Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 09:21:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will I ever be able to handle outbursts without feeling so beaten down?  (Read 2085 times)
mssciart

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married

« on: April 03, 2024, 06:19:56 PM »

Hi all,

I have gotten so many tips and strategies from this forum. It helps to hear other's experiences and the advice they received.

Today was a different kind of outburst from my uBPDh (of 27 years!) and I'm feeling rather beaten down and super sad. He ended up having to go out of town suddenly and knew there were a million things he needed to think about in order to go. I could see (and hear!) his frustrations and concerns and offered to help him get ready. He just kept yelling at me telling me I just couldn't understand everything he needed to think about and that's why he was so angry. I stayed calm and said I could see that he was frustrated and thought I'd offer to take some things off his plate.

Needless to say, that didn't go well. He just started acting like a crazy man. Running around doing things and then almost acting paralyzed at times. I mostly stayed out of the way but he still managed to find me and yell that I "don't get it" and that I "don't understand the stress he's under."  He even yelled that he wouldn't be feeling this way if I hadn't encouraged that he go. Geez, he's just going out of town for a day! And I only encouraged him because he said it was the right thing to do and I didn't want to stop him.

He calmed down enough and I did help him get out the door. But I'm left feeling wiped out and unloved and disrespected.

What else could I have done? I know he's blaming me for the feelings he was having as he stressed to get out the door. We've not been on great terms lately so maybe that came into play in his feelings of being overwhelmed. That's one reason I was able to stay fairly calm to see if it would help calm him down as well.

I know (based on past experiences) that he may say he was sorry for yelling but I also know that he won't see the destruction he leaves by doing it.

I'd like to tell him it was disrespectful and unacceptable but would that even register with him? And I'd really like to tell him that he needs therapy to control that anger over fairly insignificant things. It was something in which he just needed to take a step at a time and get it done rather than going off the deep end.

I'm not even sure if this is BPD behavior. But he's clearly emotionally uncontrolled in the moment. Any thoughts or suggestions on how I can handle this when we talk?

Thanks for any insights!!

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 04:29:05 PM »

I could see (and hear!) his frustrations and concerns and offered to help him get ready. He just kept yelling at me telling me I just couldn't understand everything he needed to think about and that's why he was so angry. I stayed calm and said I could see that he was frustrated and thought I'd offer to take some things off his plate.

You were being kind, offering to help, and your presence served as an opportunity for him to dump his displaced anger/fear/anxiety onto you. Sometimes even offering assistance can be misinterpreted as you thinking that he is incapable/incompetent.

Needless to say, that didn't go well. He just started acting like a crazy man. Running around doing things and then almost acting paralyzed at times. I mostly stayed out of the way but he still managed to find me and yell that I "don't get it" and that I "don't understand the stress he's under."  He even yelled that he wouldn't be feeling this way if I hadn't encouraged that he go. Geez, he's just going out of town for a day! And I only encouraged him because he said it was the right thing to do and I didn't want to stop him.

In the future, knowing how he is likely to respond, perhaps leaving the house might be a good strategy—you’ve got grocery shopping to do or you’ve got to pick up something at the cleaners—handy to have a number of excuses in your pocket.

He calmed down enough and I did help him get out the door. But I'm left feeling wiped out and unloved and disrespected.

Why even help him when he’s being disrespectful and unkind? I withdraw my presence and/or attention when civility disappears.

What else could I have done? I know he's blaming me for the feelings he was having as he stressed to get out the door. We've not been on great terms lately so maybe that came into play in his feelings of being overwhelmed. That's one reason I was able to stay fairly calm to see if it would help calm him down as well.

Staying calm is a great strategy for YOU, as it gives you more access to all your emotional resources, but it may not help HIM calm down, as you’ve seen. He could perceive it as mismatching and that you’re judging him for his behavior, which you might be doing, and with good reason.

I know (based on past experiences) that he may say he was sorry for yelling but I also know that he won't see the destruction he leaves by doing it.

Empathy is not a strength for individuals with personality disorders. Apologies, if given at all, are often rote and boilerplate.

I'd like to tell him it was disrespectful and unacceptable but would that even register with him? And I'd really like to tell him that he needs therapy to control that anger over fairly insignificant things. It was something in which he just needed to take a step at a time and get it done rather than going off the deep end.

I’m inclined to say something personal, like: “I felt disrespected when you did X.” That makes it less likely for him to feel criticized and judged by you. Hard to quibble with someone else’s feelings, though it still happens. The issue with suggesting he *needs* therapy or he *needed* to take things a step at a time is that all of that he will interpret as criticism and judgment. Most people are somewhat to very sensitive to criticism and judgment. For people with personality disorders, this is like pouring salt on an open wound.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 06:45:35 PM »

my dad didnt have bpd, but he tended to behave similarly when he was under stress, particularly if he had lost something. in one case, he might start insulting himself. in another, he might tear up the house and fume about no one helping him.

my mom tended to cope with it by trying to manage things for him. by encouraging various strategies, like organizational ones, or by encouraging mental health treatment, etc. he rejected all of them, or worked around them.

the dynamic was such that often he was often both overly dependent upon, and resentful of her help.

i see a little bit of that trap here.

people with bpd traits just dont do stress well. and they tend to cope with it in disorganized, and chaotic ways. by and large, that doesnt change (sometimes, people with bpd traits do better with stress with age) and efforts to change it tend to meet resistance, and/or resentment.

beyond that, they have deep fears and insecurities. being, or being seen as, incompetent may be one, especially for men.

i think that in terms of big picture, its important not to fall into the trap of managing or "taking care" of him. youll find him rejecting it, feeling resentful of it, and you feeling rejected and disrespected.

that is not to say "never try to help". but lots of people are sensitive about the ways in which we give and receive help. me, for example, its a huge pet peeve when im hunting for something, and someone asks me "what are you looking for?" because now i have to stop my hunt and tell them  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post) from their end, theyre just trying to help!

so, one thing i like to do is just ask "how can i help?". and if that offer is rejected, not to take it personally, but to let that person manage themselves, in the manner they choose. if that manner causes me stress, i try to get out of the way of it.

Excerpt
I also know that he won't see the destruction he leaves by doing it.

he probably does, more than you may think, and it probably adds to his insecurities, rather than it pushing him to change. the more you push, the more likely he is to get defensive.

sometimes difficult people compensate or apologize for their...difficulty, by being a little "extra" in a certain area. my dad, for example, wasnt always great at being emotionally supportive, so instead hed show it by cooking. it wasnt obvious, but it was real. keep an eye open for that.

i personally wouldnt bring up the incident. he may, or he may want to skip past it. assuming that he doesnt, i would focus more on what to do, or not to do, next time.

this book is full of great explanations, and strategies: https://bpdfamily.com/book-reviews/stop-caretaking-borderline-or-narcissist

« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 06:47:58 PM by once removed » Logged

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest