Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 01:39:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Destroyed. Why wont she stop?  (Read 394 times)
Whitefang

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Split 8-2012

« on: January 10, 2013, 05:00:00 AM »

I want to know why my dBPDx has to keep rallying around her friends to keep the abuse alive on her behalf.  Why does she deny me herself and to others?  How can she let them bash me in public and private outing all my secrets and not defend me?  She doesnt join, but feeds them and has them do her dirty work.  They claim to speak for her and she wont refute it.  She has never said any of these things to me herself.  In fact, she wrote me a kinda nice email last wk.saying she doesnt hate me or wish me anything bad.  Yet she wont call them off.  Even strangers know her "story" and attack me with it like im the worst guy to ever walk the earth. 

She starts it then sits back not responding while im fed to the lions.  To me, continuing to be accosted by others this long later shows she still doesnt think ive paid enough price for "hurting" her.  What more can i do?  Ive asked for peace, mercy, negotiate.  But NONE of these ppl will accept my appeal.  Does that mean theyre disordered too?  This has gotten really bad.  How was she able to turn so many against me?  If i heard some of the sruff shes saying, i would never be able to just go with it. 

She told ppl i was a "tranny" and theyre believing it and laughing at me like a freak.  She even messed with my pics and made it look that way.  No offense to someone if theyre like that but its disgraceful to be accused of what im not.  For me, id rather be accused of anything else.  Its been very demeaning to my manhood.  When i do post pics of me somewhere, somebody always says thats not me!  So she denies sleeping with me for two years when i took care of her kids too and was a father figure.  Yes, she even told the kids that awful lie after we broke up.  Im so ashamed and have a terrible rep most anywhere i go online.  They always find me so im constantly leaving. 

I have a professional name i am known by in my field and announcements are made frequently when something is published.  Ive had ppl act suddenly strange to me and know its because theyve been contacted by this group. 

My esteem is GONE.  The kind of work i do is not very forgiving of "freaks" and its cost me alot of work.  Im a grown man whos worked hard for yrs to get my name out there.  Now im ashamed and afraid to even write here due to possible repercussions. 

Ive read here for months and really want some explaination for my direct situation and advice.  Will she ever make this stop the same way she started it?  When has a BPD had enough?  Does she want me back?  Never.
ambi

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:33:32 AM »

Hi HardhabitToBreak:

Welcome   A lot of folks here have had to endure a smear campaign from their ex.  It's especially hard when it's a small community and it happens.  I'm sorry you're going through this.

How long were you two together and how long has it been since the break up?

ambi
schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »

Hi HardHabitToBreak and  Welcome

I want to know why my dBPDx has to keep rallying around her friends to keep the abuse alive on her behalf.  Why does she deny me herself and to others?  How can she let them bash me in public and private outing all my secrets and not defend me?  She doesnt join, but feeds them and has them do her dirty work.  They claim to speak for her and she wont refute it.  She has never said any of these things to me herself.  

If your ex is a pwBPD (person with BPD) then what you are experiencing is called a "distortion campaign."  She is rallying others to subscribe to her distorted recollection of your relationship and the subsequent break-up.  I would guess that when she is having her "pity party" she truly does believe that you abused her during your relationship with her.

I would guess that she doesn't just "allow" them to bash you in public but she encourages them to do so.  Because for them to subscribe to her distortions, her delusions, is a way of reinforcing them and validating them in her head.  She never said any of these things to you directly because at the time she was with you, she probably didn't experience these disordered feelings quite so intensely, or then she was motivated to hide them from you (her disordered feelings) for fear of abandonment (i.e., that you would leave her if you were made aware of her disordered feelings).

In fact, she wrote me a kinda nice email last wk.saying she doesnt hate me or wish me anything bad.  Yet she wont call them off.  Even strangers know her "story" and attack me with it like im the worst guy to ever walk the earth.  

She didn't "hate" you or "wish [you] anything bad" at the time that she wrote the e-mail because she at that moment she needed something from you (probably some kind of validating response) but when she doesn't need something from you, when she is not idealizing you, then she is devaluing you.  She probably does hate you and wish for you bad things.

Strangers know her story because she actively seeks out strangers to communicate her distorted tale of woe.  It is important for her to maintain her delusions when she feels vulnerable.

She starts it then sits back not responding while im fed to the lions.  To me, continuing to be accosted by others this long later shows she still doesnt think ive paid enough price for "hurting" her.  What more can i do?  Ive asked for peace, mercy, negotiate.  But NONE of these ppl will accept my appeal.  :)oes that mean theyre disordered too?  This has gotten really bad.  How was she able to turn so many against me?  If i heard some of the sruff shes saying, i would never be able to just go with it.  

She was able to "turn so many against" you because she is the only one of you two mounting a campaign.  Moreover, she is very sincere and her emotions are very believable because she really does feel them.  However, no one except you has any reason to suspect that she is disordered.  Or if anyone else did, they would also be the subject of such a distortion campaign (i.e., character assassination).

No one will accept your appeal because your reasonable response may only reinforce her distorted account of you.  For example, she probably accused of you being an angry person, so when "strangers" come and ask you why you abused her, you will react (expectedly) in an angry way, thus reinforcing her account of you.  Or she told them that you abuse her and constantly deny abusing her, so are they surprised when you deny abusing her?  She was probably a "waif" (helpless) when she communicated her distorted story.  Most people want to be the "hero" that "rescues" the damsel in distress.  No one wants to suspect that the apparently helpless person who is wailing and crying to be a manipulative disordered person.  They would have to consider (with humility) that they were duped into believing her in the first place and everyone wants to believe themselves to be a good judge of character even though few people have such revealing experiences with personality disordered people.

I have a professional name i am known by in my field and announcements are made frequently when something is published.  Ive had ppl act suddenly strange to me and know its because theyve been contacted by this group.  

You have to defend your professional reputation, but understand that you two will be fighting with different motivations.  You are trying to protect your good name.  She is trying to deal with her disordered feelings and emotions albeit in a dysfunctional manner.  I would venture to say that she will be more strongly motivated than you.

Ive read here for months and really want some explaination for my direct situation and advice.  Will she ever make this stop the same way she started it?  When has a BPD had enough?  :)oes she want me back?  Never.

Here's the thing, so long as she needs someone to devalue, she's going to choose you until someone else more conveniently takes that role.  Perhaps when she idealizing the next person and her disordered feelings start to build again, then it will be more convenient for her to blame the other person for her disordered feelings.

You are in the right place.

Best wishes, Schwing

talithacumi

Relationship status: Stopped living together in August 2010

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 04:51:46 PM »

Great reply, Schwing ... .  totally nailed the dynamic going on here. It's been two and a half years since the end of my relationship with my pwBPD, six months of NC plus a 1000 mile move to another state and I'm still dealing with the effect/fallout from the continuing distortion campaign he both directly and indirectly (through my replacement) mounted against me following his decision to dump me.

I've given up waiting/hoping for someone else to come along to take my place (however abstract it's become at this point) on the Karpmann triangle he apparently needs in order to function. It IS childish. It ISN'T fair. It can, and already HAS had a number of long-term personal, professional and financial consequences for me. But I CAN'T control it. All I can control is my perception/response/reaction to it, and behave in a way that does ultimately leave me with any guilt, shame, or self-loathing to deal with on top of everything else.

Again, as repetitious/cliche as I know it sounds even to me at times, shifting the focus away from them/trying to exert any kind of control over them or their thoughts/behavior at all - and onto you and yours - is, in my experience, the only way things are ever going to start to change.

Elsegundo
Formerly Elsee

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:16:38 PM »

I had a low functioning ex that launched a long, intense smear campaign.  She emailed mutual friends telling them lies and to stay away from me (that's how I learned out r/s was over), tried to befriend some of my friends/told them lots of projections and lies, stalked me, and tried to get me fired at work.  It was nuts.  The WORST thing I did was reach out to try to get her to calmly talk.  Couldn't believe this was real.  Every attempt of mine made it worse, and she twisted each of the few attempts into me doing something crazy.  One of those was an email seeking my stuff back and wanting to give her hers.  After I learned what she did, I mailed her stuff, let go of getting mine back and went NC, which is when her "showing up" everywhere started.  It stopped when she dated someone else, but with each dumping about every 2-3 months, shed refocus anger on me.  That went on for a year and a half.  I couldn't sleep, eat, date, I was a mess.  I even spent time trying to defend myself to a few friends but it only came off as false.

Do yourself a favor--know that there's nothing you can do to stop smearing.  You can just be the best you possible and try to stay above it.  Think of it as a long game, not a sprint.  Being an upstanding person WILL show people as much truth as possible.  Your ex will likely do other things to make her discredited. 

smartwoman220

Relationship status: single

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:27:17 PM »

Whoa... .  I'm vey sorry to  hear  that  each of you has gone thru this.

But i'm curious... .  why do they  continue to  come back to certain people to hurt them, even after time and new relationships have passed. Shouldn't their focus be on the last person they  dated? Help me to under stand this, please.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest