Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 20, 2024, 02:20:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real Vs. Fake  (Read 425 times)
Pingo

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 11:59:40 PM »

My head hurts.

I created a version of the relationship in my head that I wanted it to be, a fantasy, and forged ahead denying that what the relationship really was wasn't even close to that.  When I chose to let go of the fantasy and see the reality for what it was, I left her, since the reality was a nightmare.  No more complicated than that.  And then the real work began: why did I run with my fantasy and ignore reality?  Why was I voluntarily so blind?  Why did I put up with so much crap that now seems completely unacceptable?  The fact I felt so foolish when the fog cleared was useful in digging deep.  Yes, we unknowingly came under the spell of a mental illness, granted, but why were we susceptible to it to begin with, when there were plenty of signs early?  Oh what a wonderful opportunity to dig deep, fueled by pain, so the growth is real and it sticks; it's a brand new world.

Earlier I posted a question on how to deal with the idea that the r/s was a fantasy and was directed to this thread.  Wow, so helpful, thank you everyone for your insights. 

I also created a version of the relationship in my head that I wanted it to be, like the quote above... .This is how far I took my fantasy:  I had asked him to move out after 3 years together, I wanted to end the relationship, end the constant anxiety, the walking on eggshells, the overwhelming frustration of never getting my needs met, his constantly invading my privacy, mistrust, jealousy, etc. (not knowing anything about BPD at the time).  In that process of him packing his bags and making arrangements to leave, my grief overwhelmed me and I could not imagine how I could live without him.  It scared me so much that I convinced myself if we were going to stay together then I should really commit to the relationship (somehow believing that my ambivalence was creating the r/s hell) so I suggested we get married.  And we did!  We eloped (because we both knew people would have many opinions about what the hell we were doing and we didn't want to hear it or be swayed by any 'negativity'!)  I have such shame from this, I feel like such a fool.  And I've been having such a hard time with the idea that it was all just a fantasy.  Makes me feel like the last 4 years were a dream.  A nightmare!  This thread has really helped me step back and gain some perspective. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest