Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 07:35:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to leave my marriage, but...  (Read 364 times)
Hgl
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 02, 2017, 04:23:39 AM »

I am terribly afraid about how joint custody will affect my child. I keep thinking that I need to stay in this abusive relationship in order to protect my child, but every day it gets harder and harder to take the abuse.

Any suggestions?
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 10:11:44 AM »

Hi Hgl,  

Welcome

I'd like to welcome you to bpdfamily. I'm sorry to hear that. Many of us here can relate you, I can relate with staying in my marriage because I could shield the kids from mom's abuse but the rages and the constant negativity was taking it's toll on my health, I was in it every day and it wasn't until I was out of it that I could see how anxious I was, I'm pretty sure that I have PTSD because of her.

That being said, I was just getting tired of mom attacked dad in front of the kids, I had told her how I felt about it and she would just escalate because knew that I didn't like it. I didn't see it at the time, there was a lot of fog, I had to deal her emotional uproars and whatever drama, it was always some drama or the other, I saw that I could do more with the kids, protect and nurture them more in an environment that was the opposite of a chaotic one at home, one that is tranquil, with stability and routine.

I can't tell you what to do, I'm pretty sure that others here will say the same thing, you have a right to be happy and you can do more for your kids outside of the marriage that in a r/s with an erratic partner that is not interested in repairing r/s's.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
lpheal

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 11:22:09 AM »

I just want to share that I am struggling with the exact same question, I have an almost 3 yr old whom I worry about more than anything else. I have started spending more time on this board, as I now know I need to leave (and this opinion was also just given to me by a counselor). As the counselor explained if I stay in the relationship my child will look back and see a father who was passive and allowed abuse to occur. By leaving and creating a separate environment (even if part time) they will experience a competing model of stability and consistency in their life. My wife just might improve her behavior as well, if I am no longer around to "enable" it.

Now it's just a matter of how and when. I've gotten so much information on this website helping me through the first part of this I expect in time I will find answers to the next part as well.
DaddyBear77

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 11:36:16 AM »

Dad to a 3 year old here - I'm still married but I'm also very worried what happens after the split if that's how it goes - your question / post completely resonates with me and my situation too.

I posted a few days ago asking about the best scenario for custody after the divorce. It's in the "Co Parenting" board. I got some really great advice there. Really worth checking out as you try and find your own path.

Welcome to the bpdfamily!

DB
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 11:45:40 AM »

It's in the "Co Parenting" board. I got some really great advice there. Really worth checking out as you try and find your own path.

No kidding that's a good thread  Smiling (click to insert in post) Here's DaddyBear77's thread it's worth a read: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=306434.0

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »

The problem with staying in a marriage that is dysfunctional, unhealthy and the other spouse is not making any substantive improvements in the relationship is that the children grow up not experiencing what a normal childhood and loving home environment can be.  Even if they as children decide they want a happier adulthood, there's real risk they will end up choosing someone like mom or dad.  Do you want them to marry an appeaser, an enabler?  Or marry a controller, an emotional dictator?  Neither extreme is a good choice.  So then, how can you gift them a more balanced childhood?

Excerpt
Living in a calm and stable home, even if only for part of their lives, will give the children a better example of normalcy for their own future relationships.  Staying together would mean that's the only example of home life they would have known — discord, conflict, invalidation, overall craziness, etc.  Over 30 years ago the book Solomon's Children - Exploding the Myths of Divorce had an interesting observation on page 195 by one participant, As the saying goes, "I'd rather come from a broken home than live in one."  Ponder that.  Taking action will enable your lives, or at least a part of your lives going forward, to be spent be in a calm, stable environment — your home, wherever that is — away from the blaming, emotional distortions, pressuring demands and manipulations, unpredictable ever-looming rages and outright chaos.  And some of the flying monkeys too.

Yes, this is the exact opposite of what you wanted, to hold the marriage together at all costs.  Fact is, the only way to do that is to be compliant, appeasing, enabling of the demanding spouse.  And that's not a good example for the children, the cost is too great.  Yes, we don't want to dash our dreams and hopes but we do need to face the reality.  We can do only so much before we have to admit it just isn't working.

Exiting an oppressive marriage is a horrendous ordeal but afterward the sun shines again.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest