Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 07:08:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't think he has a conscience  (Read 1203 times)
sm15000

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2013, 09:09:35 AM »

Is it strange that I am usually having no opinion strong enough to do anything other than being "ok" with going along with what everyone else wants? I mean, I know what I want and what I like, but I feel so guilty and anxious trying to get it when other people start making demands so I try to alleviate my anxiety by just saying sure, we can go to eat there, I am fine with those curtains, that movie looks alright to watch. And I am really thinking, I kind of wanted chinese this time, omg I hate orange curtains, I don't like war movies bleh.

Well, you most probably do have opinions strong enough. . .you just sweep those aside for the reasons you have identified - which by the way is a massive step  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

I can be a bit like this - I called it 'easy-going'. . .which sometimes it is, sometimes not.  I think back and there were lots of things with my ex I would go along with - nothing that impacted majorally on me until the end.  Then I knew I had to stand my ground or he would have taken advantage of me forever. . .he was clearly testing what I would put up with.  Cheating, lying, emotional abuse and manipulation was not something I would allow. . .although I was like you - desperate inside for him to stop it/change it/realise it.  In the end, I had to manage this myself.

Excerpt
Probably I seem to many people here like I am BPD myself

No, you are just confused. . .and then you cannot think clearly.  Everybody here has most probably questioned themselves

Excerpt
He reacted, first with anger, then silence, then confusion... .  he says he doesn't even know what to do now. He is baffled. He doesn't get it. All he says he gets is that I am upset over her but he isn't doing anything wrong, he wants things to be ok, and so he gets frustrated and starts trying to MAKE me be ok because he is tired of it. He is really frustrated.

I expect so.  It's not going to (his) plan is it?  He wants you to stop putting up boundaries, let him get his own way and sweep it under the carpet. . .again - with the rest of the rubbish he has never taken accountability or showed any empathy for.

Excerpt
He doesn't understand why after all this time, I am in such a state of grief. He doesn't appear to comprehend the long term emotional effects of his actions. He said he felt like trashing his accounts of his game was the only real solution. I don't need him to trash his accounts, I need empathy and for him to stop trying to force me to "get over it" on his time and instead let me heal on *my* time

We're back to he won't. . .that's down to you. . .and it's up to him what he does with his 'game accounts'.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

TigerEye

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »

Hey Elemental

Just wanted to send a   a say how sorry I am that you are suffering in this way right now.

I have been following this thread since it started and have to say that because I can relate to your situation (although some circumstances are different) I have also been able to find the strength in me to say "No", I don't want this when I am trying to heal after what has happened. I have taken the bold step (for me) of stating my boundary and the consequences of it being crossed, and because this was met with the usual resistance, the blaming of me for not being able to just accept it, the guilt trips, the accusations and the lies and deceit, I have followed through and removed myself from the r/s. It is now up to her to show me she is serious about this relationship, she knows what she has to do if she wants me in her life. It's time for her to decide which of those double standards she wants to live by.

For me, this has been the right thing to do, I could not carry on with things being the way they were and being told to "grow a pair" when she couldn't even see the hurt or the damage that her affair(s) have had on our r/s. It has given me some space to sort things through in my head without having the daily battle with twisted thinking, distorted reality and the talk of getting back in contact with one of those people because they aren't well just now and she feels guilty because she should be there for them right now - really?. I think she thinks I will always be there for her as I have had trouble with my boundaries in the past and have stuck with her when maybe I should have left before. Now she is facing the reality that actually I won't stand by and let her walk all over my feelings.

I could move past what has happened, but like you, I need time to heal and her current behavior isn't helping one little bit. So thank you for this thread, I sincerely hope you are finding the inspiration you need to make the right choice for you, you will be able to find a way through and it will be on your terms and that will feel good, it does for me!

Take care of you Elemental
briefcase
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married 18 years, together 20 years, still living together

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2013, 01:25:13 PM »

Staff only

This has been a worthwhile topic, but we have reached our four page limit so I am locking this thread.  Feel free to start a new thread to continue the discussion.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest