Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 01:13:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Complex Developmental Disorder  (Read 669 times)
Me_

« on: January 24, 2013, 02:43:24 PM »

Hi all,

I came here to the board cause I my boyfriend has BPD. We've been together for 3 years. But that's not what I'm on this section of the board.

This week, my son (7) was "diagnosed" with McDD. It falls under the Autism spectrum. (I put the word "diagnosed" like this because just last week he had ADHD and he should been on Ritalin, this week it's McDD and he should be on other meds, so I'm not having a lot of faith the doctor's diagnoses)

Why am I posting it here?

Well, after doing some research I found out that McDD is the child form of borderline. And often childred who were diagnosed with McDD get a diagnosis of Borderline when they turn 18. At least, that's what I could find about it. McDD shows lots of traits like borderline... .  

But, I haven't noticed any of the traits on my son. And shouldn't I pick up these traits sooner? Since I'm living with borderline for over 3 years?

I don't want to put him on meds that he maybe shouldn't need. And if I followed the doctor's advice, he would be already on Ritalin. These meds aren't just something to fool around with me thinks. They are heavy meds who changes who your kid is.

So, does anyone have any experience with McDD, or McDD turning out to be BPD? Any notes on what I should be aware of? It would be really helpfull.

Thanks!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
trytrytry

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: I'm remarried to Mr . Wonderful. Together 10 yr. now.

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:24:18 AM »

Hi there and welcome to our board,

Such a decision to make about your son.    If I'd had a diagnosis when my DD26 was 7, I can't be sure what I would have done, but she was always in such turmoil.  I think I would have looked for non medication soulutions first - namely DBT - A therapy for PD.  Not even sure if that works for children.

Good luck in your search for help.
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »

I looked for this dx - have you checked out this educational site?  www.mcdd.webs.com/

What kind of evaluations have been done? Scales or checklists for eveyone in your ds enviroment - ie. school and home?

My gd7 is kind of in this process. We have been working with a T since she was age 4 and her mom was evicted from our house - homeless for 20 months and now back in our family for 18 mos. My dh and I, as grandparents, have had custody since she was a baby.

Evlauated by pdoc last summer - list of observations from school, home and T - led to long list. ADHD indications, anxiety and possible PTSD issues, possible learning disabilities. She is on a med that helps with the hyperactive issues and some with anxiety. The stimulant (time release form) pushed her into aggressive behaviors - just like her mom - so only did 2 day trial of those.

It is so messy with young children. Do not want to use meds that could have cognitiive side-effects, insomia, loss of appetite, etc.  What are the symptoms that you ds meets on the McDD criteria checklist at the website I listed above. Maybe this can give you a starting place to disucss this with the doc.

Hang in there - let us know how things are going.

qcr  

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest