Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 11:25:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hoy moly... macaroni  (Read 364 times)
balagan

« on: February 16, 2012, 02:47:39 PM »

Well tonight I decided to go to a comedy night with my friends in Dubai. I have been 5 weeks NC and doing what I thought was pretty well.

My exBPDgf walked in and then proceeded to sit about 5ft away from me with mutual friends. I developed that sinking feeling where I knew I wasn't really going to enjoy the night. After the first act I bailed and went for a cigarette outside and then came back just in time for the second act to start. I noticed she kept looking at me. Our mutual friends said hi and we both commented on the apparent awkwardness of the situation.

After the second act I stayed in my seat and guess who came to talk to me to say "Hi". I wasn't very receptive and she for some reason couldn't understand this. I stated I saw no reason to say hi to her and pretend that everything was hunky dory. I then gave it both barrels about how much of a btch she had been for the last 5 months, and in particular out last interaction. She of course couldn't remember any specifics. She accused me of not being a man because I didn't want to be civil to her. I called her out on this and told her I really wasn't interested in hearing her crap anymore. She then went on about how she had only good memories about our relationship. I told her it was a fantasy and it had been a nightmare for me and quite possibly the worst experience of my life. She kept going on about herself etc.

I shut her down and told her to just leave me alone and pretend we had never met. She then proceeded to cry in front of our mutual friends so of course I know look the bad guy.

To be frank I don't care one iota. She can play her games all she wants -  I am indifferent. Sorry for the rant.

Off to the Philippines tomorrow for a week of sublime diving and underwater photography.
jacksondog

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »

Wow! It's nice to see a Non BPD get the last word and have control over a relationship. Bravo for you.
AdamC

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »

Hi Balagan... .When you went for the cigarette you should have kept on going, you already knew that you wouldn't enjoy the night with her there. 5 weeks is very early days for NC, you will need alot more time NC before you'll be able to handle that kind of situation. You must do all you can to remain NC even if that means leaving an event that you have every right to be at. Do not talk to her, it's fruitless they'll never see things the way you do.

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 05:47:54 PM »

Excerpt
To be frank I don't care one iota. She can play her games all she wants -  I am indifferent.

In order to be indifferent, you've got to be indifferent.

Excerpt
I then gave it both barrels about how much of a btch she had been for the last 5 months. I shut her down and told her to just leave me alone and pretend we had never met. Off to the Philippines tomorrow for a week of sublime diving and underwater photography.

Indifference is the goal, but in this case you've managed fight and flight. Engage and withdraw.

Physically, your body knows no difference between the mind's determination of an ending - you are placing yourself in stress by fighting. Once you return from P.I., the truth of your "indifference" will surface when you see each other again and start the fight anew. Nothing's resolved.

Fight or flight is just another way of trying to get a person who cannot hear you to listen.  It is about voicelessness and ego. Your anger, while appropriate, needs a validating listener to exhaust itself onto- leading you toward a resolution of the internal conflict.  Anger does not exhaust itself if unvalidated- it merely grows and erupts in self immolating cycles of stress- and yes, it can fester and become an infectious addiction.

While it takes several attempts to work through and break free of this addictive pattern- the truth is that you may not want to stop trying. Anger is a shield one carries in an attempt to show hurt. Engaging in anger, especially in a public arena is the ego trying to preserve itself.

If you continue to give it to this person (in a public place) with "both barrels" you're only going to suffer, especially if you continue trying to be the respected party in this manner. The end result will be even more disrespect directed at you (from onlookers as well,) leading you down the path of guilt or even shame. That's not healthy self preservation and does more damage to your ego.

Letting go is an action. It is a verb. Ignoring someone is an action. Engaging them is also an action, but it demands a fight response. Ignoring this person speaks volumes and curtails your stress hormones while containing your self esteem. Anything other than ignoring a person (who has hurt you) and your action has the opposite effect on ego and self preservation.

Nothing is going to change the past. What has happened, has happened. Indifference is the letting go of the outcome of a failed attachment.

Indifference is also the outcome of losing the need for external validation.  If this person has a personality disorder, stop taking it personally. There was nothing that wasn't already written in the cards. Claim that as you release yourself from guilt and let go. Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

balagan

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:32:46 PM »

Thanks 2010. In the cold light of day I know I could have handled it better but the positive is at least I didn't wake up with her beside me this morning Smiling (click to insert in post)
balagan

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 06:52:25 AM »

Its surprising the how much of an impact the incident has had on me today. I had to drive to Abu Dhabi from Dubai today in a major sandstorm and a lot of the journey was spent ruminating over last nights incident. There is a part of me that wants to reach out to her as she was visibly upset, but I'm well aware of the fruitlessness of this action. I suppose that my anger last night stemmed from the fact that via my previous actions I had set the boundary of NC and she had already ignored that by sending me an email and leaving me gifts. On those occasions I had ignored her successfully.

Last night when she approached me it was in the full glare of friends and I felt cornered. I thought it had been obvious that I wanted no interaction with her by the fact that I had been blanking her stares all evening. She chose to ignore my boundary again and I felt I had no choice but to make it crystal clear where I stood and blow any little fantasy she had clean out of the water. I don't feel good today but I see it as a minor setback on my path to recovery. Hopefully she got the message and has painted me blacker than black.

I suppose the realisation that she is completely incapable of any awareness of how her actions and abuse affected me is another positive I have gained from this. It has confirmed to me that I made the right decision in walking away and cutting contact with her. She truly is FUBAR.

As to the mutual friends, well I'm sure I may have come across as an ass but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Making sure I put my needs first and am firm with my boundaries may result in people perceiving me that way, but as long as I am congruent in word and deed then I am comfortable with my actions.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest