Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 03, 2024, 03:14:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He wants a divorce  (Read 415 times)
vanillaswirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 27, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »

Hello. It has been quite a while since I have been on the board.

I have been fighting my own health issues for about a month now, and that adds to the stress in my relationship.

A few days ago, my husband says he can't stand to be around me, I anger him whenever I talk, and we need some time apart.

He said he would only talk to me when he needed me to do something for him, and for me to otherwise stay out of his way.

So I did.

Now today, he goes ballistic, saying he wants a divorce because I won't fight for our marriage. I told him that's fine, I understand and he left for work.

Then, he called, again telling me that its my fault because I show him no affection. Or attention... .  but he says he wants me to leave him alone!

If he wants a divorce, why still tell me what I should be doing?

I feel like its another test, but he makes sure this time, he keeps saying "you think I'm joking?"

Don't know what to do... .  make him promises of everything he wants me to say and feed his ego or continue to leave him alone?
No Black Tie Man

Relationship status: Married to BPD/ADHD

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 09:38:55 PM »

It is escalation. You are not doing what he wants you to do, so he is making threats. These threats escalate until he gets what he wants.

I vote for leave him alone.
arabella

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:43:10 PM »

What do you want, vanillaswirl? Do you want a divorce? Do you want therapy? Do you want to work on the r/s? A separation perhaps?

What you decide to do depends very much on what you want.
vanillaswirl

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 09:51:08 PM »

I want a happy marriage (if that's possible)

He blames everything on me and he doesn't care that I'm exhausted between my illness and dealing with him, because he thinks he's perfect.

He says I don't talk to him ( he's right) but its because of the way he talks at me.

He shows me no love or affection whatsoever, but expects me to show him love. He says I'm selfish and just make up excuses and I really don't want to be with him, but he's the one always saying how miserable I make him and how we need to separate
No Black Tie Man

Relationship status: Married to BPD/ADHD

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 09:59:34 PM »

He blames everything on me and he doesn't care that I'm exhausted between my illness and dealing with him, because he thinks he's perfect.

He says I don't talk to him ( he's right) but its because of the way he talks at me.

He shows me no love or affection whatsoever, but expects me to show him love. He says I'm selfish and just make up excuses and I really don't want to be with him, but he's the one always saying how miserable I make him and how we need to separate

I wonder sometimes (still) if it is really BPD that my wife has. Then I read a post like this, which could have been written by me speaking about my wife, and realize all over again that I am married to a disorder, not a person.

I too wanted a happy marriage. I am going through the process now of realizing that my sanity and happiness are more important than my hope for normalcy.
arabella

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 11:32:59 PM »

I hear you! And I get all of this. A lot of what you've written is focused on him and what he does. You can't unilaterally do anything about that. You can only change you.

You want a happy marriage (of course!) - what is it going to take to get there? What can you do to steer yourself in the right direction?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest