Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 20, 2024, 01:31:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am shaking, mouth is dry, rapid breathing... scared but proud  (Read 355 times)
Changed4safety

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Living together, three and a half years

« on: May 04, 2013, 11:24:29 PM »

It's been a while since I've been plunged into the mindless fear I always experienced in confronting my ex.  But I did it.  I finally addressed the last tie between us--the fact that I've been paying his phone bill for the last year while we were off and on again.  He recently lost his job in February and has asked me to hang on for a while while he looks.  It's $90, and I am having my own financial issues--mainly that I had a freelance job of my own that I counted on to bring in almost a year's income that is "on hold," and oh yes, I paid about $100,000 on him over the four years we were together because he was "too frail" to find a job. 

Now, after reaching out one final time to me and me saying "no," he is dating someone.  He is also doing the following:

1. Smoking again

2. Going out to a brewpub with friends every week at least once

3. Going to hockey games

4. Going out to dinners with friends

5. Buying video games and toys

6. Taking out the new girl (unless he's asking her to pay for everything the way he did me.)

I don't doubt he's cut way back.  But he obviously has disposable income.  So I'm paying his phone bill so he can take out the new girl.

We parted well, and I'd like to keep it that way, but this is eating at me.  So tonight I sent the following:

"I've realized that more is going on here than an extra $90 going out of my bank account each month; it's a tie back to the not-so-good part of our time together, when you felt resentful and controlled because I had the monetary power, and I felt resentful that you were not contributing.  Bad vibes all round.

So let's do this.  Let's tie up this final loose end that is keeping us connected to each other in a negative way.

1.  Re the phone:  I can give you another two months for you to get a job and have extra income flowing.  I will keep track of it from now on.  I will also factor in this month's for a total of $270.  You can start paying me back at the end of July at a rate we can agree upon at that time.  At the end of July, I will turn over your phone payment to you.  That will give you time to start setting aside some money for it and for reimbursing me.  I know the money is tight, it is for me too, and I am sure you will agree that it is not fair for me to harm myself financially for a bill that's not mine.  I know that you don't want to be "that guy" either.

2. I'm going for one day to this (business opportunity), and while I bet I will miss some sales due to not being able to take credit cards, I am sure it won't be hundreds.  Let's agree that if I do miss a sale, you'll reimburse me for the ability to hang on to your phone for a while longer without paying while you continue your search.  It could be nothing, it could be $20, it could be $50.   We'll see.  Hopefully everyone will be operating on a cash budget.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

So on May 13, after the (business opportunity), I will let you know if I lost any sales, and around July 20th, I'll figure out what needs to happen to transfer the phone contract to you.  At that point, you will assume the $90 for the phone bill on a regular basis, plus a payment to me each month/paycheck/whatever to gradually pay me back for $270.

This is really uncomfortable for me.  I feel nervous and scared, shaking in a little as I type, but you know... .  you've been really great about handling things in the last few months, dramatically so, and so I'm just not going to be afraid.  Smiling (click to insert in post)  I'm going to trust in the growth we have both experienced.

I hope we can wrap this up in a calm and positive manner, and both of us will benefit.  From this point on, this no longer has to be the "elephant in the room," and that can only be a good thing."

My heart is racing.  I know it's from the old familiar tapes.  I hope he rises to the occasion. 

I live alone here, work alone, and I don't have many friends in the place to which I was forced to move when I left a year ago.  You guys are a lifeline.  Thank you in advance for all good thoughts!

leftbehind

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:29:43 PM »

Changed4safety, you are being more than fair, generous and considerate.  When you stop paying his phone bill, you are cutting another cord between the two of you.  Good for you!  It will help you move on even more.  Go Girl!
Changed4safety

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 11:49:06 PM »

Thank you! Smiling (click to insert in post)

In an interesting twist, I think my phone learned I was planning on replacing it and hid.  I can't find it anywhere, LOL!  I went in search of it in anticipation of the barrage of nasty messages he was going to send (or at least would have in the past).  So at least I am spared that tonight, and without even having to turn it off!  (I know it's here somewhere, I'll look for it in daylight.)

Heart rate slowing, shaking stopping.  I'm certainly recovering faster these days at least.  It is a good reminder that along with the good things I'm giving up, a really really bad thing is going away too.
Surnia
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: 8 y married, divorced since 2012-11-22

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 01:44:56 AM »

Changed4safety

The thing with your hided phone makes me smile... .   

I can soo relate to your heart rate and your decision to not pay anymore for his phonebill! I had/have monney issues with exes too.

I agree with leftbehind, you are more than fair!

And I think it is a very healthy decisison. Great job!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Keep us posted! 

And a   

“Don’t shrink. Don’t puff up. Stand on your sacred ground.”  Brené Brown
turtle
Retired Staff

Relationship status: I am happily single -- live alone and love it.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 06:33:21 AM »

I agree with the others!

You are being MORE than fair.

And kudos to your phone for hiding!   

turtle

Validation78

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 06:42:24 AM »

As we all know, pwBPD are masters at exceeding boundaries. We must become masters at establishing boundaries, and protecting them as well. Looks like you established yours with the phone bill, now follow through, and let the pieces fall where they may. You have every right to do as you are doing, and doing so without fear of reprisal will happen the more you gain confidence in yourself!

Best Wishes,

Val78
Rose Tiger

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 09:10:13 AM »

Yes, it's taking these steps that give us courage to keep stepping.  Good job you!
Changed4safety

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 09:32:07 AM »

Thank you all!  I practiced the good habits I have instilled before bed (positive reading material, gratitude, releasing control of the outcome) and was able to get a good night's sleep.  Strange dream, about my ex and his new GF (whom I liked--her name was Mary and she stood up to him firmly when he tried crap on her, LOL!) and my missing phone. 

Read all your comments before looking to see his response, thank you for them.  It was... .  surprisingly reasonable, and I am a little sad, because I know what that means--he no longer is in love with me.  He's transferred it to the "new girl," and that has its own pain.  However, after last night, I'll take that sorrow over the stress of what I felt before.  It reminded me that I used to feel like that a good part of every week, usually every day about something.  "I have a need or a desire.  Can I push it down?  No?  Okay... .  how do I say it, when do I say it, let me rehearse it... .  "   

Here's his reply:

"Short response, because I just woke up and happened to see this.

While I am absolutely comfortable with point #1 (you're right, it's only fair, I appreciate the extra "time loan," and I very much don't want the be "that guy" I will tell you that I am very uncomfortable with point number two. That just doesn't strike true or fair to me, in any way. We can discuss. I'll be home tomorrow evening.

I'm sorry I've been so busy. Getting a job is a full-time job, and I've been taking care of the house- cleaning, meals, etc, as well as (volunteering) every opportunity (three events today alone!) to make a point to the (name of organization)."

I know I would still be with him if he had worked that hard while he was with me instead of chasing skirts. 

I feel... .  disappointed, somehow, having braced myself for an explosion.  I like this better... .  but I miss the part of him that would come afterward, the "makeup sex", the niceness for a day or so.  But that love is about as real as falling in love with a character in a movie.  That person doesn't really exist.  Or if he does, he cannot exist for me--too much water under the bridge.

I don't feel resentment to this girl--he was forthright with me, which he never had been, and that takes so much sting out of it.  I send him love every day, but sort of the universal love I send to strangers and world leaders and plants and animals. I'd like to think he was better for having me in his life.  I am; I never would have left my comfortable marriage to a man I didn't love (we had an open relationship when I met my BPD, and ex-hubby got married ten days after our divorce, so I caused no pain there!), and I'm grateful for that; and I've learned so much about myself that I think a normal, healthy relationship will seem staggeringly easy.

Thank you all!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest