Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 07:44:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone come across medical people, who openly question the dx of BPD?  (Read 544 times)
Reality

« on: January 16, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »

Dear friends,

Help!  I was talking to some highly educated people yesterday, who told me that talking about BPD with some prominent Canadian adolescent mental health gurus could be counterproductive.  They said point-blank that many consider the dx of BPD to be a catch-all for individuals whom the professionals can't figure out.

We are in the dark ages!

Have you come across this kind of ignorance in the States?

Reality
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
charred

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »

My T said same thing, I am in the states... however he had dated a person with BPD, and knew the pain/reality of it first hand. From what he said, BPD used to be a catchall for whoever was impossible in T.

sam-99

Relationship status: single parent

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:51:57 PM »

We are searching for a new therapist who does DBT so have talked to quite a few lately. The first on that the hospital set up who was supposed to specialize in that and know about BPD told me flat out that he did not recognize BPD as a disorder. Mummbled something about there being over 200 new diagnosis added to the book lately and he just treats everyone as he sees fit. (And no DBT. Not sure what the hospital social worker was doing there). Needless to say, we cancelled that one. Have an app set for this Friday with a potential. Here's hoping... .  I've learned to ask lots of questions. Wastes less time and $.
sunshineplease

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:55:57 AM »

sam-99, I couldn't agree more about asking questions. I'm finding it very helpful, but I also have to guard against old habits of hearing what I want to hear. :-)
sam-99

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 06:34:25 PM »

Ok, we went to the appointment with the therapist yesterday, Friday, and it was the wierdest experience in my life of dealing with the med profession.  On the phone the guy said he was familiar with BPD and DBT, but in person he was pushing that mental illness in general is a myth.  He went on and on about how the pharm companies and psychiatrists want to get rich at our expense.  So wierd.  That was NOT why we were there, for him to get all that off his chest. He talked a little to my daughter, but mostly to me about irrevelant things.  And it was supposed to be an individual session, not family session. My dd was not happy with that either.  He seemed to have a lot of experience, as he had worked in the State hospital even.  I think that is what got to him though is seeing it from 'the other side'.  Not sure, but we aren't going back.  What a waste of our time.  He even told my daughter that she had "really bought into the whole mental illness thing lock stock and barrel".  He didn't have me convinced at all.  We knew something was different about dd early on, just didn't know what.  That was way before and meds or doctors came into the picture.  He was into relaxation and meditation as treatment too.  That may be true, but not with him!   Poor dd was worse at the end than at the start. (and it took forever. he kept us WAY too long.  I should have just left!)  sigh... .  going to try another one this next week.  A lady this time.  Maybe she will be sweet yet effective. 
sunshineplease

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 08:05:49 PM »

Oh, sam-99, so sorry the appointment was such a DISappointment! It's so hard to have one's hopes dashed at the base of someone's soapbox. No matter what this guy's ideological issues, he sure doesn't seem to know how to talk to kids with BPD, or to their parents. Glad you have other options on the horizon. Hugs... .  
charred

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 06:15:01 PM »

Not sure it is same where you are, but the general impression I get... .  Psychiatrists prescribe and expect drugs to do the trick... .  Psychologists have to talk it out, so if it takes drugs it takes a Pyschiatrist, and if it is someone that listens and can help make changes, you are mostly talking Psychologists. Doubt there are all that many that specialize in BPD... .  given the difficulty of having BPD folks for clients. The way I find people in fields I don't know about personally (like a good lawyer or plumber or doctor) is to think of people that deal with them all the time and ask around. So if there is a disorders support group in your area, or you know some nurses at the bigger hospitals, someone like that. My mom had a tough estate battle on her hands not long ago and came to me, I live hundreds of miles from her and didn't know any estate lawyers... .  thought about it, looked up people I went to college with and found a few that were lawyers in her town, called one up and we met with him and he knew just the guy... .  3 hrs of legal fees later... her part of estate was settled. It was finding the right person. The exact name they use whether DBT or CBT or something else, isn't as much a concern as the results they get.

Good luck.
sam-99

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 08:02:04 PM »

I totally agree.  I always prefer refferals because it is someone that someone knows and can vouch for.  This has been so different though.  I have asked the hospital for a referral, and the psychiatrist and keep coming up with dead ends.  It is very odd.  I even called a couple of DBT research centers for referrals but to no avail.  I am quite baffled.  And we live near one of the largest cities in the country!  Go figure!  We are starting our NAMI course in just a few days, maybe someone there can recommend a therapist they have had success with.  This is ridiculous!  BPD & DBT do exist right? Maybe I am expecting too much from the medical field.   
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest