Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 06:03:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on McLean or Wellspring for 15 yr old daughter.  (Read 734 times)
wadadli

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: February 19, 2015, 08:20:40 AM »

Hello, I'm the mom of a 15 yr old daughter whose current diagnosis is rapid cycling bipolar but who fits the criteria for BPD. We're looking for a residential treatment center or therapeutic boarding school in the northeast. Any personal experience or opinions on Wellspring or McLean would be greatly appreciated. Or of you guys have any other suggestions? We're working with a consultant, but she's more familiar with places in Utah, and we'd like to try for somewhere closer to NJ.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 12:47:55 PM »

Hello wadadli 

Glad you are here and sorry to hear that you have a daughter struggling with mental illness.  I know this is hard for you and everyone in your family.

I don't have any personal experience with McLean ( it is a first class facility) or Wellspring.  I do have personal experience with residential treatment in general.  My daughter went to an RTC for almost a year.

My first bit of advice is general and there are many factors such as finances, insurance coverage, etc... .to be taken into consideration... .

Location is not as important as effective treatment in a program that fits your daughter's needs.  If you are able to find that place in your region that is great!  If not... .look elsewhere.  Location is just one of the many layers of concern when researching inpatient care facilities.

How else can we help support you through this?  Are you taking good care of yourself?  Do you have a good support group around you?

We are here to help!

lbj

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
wadadli

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 02:06:46 PM »

Thanks for your reply lbj.

We thankfully have the available financial resources that cost and insurance coverage are not deciding factors in determining placement for our daughter. We'd like to figure out what would be the best place for her to get help, and then try to make it happen.

We currently live in the southern US, in an area not known for great mental health services or expertise. We're planning a move to the northeast in the near future to be closer to job and family.

One other issue is whether or not to do a wilderness program first. Second Nature blue ridge has been suggested. Any feedback on that or opinions on doing a wilderness program before a RTC would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »

Thanks for getting back to us wadadli.

Good to know that finances aren't the deciding factor... .that gives you more options.

Unfortunately for my family finances were a big factor in my search for inpatient care and programs... .insurance would not pay for my daughter's care so we had to make decisions based on what resources we had.  Wilderness can be a first step... .and only a first step.  Many kids in rtc first went to wilderness.  The benefit can be that it jump starts treatment.  Kids who have been to wilderness generally stay in rtc shorter lengths of time. Keep in mind that each individual has their own story and levels of success. Because we could not afford to do wilderness and the anticipated 9 month average stay we had to forgo wilderness.

There was one time during a family visit weekend at the rtc my d was in that she asked me "Why didn't I get to go to wilderness?"  This was close to her graduation time and she had (obviously) made huge strides of improvement.

Have you made a list of what kind of therapy you believe will be helpful to your daughter?  Have you been looking at facilities that use these therapy models and contacted any of them?

lbj

Karategirl

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 03:54:40 PM »

Hello Wadadli!

I do not have first hand experience with those programs but have researched them for my

daughter.  From what I learned, they are both exceptional in treating BPD.  Wellspring

also has a very good therapeutic boarding school - Arch Bridge.   Their clinicians are

top notch and they use DBT along with other therapies.  I believe it is a rural setting where

the residents also care for animals.  They have a facebook page where you can get additional

information.  I believe this is a longer term program - 6 plus months.

McClean has an acute program and a longer term program.  You can call them for specifics, they are

very helpful and leaders in treating BPD.  Have you looked into Silver Hill in CT?  They have a

28 day intensive DBT residential program that is also well respected. Their website details the program

Best of luck to you and your family Smiling (click to insert in post) 

wadadli

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »

thanks again lbj. Our EC is making it seem like a wilderness program is almost a necessary step before a rtc. I just don't see why that would be better than going right into a good rtc.

Any other opinions?

Thanks so much!
wadadli

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »

Karategirl, thanks for your reply! I looked at the website for Silver Hill, but was concerned it might be more substance abuse focused?

My daughter is super smart, just scored a 35 on the ACT in the middle of a manic episode. She's a junior in highschool and I'd love to find a residential treatment center that would transition her quickly into a boarding school with stronger academics than most residential centers have. But our EC thinks she would t currently be admitted into a therapeutic boarding school.

Maybe I should give Silver Hill a closer look. I'd love to hear some first hand opinions on any of these places!

Thanks again!
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 04:05:07 PM »

thanks again lbj. Our EC is making it seem like a wilderness program is almost a necessary step before a rtc. I just don't see why that would be better than going right into a good rtc.

Any other opinions?

Thanks so much!

Could you ask her why she is so strongly recommending wilderness first?  Maybe she sees the program structure and wilderness experience as being what your d15 will need to be ready for rtc.  Or maybe she has an unknown agenda... .This is your daughter and her care so ask as many questions as you need to make informed decisions.  

lbj

wadadli

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 04:15:11 PM »

Lbj, the EC has said that since my daughter has a history of dishonest, sneaky behavior, that some RTCs would probably prefer her to do wilderness first and that doing the wilderness training makes it more likely that kids follow the program at a RTC. Our daughter has already completed a 7 week partial hospitalization DBT program, and plays along nicely but then has difficulty when back at school and given any freedom. I think I'd rather she be in a setting more similar to real life with school and therapy and have help being successful in that setting. I don't see how wilderness will translate to that for my specific child.
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 04:55:18 PM »

You know your daughter best wadadli... .don't be afraid to change your mind if some information comes your way that causes you to rethink your position.

I didn't use an EC for referral, placement... .or even suggestions so I didn't have to grapple with one... .some other members have found them to be frustrating to the process and some very helpful.

lbj

wadadli

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »

Thanks lbj. I also have an 11 yr old son, who is on the autism spectrum. I've always been very involved in finding the best fit for therapists and schools for his needs. We hired the EC because we wanted to do everything possible to find the best help for our daughter, but I sort of feel that the wilderness suggestion is not individualized to her specific needs and strengths.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest