Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 04:15:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex claiming daycare expenses on non-court ordered CS  (Read 393 times)
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Dissolved

« on: January 25, 2019, 05:17:24 PM »

Hello. It looks like S4’s mom is going to claim the CS that I gave her which supposedly paid for daycare on her taxes. She has since refused any further CS. She now has DC assistance through the state. My question is, since this money wasn’t court ordered, can this money be seen as a gift? The checks that I wrote her listed CS on the memo line.

There was a generic receipt (from one of those booklets that you can buy at Staples) that list when the “cash” payments started to when they stopped. There are discrepancies here. My payments to S4’s mom go beyond the final payment listed on the receipt, and start before the first payment on the receipt. I’m assuming that since I wrote CS on the memo line instead of DC that this is null and void. Still, I’d appreciate any feedback.

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 03:26:46 PM »

I could jump in with all sorts of angles and statements (I'm not sure what DC is?) but it just boils down to... .

If you're divorced (or not married and relationship ended), she's doing her taxes separate from yours and it won't impact your own tax paperwork then... .it's her decision how she declares items on her taxes.  If IRS contests, well, they'll be reaching out to her most likely.  She's an adult, it's her consequences.  If IRS reaches out to you, then state your position and provide your appropriate docs.

Starting this year any child support (CS) orders will continue the tax liability of the payer.  The big change is with alimony, starting with 2019 any new or revised alimony orders are the payer's tax responsibility too.  In years past the recipient had to list alimony.  Everyone loved it that way since usually the payer had higher income and the recipient often had minimal income, so the tax man got less.  The govt got smart and changed the rules starting Jan 1 for new or revised alimony orders.

Sandb2015

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living apart, kicked out on 12/19 after meeting 3/19/2015

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 03:45:05 PM »

Hey JNChell,

The state you are in may help.

Are you saying the CS is NOT court ordered?  If not, it is not a gift especially if she is declaring it as income. 

What is DC?

I'm in NY, It matters what she is declaring.  What you wrote on the check or received a receipt for is relevant, it shows money only changed hands. 

Just because you think it, doesn't make it true.
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »

DC is daycare. Sorry, I assumed it was on the list of abbreviations. I should’ve looked first. From what I see, she’s not listing it as income. She cashed my checks, paid cash and is listing it as an expense.

-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 05:33:45 PM »

I should also point out that we were never married. Also, that when she requested CS during the breakup, she said it was just that. CS. Just before she denied “CS”, and added another state benefit to her list of many (state daycare assistance), she stated that I had been paying for daycare only. Now she’s claiming the money that I paid (on her return) as if she had paid it in cash? I’m not interested in pursuing it if I even can. I simply want to be able to see this crap coming in the future.

There are subjects on this board that are very pressing. Much more so than mine. I appreciate the feedback.

-a new friend
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest