Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 05:50:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Testing times ahead  (Read 379 times)
infiniteeyes

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 20, 2015, 06:33:02 PM »

Hello all 

Well a little update since my last post.

My DD16 and I had a conference meeting on Friday morning. We have had these kind of meetings before but this one was definitely more "serious" for the want of a better word!

There were a whole host of professionals present. The Head Social worker herself, 2 other social workers, family support worker, community psych nurse, DD's psychologist and DD's school principal, the juvenille liason officer and a new face the drug and alcohol counsellor for youth.

Wow it really was over-whelming.

There were basically a few recommendations put forward with the most significant one being that an application be put forward for secure care if my DD's behaviour continues to escalate as there is serious concern about the risk she is putting herself at, with her alcohol and drug use and absconding and sexual activity.

So there will be another meeting in 2 months time to discuss the lay of the land.

My fear is that DD still is not really taking all of this very seriously. Or that if she is she is not showing it. And there could probably be more of the same behaviour if she doesnt open up and be honest about her fears and anxieties regarding being "locked up"

Just tonight she is hounding me to let her go to a house party in another town this weekend coming.

I wonder if it really isnt sinking in or if she is testing my boundaries to see my reaction.

Anyway, Im bracing myself for the next two months. It will be a test for us both and all involved.

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 03:03:53 PM »

Sounds like some strong boundaries are needed.  If she does her own thing the natural consequences will be the lead teacher for her.

Staying strong and being her parent will be tough and necessary.

lbj

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
infiniteeyes

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 05:44:27 PM »

Thank u for your reply lbjnltx 

I agree with the boundaries. It starts with the little things, I find. If you dont watch the little things it tends to spiral out of control. For instance tonight she wanted me to put the wifi on for an extra hour as I turn it off at 11pm. This was discussed with her a week before school started back. Tonight, for some reason, it bothered her. I listened to her give me all the reasons why I should turn it back on but I stood firmly. Que some door banging and cursing. However she apologised afterwards which is a positive.

I will do anything it takes to keep her out of secure care. Unfortunately though, the ball is well and truly in her court. She has never been in care before so Im sort of clueless.  I dont imagine it would be a pleasant experience for her. And Im not really sure if it would be of any benefit to her or if it would just harden her heart against me. The only one thing positive I can come up with is that at least Ill know shes safe.

Its tough. X.

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 10:53:26 AM »

Yes infiniteeys,

Stay off the slippery slope.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Can you tell me... .what is "secure care"?  Is it inpatient state hospitalization?

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
infiniteeyes

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »

It is state run yes. But it is less like a hospital and more like a care home for at risk youths between the ages 11 and 17.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest