Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 11:17:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was I painted black because I attempted to hold my exBPD responsible  (Read 402 times)
Newyoungfather

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 13, 2018, 02:54:30 PM »

Looking back at my relationship with the exBPD I'm trying to realize why I was painted black for no reason at all.  Usually when she would shoplift and I would catch her she would break up with me, not talk with me for a few days and then get back together.  So it seems like BPD don't like the person who holds them accountable, what do you think?
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 09:00:07 PM »

I'd say that not agreeing to be complicit in her crimes it was a good bet she'd be angry at you. 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
MeandThee29

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 09:25:39 PM »

Exactly.

Mine tells his relatives he has no clue why I won't reconcile with him. Maybe because he's been threatening divorce for years, and I finally decided I didn't want to live with that? Maybe because he's threatened to ruin me financially?

He complains that our young adults don't want anything to do with him. Maybe because he really didn't have a personal relationship with them growing up? Maybe because he left twice and has treated their mom like cr*p?

And so on. I'm continuously amazed that he thinks that we can just overlook all of this and pretend that he's like anyone else.
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 04:20:26 AM »

Hi Newyoungfather,

I think oftentimes confronting a pwBPD (or anyone, for that matter) with their “crimes” can evoke quite a bit of shame, and when that happens, the first impulse is to strike back and/or run away.

That said, if she’s shoplifting, she may want to be careful of the consequences. I’m sure the law will hold her responsible.

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 12:15:04 PM »

Shame and invalidation.

She knew it was wrong. She looked the other way. You held up a mirror.

Does that fit?

Insom

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »

Hi, Newyoungfather.  You've gotten some good feedback from Skip, heartandwhole, MeandThee and Turkish. How are things going?  Any new insights about what happened in your relationship?

Newyoungfather

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 08:05:51 PM »

Hello Everyone,
Sorry for the long delay, I've been dealing with problems left and right with the exBPD. 
@Inson, yes everyone's comments gave me more insight on the failed relationship.
@Skip
"Shame and invalidation.

She knew it was wrong. She looked the other way. You held up a mirror.

Does that fit?"

Yes this fits perfectly, every therapist we went to she turned against when they told her she needs help.  It seems like every time I tried to show her how her actions hurt our relationship, aka hold her responsible, she lashed out.
Jeffree

Relationship status: divorce

Encourage Mint

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »

Mine moved out two weeks after I caught her talking up some guy in the middle of the night.

All I told her when I discovered the calls on her cell phone activity, after I heard her speaking in hushed tone at 3 a.m. one day, was that she should devote more time cleaning up her messy rooms instead of speaking to XXXXX XXXXXX in the middle of the night.

Her response was to move out because I "was spying on her."

Yeah, I'd say they don't like being held accountable for their shenanigans too much.

J

"Live as if your life depended on it." ~ Werner Erhard
tornANDfrayed

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 09:12:22 PM »

They absolutely can’t be held responsible and knowing full well what they’re doing/what they did is wrong, they will make it out like you’re irrational and throw in the towel when confronted. Which can mean painting you black to avoid the self shame.

I remember my BPDex basically reaching the ‘hands in the air/I give up’ moment a few times when I would put my foot down to crummy behavior. It’s like a child trying to deny a lie desperately to the very end knowing they’ve been discovered and then making you out to be the bad guy for pressing them on it.  I’m not sure if they truly convince their minds that you are just being unkind and are therefore toxic to them but we all know the shame is too much for them to handle so perhaps they protect themselves in this way.
Newyoungfather

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 09:13:55 PM »

@tornANDfrayed
Yes this makes very logical sense, she would try to lie and when she got caught she acted like a little kid.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest