Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 03:23:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update  (Read 705 times)
Foreverhopefull

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: January 03, 2013, 06:53:24 AM »

Every year it's a struggle to get my husband to participate fully to the holidays festivities. This year was something else all together. All I could say was WOW.

He showed up for the festivities on the 24 and 25 of December and the 1st of January. Not only did he showed up, but he fully interacted with everyone. He even came and enjoyed with us the bonfire we did on Christmas day... .  that was one of the things he feared the most, but ended up enjoying the most. He also never comes to New Year's brunch, but he did this year. He even agreed to go eat diner at my parents that evening too. He even went to do the grocery shopping for me yesterday (something he has done maybe every 2nd month or so... .  if I'm lucky)

This year, thanks to him, my mother finally went to the true meaning of Christmas... .  family. He had asked my mother not to get him gifts, that all he wanted was to enjoy good food with people he wanted around him. So everything was planned according to being together as a family and good, simple food. He even said thank you to my mom for the great time.

I do fear that New Year's might bring so step back. My grand-pa is very sick and couldn't make it to brunch (even if we moved it t his retirement home to accommodate him better). At one point, he passed out while I was helping him to get into his bed, which freaked me out and it freaked out my husband too (I'm extremely close to my grand-pa and my husband loves that man as his own grand-father he never had). Since then, he's been extremely anxious and not feeling good.

So I'm hoping that he will keep up being open about how he feels and doesn't shut himself up.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

united for now
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: separated

Talking about solutions create solutions

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:37:18 PM »

Thanks for sharing your success 

What do you think helped your H do better this year than last?

Change your perceptions and you change your life.  Nothing changes without changes
Seahorse1

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »

Always nice to hear positive posts. I'm glad you had a nice Christmas Smiling (click to insert in post)
Scarlet Phoenix
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Together 9 years

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »

Wow, thanks for posting an inspirational story  Smiling (click to insert in post) I hope things continue to go well for you.

~~ The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; who strives valiantly; who errs; who comes short again and again ... and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly ~~ Become who you are ~~
Foreverhopefull

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:19:27 AM »

United,

I think that him knowing from the start that mom had respected his "no gifts" request helped allot, add to that that no one was trying to pretend that it's been a great year and everything is always peachy.

The holidays felt more like us getting together for a casual diner than the stress of the holidays.

united for now
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: separated

Talking about solutions create solutions

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:27:58 PM »

So less stress and lower expectations... .   Smiling (click to insert in post)

Change your perceptions and you change your life.  Nothing changes without changes
Foreverhopefull

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 06:22:08 AM »

Absolutely. No expectations, no stress was the key word this year.

There wasn't tons of people around either so that helped allot too.

The funny part is that things he was worries about he still tried and loved them (i.e. we did a bonfire for Christmas and he was worried about our dog getting too close to the fire and him roaming around or going after a deer and getting hurt, well, he still came out to the fire and actually had a great time, he was one of the last ones in the house.)

He definitely got a A+ for the Holidays.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest