Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 15, 2024, 07:20:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A reminder  (Read 388 times)
hergestridge

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 05, 2016, 02:06:49 PM »

It's been almost two years since I broke up with my BPDwife. I have kept contact to a minimum, but still have to have some contact because we have shared custody of our daughter. Things were shaky for the first year with quite a few conflicts, but now it's been ok for some time. More like a respectful silence. When she has come up with suggestions that I have just stated my opinion, left it at that and not engaged in discussion. This has worked rather well.

Considering how good it's been for some time I have felt tempted to be a little less distanced and standoffish because deep inside I am not comfortable with the cold-war atmosphere between us.

And when I did so I was immediately reminded of how impossible it is to do the right thing in relation to someone with BPD.

My exwife told me (by text) that she was going to be home "sick" from work for the next couple of months. When she told me this I felt sorry for her. She's depressed and not feeling very well, I know that.

So I told her not to hesitate if I could help her in some way.

In response to this she asked me to make adjustments in the schedule we have for custody of our daughter. And this had nothing to do with her being ill att all. It's a change that she has suggested several times before and that I have told her that I am not interested in.

I suddenly I remember how it used to be. If I reached out a hand and offered help of sympathy she took advantage of this by trying to win some of her old battles. Whenever someone offered her sympathy she would react like that. She's never here and now. Always focused on some old grudge. If an old friend got in touch she ways always overjoyed because she assumed she would receive an apology of some sorts.

This is very sad for me. I have the luxury of not having any romantic feelings for my exwife any longer, but as time goes I keep forgetting these things. When we meet she seems perfectly normal, so I fantasize about getting closer to her as a friend. But then it rears its ugly head. The entitlement, the manipulative stuff. That happens when I get close or even approach her. It's as if she can't help it.

It just makes me sad and I wanted to write this down in order to process it.
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 08:32:05 AM »

Hi hergestridge,

Thank you for sharing your feelings. I agree that this kind of situation is very sad. I can totally understand your wanting to reach out and get closer (as friends) with your ex. The times when our partners' behavior seems so much like ours, when we don't see the extremes that can happen on a dime, of course we want to forge a more meaningful relationship with them—we care about and love them.

You mentioned that "she can't help it," and this has been my experience as well. In my situation, pwBPD affirmed exactly that. The symptoms of this disorder can be so powerful that they shift pwBPD's perception of reality to something that is in direct opposition to (and causes traumatic/dramatic emotions to arise) what is actually happening. This happened many times in my relationship, and yes, it was very sad.

You know what, though? Honoring your feelings and respecting the boundaries that YOU need to stay healthy are examples that your ex (and all of us) can learn from. 

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 04:35:03 PM »

It is very sad. Sorry to hear that.

I do want to congratulate you. Twice over!

First, you realized that you were getting over your own triggers and wounds from your marriage and the ending of it... .and chose to risk a little more vulnerability toward your ex. That was a courageous thing to do!

Second, your recognized that she was behaving badly, as she had before, and didn't give in.

You are healing. She doesn't seem to be. Sad for her.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest