Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 01:50:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "I was expecting you to sweep me off my feet"  (Read 402 times)
ADecadeLost

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 18, 2014, 09:00:11 PM »

Received those words in a text from my ex-dBPD wife earlier this evening.  

The words don't surprise me, but they still piss me off at this point.  It's the type of BS I expect, but haven't had to experience thus far through 3 months of legal separation.  Now I'm cringing about having to deal with the BS that will come over the remaining 3 months until the papers are finalized (damn uncontested divorce requirements).  I'd love to go NC, but can't for the sake of keeping the divorce uncontested.  As it stands, she doesn't want my money and has agreed that the dog should stay with me, and I'm just hesitant to do anything that could change that (particularly in regards to the dog).

Anyone dealt with this? Have any suggestions?  I'm feeling great at this point, feeling a freedom I haven't felt in a decade, and I don't want to let her destroy that.  Any help would be appreciated.

david

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 07:04:17 AM »

Keep things business like and don't take the bait. The emotional aspect is difficult to deal with in the beginning. It takes time to be truly emotionally detached. It does get better.

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 08:52:50 AM »

She can destroy your freedom only if you allow her to do so.  Even if you do have to have some contact with her for a few more months, as others have said, ":)on't let her rent space in your head."  It's up to you whether to stay in control of your life, you don't have to hand her the reins.  Boundaries, gotta love them.

maxen
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:10:44 AM »

As it stands, she doesn't want my money and has agreed that the dog should stay with me, and I'm just hesitant to do anything that could change that (particularly in regards to the dog).

good. keep the goal in mind. it's only three months, believe me, only three months.

ADecadeLost

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 07:20:38 PM »

Thank you all for the replies.  The last few days have made it evident that she's having second thoughts, but it's too late for that.  In the 3 months since she filed papers, I've found a sense of freedom that I haven't felt in years.  I'm myself again for the first time in a long time and, as much as part of me will always love her, I can't ever go back to living with the nagging fear that I'll be dealing with her next blow up any moment.  That's not life, and I'm not sure how I ever thought it was.

Just 3 more months, and I will all be over.  Just need to stay the course for now.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest