Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 04:26:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Think My Father Might Have BPD  (Read 376 times)
Oldest Son 03
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Complicated

« on: July 16, 2020, 09:32:53 PM »

Hi everyone,

Like the subject says, I think my dad might have BPD. He has his good times where he smiles and haves fun. But for the majority of the time he's either angry or rude and mistreats my mother and siblings. He just gets really upset sometimes over the smallest things. I use to think it was because he bottled his anger about other things but I can't really see someone always having as much built up hatred as he does. He could really go from having the time of his life to yelling his lungs out.

I try to let things go and try to understand where he might be coming from, but I can't. There's sometimes where he gets paranoid about my mother going to work, there's times where he gets jealous of relationships that he doesn't think includes him. He also is very controlling and tries to manipulate my siblings and mom to do things that only he wants to do. My dad also compares our family to other families and then tries to persuade us to be more like the other families. He's even got to the point to where he chooses to spend more time with others than with us.

I don't know what to do. I can't talk to him about things like this because he denies all of it and shifts the blame onto someone else. Me and him did have a falling out a few years ago because of his personality and actions but I've been trying to help my mom and siblings by talking to him.

Currently, things are becoming worse and my family is starting to grow tired of him. He's gonna end up making them hate him and leave. Which would make things worse because he's already told us multiple times that he wouldn't let them leave.

Do you think he had BDP and if he does or doesn't, what should I do?
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 08:35:38 PM »

Hi Oldest Son 03Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Welcome to our online family! I'm glad that you reached out and shared your introductory post with us. I always feel it's a big step to reach out. It takes courage.

Your dad sounds like he definitely has some behavioral issues going on. Has he always been like this? I think that eventually our ability to handle the constant stress of living with someone who has anger issues (among other things) brings us to a place where we find it really difficult to handle. Then add to that the pain that we see our other loved ones going through, and it can feel pretty hopeless.

Excerpt
I don't know what to do. I can't talk to him about things like this because he denies all of it and shifts the blame onto someone else. Me and him did have a falling out a few years ago because of his personality and actions but I've been trying to help my mom and siblings by talking to him.

It's wise that you don't confront him. They are, in their own way, projecting out the pain that is inside them, and they cannot understand or even see what they're doing. It's like they're blind to it. Are you still living at home with your mom and siblings?

One of the tools that has helped me a lot in dealing with dysfunction is to use a term called JADE. Don't JADE. Why don't you take a look (click on the hyperlink) and see if there is some help there for you?

Looking forward to hearing from you again,
Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest