi everyone! It’s been a while! I’ve been lurking but for the first time in a long time I have to ask.

Have you ever come to a point you just *have to* go NC?

There’s been no major issues or changes in my mother’s behaviour.. but after having a month overseas and the peace of not having her in my ear, I’ve realised suddenly that I just don’t have it in me to keep up the fakery, the niceness and the energy required for false pleasantries with her anymore. I want my space and my life - for the first time in my life I just can’t keep up the false pretences!

Now I know there will likely be consequences. My mother is a waif so she will likely create some crisis for attention. I’ve already had countless calls and texts and each time I just say I’m too busy. I know I can’t put her off forever...

What have you done previously when you just don’t have the energy for LC anymore? It’s a never ending dance. I just want to be left alone.. my only thought is to put up with one more call and then lie and say I’m overseas again. It’s not ideal but I know she couldn’t ever live with the truth.  Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)

Thank you!
Libra

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 09:22:02 AM »

Hi Smile41869  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

It is a thin line between staying LC with healthy boundaries and keeping up false pretences, isn't it? 

Is there anything you could do to stop the fakeness and be your authentic self when in contact with your mother?
Granted, that would still cost a lot of energy, because you want those boundaries to be strong!
It is wholly your own personal choice whether you want to keep putting in that energy or not.
Either way you choose is okay.

I am wondering though how lying about your whereabouts is any less fake?
What do you fear would happen  if you were to tell your mother you wanted to go NC for a while?

I am also a frequent lurker. But it still helps tremendously to post about your own personal issues.
Remember, we are here to listen and support you too! 

Libra.

Don't do unto others what you don't want others to do unto you. ~ Confucius.
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 01:12:55 PM »

Hi.  Welcome back out of lurker mode... I think you should do it more often!  

NC, LC and full contact are all so difficult.  All of them have consequences.  It is okay if you want to take a break.  

Excerpt
What have you done previously when you just don’t have the energy for LC anymore?
I used boundaries, which apply to any level of contact you may choose even NC.  

I want my space and my life - for the first time in my life I just can’t keep up the false pretences! Have you found the false pretenses helpful in terms of long lasting change in you and the way you cope or with your mom's behaviors?

Like Libra, I too am wondering what you fear will happen is you go NC or even start setting boundaries rather than using false pretenses and avoidance.

Talk with us.  

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest