Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 04:54:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lesson Learned: Don't be Billy the Bass  (Read 332 times)
rougeetnoir

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 03, 2014, 01:38:24 PM »

This will start like it has nothing to do with anything, but I promise it will:

When I was in college, we had a friend whom we nicknamed "Billy the Bass" (his name wasn't billy-- it was after the wall mounted talking bass in the infomercials and in the McDonald's ads).  We gave him the nickname, because he always "took the bait."  So, for instance, he got a summer internship working for a major brewing company and every time we ordered a product from their rival he'd get upset and tell us we were "taking money out of his pocket."  Obviously, being juvenile males, we'd order that other brand's beer on purpose just to chuckle at him.

Many of you probably can see where this is going, but today I had to exchange some emails with my exBPD concerning the termination of our house lease.  She has to return some documents and is obviously holding on for as long as she can in an effort to provoke me.  I sent her an email asking her to do so quickly (that this was a business and not a personal or legal concern) and she replied with one filled with FOG, lies, and deflection.  I replied again to the point and more of the same.  As I was typing a sentence in the second email, the connection went off in my head: ":)on't be Billy the Bass!"  I erased that sentence (which wasn't angry, but put me off topic) and continued with the clear, polite request.  She replied again as a BPD does and I replied with "So you've don it then?"  Silence.  

I think a lot of the SET technique is about this, but it seems easier to repeat to oneself ":)on't be Billy the Bass!"

So, now that I am out, I should remember that I have tools to help us not take the bait:  slow down communications (lots of members talk about only emailing), keep repeating "don't take the bait," (I've also started saying "It's not my fault" when I get stressed) and keep your eyes on the prize: You aren't contacting to chat-- you are contacting to get stuff (in my head I use a four letter s word) done.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »

I like Billy The Bass, that's a great analogy. Sounds like you did well.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

We also have a short thread here on this subject:

TOOLS: Responding to hostile email

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest