Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 15, 2024, 09:50:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Our abuse recovery guide
Survivor to Thriver | Free download.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interested in hearing your thoughts  (Read 1031 times)
newfreedom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: May 04, 2010, 09:17:01 AM »

Just saw the movie Precious.   Can’t recommend it enough.   It was a masterpiece, imo.

The story centers around the horrific abuse of a young black girl, from a poor,  uneducated, ghetto family.  It was adapted from the novel, Push by Sapphire.

Monique is brilliant as the borderline mother.   My own mother could have played that part perfectly.   The director comments in the special features section of the dvd that this is the first time that this type of material has ever been shown on the screen.    And that is true.    What seems unfortunate to me, though, is that this stuff goes on in bright, shiny, upscale homes in families of all races,  too.    Why is it that screen writers and  producers don’t make films about middle/upper class, educated families where this same thing is happening AS FREQUENTLY as it is in the ghetto?     How do you think a movie like this would be received if the content were the same but the setting and characters changed to white upscale surburbia?     If I had seen such a film when I was younger and living with the abuse, it could have changed the direction of my life.   Movies can be powerful teachers.   

Jenk

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:16:49 AM »

What seems unfortunate to me, though, is that this stuff goes on in bright, shiny, upscale homes in families of all races, too. Why is it that screen writers and  producers don’t make films about middle/upper class, educated families where this same thing is happening AS FREQUENTLY as it is in the ghetto? How do you think a movie like this would be received if the content were the same but the setting and characters changed to white upscale surburbia?

I have not seen Precious. A part of me wants to see it; another part of me is scared that it will stir up painful emotions that will overwhelm me.  

To answer your question: I think that if the setting were changed to middle-/ upper-class suburbia, more (if not most) viewers would dismiss it as pure fiction.  
justjen

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:21:40 AM »

I haven't seen it either.  But I would venture a guess that JenK is probably right.  Or there would be tons of comments like "oh but it happens even MORE in poor families and those kids don't have any money to get help" or whatever.  But yeah.  Sounds like a good movie and I've been thinking about seeing it.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest