Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 09, 2024, 02:13:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's ex had weird eating habits or disorders?  (Read 428 times)
Itstopsnow

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 15, 2016, 06:43:36 PM »

Funny, my ex BF used to call me crazy bc I suffer from depression at times and had an eating disorder . Both were in remission. But looking back I see he had major eating disorders going on. He was very thin when we met. 6ft. 175. But the first 6 months we dated he went up to 217. He was not obese but heavy in the middle and full face. He would get mad at me saying I made him get fat bc we didn't eat healthy enough. I didn't gain any weight during this time . In fact I lost weight. He was the one who wanted ice cream all the time and an extra scoop of it where ever we went. I realize he must of been secretly binging at some point during that time. Because he wasn't eating a crazy amount around me. They say binge eating is something people with BPD do sometimes I guess depending on the person. Then during the late spring and summer he started to started to lose weight fast. He was fasting . Skipping lunch and eating only salads . He went back down to 180. Crazy to see that. Maybe it also causes their terrible mood swings. Just wondering if anyone else experienced that
Schermarhorn
formerly nonya24

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 07:08:46 PM »

Mine had an eating disorder
cosmonaut

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 07:59:52 PM »

My ex had an eating disorder that she was able to hide from me for quite a while.  It was something she was profoundly ashamed about, but obviously it was a compulsion.  I knew pretty early on that she had tremendous body image issues, but the eating disorder caught me by surprise.  And it scared me.  In my fear I didn't handle it well, and I'm sure it only added to her shame about it.  Which of course redoubled her efforts to hide it from me.  She is so consumed with shame.  It broke my heart.  Still does.  She's so beautiful and she hates everything about how she looks.
Herodias

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:30:41 PM »

Mine claims to be allergic to foods he does not like the texture of... .he also is obsessed with his weight.
Rmbrworst

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:21:16 PM »

Ate a lot of junk food.  Diet consisted of anything a kid would eat.  He loved McDonalds, ice cream, and candy bars.

GoingBack2OC

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 11:53:03 PM »

Yes. Pretty much always sick. One ailment to another. From bad knee from running, gluten intolerance, iron deficiencies, hormone issues, yada yada yada.

I never called her one but she came off as a hypochondriac. I think it was an easy route to get attention.

If I called and said "Hey today... .I had a bad day".   She would respond "My stomach hurts". Literally, not even acknowledging what I said.
VeraTrue

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 12:15:39 AM »

Mine had severe bulimia. She said the act of purging averted her anxiety attacks as they came on. It didn't seem to be body-image-related, it was some kind of a maladaptive coping mechanism for her panic disorder. But then again, she lied about so much, and obscured all kinds of things so maybe there was a body image aspect that she wouldn't connect with or admit to. She had weakened teeth because of it. It would go into remission for periods of time over the years, she told me. It was a big source of shame for her. She used to tell me that she couldn't imagine me ever throwing up at all. She had a hard time imagining me having any human bodily functions at all. Like being in a human body with all it's messiness was loathsome to her. She couldn't reconcile her idealization of me with the idea of me having a normal body, which made me feel so uncomfortable. She was always saying she wanted to crawl out of her skin. I think the purging was her trying to discard her entire body, like literally trying to turn herself inside out and eject everything that was within herself, to just get it out.

God, she was suffering.
thisagain

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 12:17:55 AM »

My BPD ex had general binge eating phases, and phases where she would fixate on certain foods (some healthy, some not) and eat enormous quantities every day for weeks. There were times when she'd dissociate in the middle of a conversation, to turn away from me and start stuffing her face with the food-of-the-month. She later split that food black, refused to ever eat it again, and still raged about it when we drove past the restaurant over a year later.

She has similar issues as what GoingBack2OC mentioned, plus she'd contradict herself and make choices that (if she actually had the medical condition) would be hugely self-sabotaging. She'd say she had gluten intolerance, binge eat a giant sandwich on regular bread with extra garlic bread, complain inconsolably all night about how her stomach hurt, order the same sandwich the next day. Same thing with acid reflux and tomatoes. Sometimes when I was in pain from my (diagnosed and well-documented) disorders, she would start lecturing me about going gluten-free. Meanwhile she's chowing down.  

GoingBack2OC

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 12:30:58 AM »

My BPD ex had general binge eating phases, and phases where she would fixate on certain foods (some healthy, some not) and eat enormous quantities every day for weeks. There were times when she'd dissociate in the middle of a conversation, to turn away from me and start stuffing her face with the food-of-the-month. She later split that food black, refused to ever eat it again, and still raged about it when we drove past the restaurant over a year later.

She has similar issues as what GoingBack2OC mentioned, plus she'd contradict herself and make choices that (if she actually had the medical condition) would be hugely self-sabotaging. She'd say she had gluten intolerance, binge eat a giant sandwich on regular bread with extra garlic bread, complain inconsolably all night about how her stomach hurt, order the same sandwich the next day. Same thing with acid reflux and tomatoes. Sometimes when I was in pain from my (diagnosed and well-documented) disorders, she would start lecturing me about going gluten-free. Meanwhile she's chowing down.  

Precisely!   She claimed for 2 years about a horrible Gluten intolerance. Then I'd call her one day; and she'd be in a terrible mood, angry, hostile, "I'm breaking out leave me alone I hate you".  She ate a loaf of bread. No joke.

So, why exactly did you eat this loaf of bread?

My 2nd girlfriend (long term prior to this one); was lactose intolerant. Like for real. It was simple for her. She didnt drink milk and limited cheese. There was never, ever a problem. She, YES was lactose intolerant. And she avoided dairy.

Not that hard.
enlighten me

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 01:13:03 AM »

My ex wife did every diet fad there was from cabbage soup to going vegan. She piled on the weight and accused me of being a feeder and wanting her to be fat so others wouldn't find her attractive. She was secretly bingeing and one day while looking for the remote control I put my hand down the side of the sofa and pulled out handfuls of sweet wrappers. There where so many that I filled up a carrier bag full of them. I was told by my boys that after eating she was being sick so a bit of bulimia too.

My exgf only eats organic vegetables, cant tolerate caffeine and goes through purges. She mentioned only yesterday that she was having a healthy month of no naughty food and no drink.

Both my exs found it frustrating that I ate what I liked and hardly put weight on. My ex wife used to feed me up complaining I was too thin. Looking back I think she was trying to make me fat so she didn't feel as bad.

greenmonkey

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 06:44:31 AM »

My exes food of choice were Pot Noodle, and toast (cheap white stuff). She hated anything that was considered healthy and manipulated her young son into believing that fruit and veg were the foods of the devil.

Whenever I cooked she always tipped tons of salt on it as she claimed she was told by her doctor to do so a few years ago 

She drunk about 20 coffees a day at work (fresh not instant) and lived on energy drinks which she also gave to her young son for a young age.

At the end of the relationship she was classified as obese by a consultant who would not carry out the necessary surgery on her knees unless she lost some weight.

UserName69
AKA double_edge, Mr.Jason, Bradley101

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 05:54:40 PM »

Whenever we had a fight she claimed that she didn't eat for a couple days. What a coincidence huh
kc sunshine

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 07:40:15 PM »

Mine hated to shop and would often have nothing in the fridge except a bottle of wine.

Wantingtochange

Relationship status: Dated on and off for 6 years. I left and the relationship is over

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 04:43:22 PM »

Mine was incredibly attractive and yet had such low self esteem (Admitted to me all the time) that she literally would starve herself for long periods then cycle through binge eating for a bit. Then the cycle would repeat.
McKenzie

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 09:54:46 AM »

My ex also suffered from disordered eating which stemmed from his bad self image and poor impulse control. He was overweight and hated it, yet couldn't eat right for long periods of time. He had seasons of exercising which was great, but he also drank A LOT of alcohol. Foods like cookies and pizza were his way to deal with anxiety so he remained overweight.

His poor self image was one of the biggest problems in our relationship and had a massive impact on intimacy. I could touch him only "the right way" and I couldn't say how handsome he is, every time he'd snap at me if I somehow triggered him. Good god, I'm happy that's over.
Moselle

Relationship status: Divorced

Every day is a gift. Live it fully

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 10:42:40 AM »

Mine has BPD and NPD traits, obsessive disorder, general anxiety disorder, impulse control disorder... .and an eating disorder. When her psych said this to me, she said "shame, I'm sorry"

On the eating side there were phases of binging and then she'd start bodybuilding and drop 20 kg.

Her sister had bulimia and the whole family seemed fixated by food. 

UVA2002

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 05:57:20 AM »

Mine rehab for anorexic. Also a major alcoholic and pill abuser among other things.
ladylee

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 12:17:34 PM »

My husband eats alot and food shopped way more than we needed, several times per day. It was a source of arguments between us. Food was thrown out. He liked to cook, it was his hobby, but he was very wasteful, and binge ate, after skipping meals, there did not seem to be regular three squares a day, or budgeted food spending, very weird. He ego tripped on his chef skills. Being the chef was his excuse to spend recklessly.
steelwork

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 12:31:55 PM »

He was a "food as fuel" type. Got really into health shakes, always tweaking his recipe, messing around with different probiotics and stuff. Talked about emotional eating that he did, but I never saw it. I never saw him eat anything just because he liked the taste. I guess it was neurotic if not quite anorexia. Basically, food was tied in with a general sort of hypochondria. Also, he grew up with significant food insecurity (i.e. not enough/poor quality food), so maybe he just never got to like it. But then he also claimed to have an extraordinarily sensitive sense of taste. I gave him some cookies that I baked once, and he started listing all the ingredients. He didn't come close!
knowledgeseeker

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »

Not sure if you call it an eating disorder, but mine was a healthy weight when we met. He would go back and fourth between extremes, gaining, dropping, gaining, working out, not working out. Saying I had to make him 350 calorie meals when he was in his weight loss mode and other times was angry if I didn't have the things he liked on hand to eat as soon as he walked in the door, which were snacky not good for you type thinks and alcohol. He drank excessively on the weekends. The last couple months we were together he would get hammered and it made the kids uncomfortable. He once told me he had no self control when it came to food and that when he was stressed he would over eat. Looking back at pictures of him from his first marriage and our marriage he's been up and down with his weight forever and its tied directly to whats going on with him. He's always stressed out and over the top dramatic about everything so I have no idea if stress really makes him binge. I know he's back to eating steak and lobster with my replacement. I'm petite and can't eat the way he does (he's 6 5" so it was always a point of contention between us and I'm not a drinker so he would get mad at me if I didn't drink with him. I don't miss that part. He would wake up and ask me whats for dinner and I would think are you serious right now... .Always thinking about food, I wanted to say who cares about food. I got to the point where I hated going to the store and trying to figure out what meal was going to make him happy today and if I would get accused of making him fat later. But every time I asked if we could support each other and eat healthy he would say yes and that very day go to the store and buy unhealthy fatty food. I'm healthy again, eating the way I want too and feel like my old self again. I'm a foodie and do enjoy good food but I'm not fixated on it like he is. I look at it as something I need to live, not something I wake up thinking about.
Itstopsnow

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 02:23:51 PM »

I think the eating issues that mine had. And that some may have are due because of a few things. It helps them feel a sense of control. When they are fasting and skipping meals. And punishing themselves or feelings of instant gratification when binging. My ex had weird eating habits. Sometimes wanting a extra vegetable side dish or side salad whenever we are out . And he drank some gross green drink for extra vitamins. But ate like a child most of the time. Ice cream often sometimes daily. Fast food often, junk food. Had a crazy sweet tooth. Weight went up about 40 pounds in 6 months . And then another 7 months he was rail thin. I think he had bouts of depression too. Sometimes going 4 days without a shower. For a short period it was so weird. He was so clingy and I asked him if he was depressed. The eating would change all the time too 
circularref

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 05:21:54 AM »

My ex was skinny as a teenager, then took on 30kg, then turned vegetarian/vegan/pescatarian (it changes from day to day) and lost 20kg which is when I met her. She didn't have any eating disorder, but was as difficult as a spoiled child, I could write a very long list of food she eats, doesn't eat, food she'll eat in some circumstances but not others. She'd be understanding and polite with some friends that eat meat, but show disdain to others. She said she wanted to loose weight, but put no effort into it. She'd put the appearance that she eats healthy but then doesn't, for example she'd prepare food focusing the attention on the main dish: a big salad, but then also eat a sandwich with lots of cheese, mayo and fries. Or she would eat celery and humus and say how lightweight it is because celery has almost no calories. Perhaps the most absurd thing she did: she was eating a lot of bananas at some point, and was really worried she'd get fat on them... .
Mr. Magnet

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 09:23:45 AM »

Mine ate too much and always fighting weight problems, which I just chalked up to one of her borderline traits

of course it was always my fault and if i ever brought home a snack or a treat, she'd claim I was trying to make her fat so she wouldn't leave me

What the heck?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest