Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 01:35:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: >Trying a different approach with this most recent Break  (Read 273 times)
PrincessPeach
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up

« on: December 09, 2023, 11:36:55 PM »

Today is day 1.

It ended on the phone this morning (LDR exw/BPD). It’s ended several times. Unlike in previous instances, this time I self-regulated and acted mature. Unlike in previous instances, I didn’t argue or try to keep him around or beg him to not tear it up. I let him say all of the mean things he wanted, sound off about all of the things I had done, about what he deserved, then when he asked if I had anything to say, I said no (unlike in previous instances), and then it was over. We hung up.

It hurts. It’s been 13 hours and I’ve experienced the full range of emotions.

It was day to night in the blink of an eye yesterday. He was sweet on me in the morning through the afternoon. By the time he called me that night he was a different man. I tried to give him the reassurance that I know he’s needing when he starts pulling away. I verbally acknowledged that his behavior was out of fear, that everything was okay and would be okay and I loved him and it’s okay to be scared and so on. There were tiny glimpses of him softening when I was trying to nurture him. Like the sweeter side of him was trying to poke through the Dark Mode. But Dark Mode won.

This morning he called, said he didn’t know where all of that came from last night and asked if we could just call it a bump in the road. It seemed like I had the sweeter side of him back, but within minutes of this he was telling me that I was garbage to him and standing in the way of him finding what he deserved.

In previous endings, I would cry and fight for our relationship and not be able to leave him alone for very long. I just can’t help but wonder how it affected him for me to just say “okay” and let him go easy this time. I don’t know what but I hope it makes him think hard.

Of course, while I feel much more equipped and less like a codependent wreck who can’t leave him alone (I’ve been working on that since our LAST breakup) I can’t help but wonder if/when he will split back and reach out to me again, but I’m not holding my breath.

I did some things that caused him to not trust me, with that being his sole focus during Dark Mode. Outside of Dark Mode, he was optimistic about repairing our relationship and repairing the trust. Optimistic and carefree about our companionship.

Does anyone have any experience where you reacted differently to a breakup (in an on/off r/s) than usual, and how that affects that person’s emotions? If he’s used to me trying to talk to him/show him I care when he ends it, I am wondering how he will react to this radio silence over time.
tina7868
Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 08:13:47 PM »

Hi PrincessPeach! Welcome! I am sorry for the circumstances that brought you here, but thank you for sharing what you are going through. These situations are difficult to navigate. Here, you will have support from people who have been through similar experiences.

Excerpt
Does anyone have any experience where you reacted differently to a breakup (in an on/off r/s) than usual, and how that affects that person’s emotions? If he’s used to me trying to talk to him/show him I care when he ends it, I am wondering how he will react to this radio silence over time.

It`s hard to tell, given I don`t know your ex, how he will react, but I can share my own experience.

Once upon a time, I was objectively poor at regulating my emotions. Couple that with an up and down relationship with my ex, and there was regular drama. When we broke up (also many times), I would write long gloopy e-mails telling him how much I missed him. He would tell me that we `wouldn`t speak again for a thousand years,` and I would burst out crying and try to call him, in a compulsive way. He`d eventually rescind, and the cycle would start over. Almost a year and a half ago, when my ex grew very distant, and started seeing someone, something changed in me. Maybe moving out and being influenced by a very stable and caring friend, maybe learning about myself, maybe thinking there has to be a better way. I completely stopped reacting outwordly. Mind you, I would spiral behind the scenes, and still very much missed him, but I presented a mature, and thoughtful face in all our interactions.

Excerpt
This morning he called, said he didn’t know where all of that came from last night and asked if we could just call it a bump in the road. It seemed like I had the sweeter side of him back, but within minutes of this he was telling me that I was garbage to him and standing in the way of him finding what he deserved.

Part of me feels like, having more control over my emotions, and being less `unhinged`, maybe made my ex feel a loss of control over me. There may be some similarities with the dynamic at play with your ex as well. When there is a somewhat predictable pattern between two people, and one does something different, it can be unsettling. It can even put the other person in a position where they feel vulnerable to rejection. Time will tell.

However, the important question has more to do with you and less with him. How did it feel for you to take this new approach? What made you choose to act differently?

SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 11:27:02 PM »

Welcome to the fam.  Welcome new member (click to insert in post) Please feel free to share as much as you want to and ask as many questions as you need to. Obviously everything is still real fresh and it is even more charged considering the holiday time. Therefore I will ask that you take the time to use this outlet and resource to help keep you balanced. So as to not overwhelm I'll leave it there for now.

Continue to engage with the community at large. You'll find many of us understand and we get it. Also this is a pretty safe place so no judgment. Let us know how we can help you.

In the meantime please be kind to you and take care of yourself.

Cheers and Best Wishes!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest