Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 03:06:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the hotel option  (Read 678 times)
zondolit

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: separated

« on: December 20, 2021, 03:23:01 PM »

Hi all,

I finally did something I've considered for a long time but was never quite brave enough to do: in the middle of the night when my uBDP husband persisted in trying to continue a discussion (aka pick a fight) after I said I was done talking and needed to sleep, and even after I'd moved to another room and he twice followed, I just up and calmly left the house and checked into a hotel.

I hope I don't need to do this again, but the option is there if I need it.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 03:29:21 PM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Good for you! Follow through is everything!

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
15years

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 05:55:25 AM »

What was his response? Did he accuse you of being cold/evil/fake or something like that? Or did he worry about you a lot? Has this event come up in discussions later?

I think if I would do something like this my wife would call me arrogant and abusive and tell me that I'm trying to be someone i'm not and also probably accuse me of controlling her.

And it might be that at first she'd be worried about me and happy to have me back at home, but later (days or weeks later) she would start accusing me until I beg for her forgiveness.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 11:30:40 AM »

If your partner accuses you of negative traits because you had to leave the house for the night, your boundaries need to be shored up. Nip that in the bud with a question such as “Do you remember what led up to me leaving?” Certainly you should never apologize for protecting yourself.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
ThanksForPlaying

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 09:01:18 PM »

Great point about boundaries, Cat. The funny thing is, after a week or two, sometimes even I can't remember exactly why I protected myself - there have been several incidents since then that all kind of run together. So much chaos that the new stuff quickly overtakes last week's stuff. Which of course is not a great path to be on. But your point is helpful - thanks.
15years

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 12:33:13 PM »

Thanksforplaying - exactly. I keep I diary on my computer at work and I work week days only, so on mondays I have a hard time remembering what happened on friday and saturday. Especially if Sunday was chaotic. And the less I remember about a situation (my feelings, her feelings, what happened, why I reacted in a certain way etc.) the more I question myself.
mitten

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 03:36:20 PM »

I hope I don't need to do this again, but the option is there if I need it.

That must have taken a lot of courage.  Way to go!  Those middle of the night rages are the worse...when all you want to do is sleep but your adrenaline is pumping because of the chaos...
zondolit

Relationship status: separated

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 01:05:58 PM »

Excerpt
What was his response? Did he accuse you of being cold/evil/fake or something like that?

I've been focusing on making decisions based on what I think is right, not on the reaction I expect from someone else. Does this lead to challenging responses from others? You betcha!

He was angry, agitated, accusatory, and tried to use his body to block me from leaving--the most physically abusive he's been--but ultimately let me leave.

Excerpt
Or did he worry about you a lot?

No, not at all. He was focused on how my leaving put him in an awkward situation: How was he going to buy the expensive piece of equipment he'd scheduled for 9am? What was he supposed to tell the kids? Etc.

Excerpt
Has this event come up in discussions later?

I agreed to meet him to talk in a public place the next morning.

Excerpt
I think if I would do something like this my wife would call me arrogant and abusive and tell me that I'm trying to be someone i'm not and also probably accuse me of controlling her.

Well, he tells me I'm abusive for much smaller (non-existent?) things so what did I have to loose?  Smiling (click to insert in post)

And how did I feel? My adrenaline was pumping. I found it very hard to think straight for a few days; I was forgetful. But I also found it very freeing and exciting: I'd made a change that broke part of our dysfunctional pattern. I felt I had some good power, not just manipulation or walking on eggshells type of stuff.

I also, somewhat uncharacteristically, told a number of friends and family that I'd gone to a hotel in the middle of the night. I was afraid of disapproval, or at least misunderstanding ("but your husband's such a great guy!" "wasn't that a bit extreme?"), but they were very supportive.

Thank you, all.
mitten

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 02:37:36 PM »

Awesome steps!  Way to go!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest