Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 09:09:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help us with NC: Proposal  (Read 348 times)
glacier_glider
AKA "Uncomfortably Numb"

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 23, 2013, 02:01:00 AM »

Hi All!

This is my very first post here.

You guys are awesome!

I think this forum alone helped me the most.

And it will in the future.

This is way more effective for me than therapy, books, friends and family combined.

Therapy will not help me, please don't ask why.

Books? A book is written by a person who most likely has not experienced what you've gone through.

Family and friends... .  you know. Nobody, NOBODY will understand your pain except for all of you - you, those who have (had) been blessed with a Borderline significant other in their life.

THANK YOU ALL!

I went from hopeless to almost functional in about 2 weeks just by reading your forum.

I'll post some relevant parts of the four year long horror later.

But first thing's first.

For those of us suffering through NC who find it difficult sometimes. Especially on Friday and Saturday nights.

Can I be explicit here?

At this point, she (he) is sleeping with the replacement.

Your Wisdom tells you that it's over and you have no business to be even thinking about that. But... .  We are not machines. The emotions do take over sometimes.

And you have the urge. You get your car keys on a Friday or Saturday night and you go. Nothing can stop you at this point.

You hope that you'll see dark windows and empty driveway.

No! You see some stranger's car parked on the driveway where your car used to be parked.

You are trying to achieve some clarity.

And you get it. Clarity. The pain is beyond anything you can describe or compare with.

Just when you thought you felt much better and could handle anything, you are totally destroyed. Silently. Alone. And there is nothing you can do about that. It will take you days, weeks or months to become what you were just before you stuck your car key into the ignition lock and turned it.

Or it could be a phone call. Or a text. Or an e-mail. Any type of contact can result in horrible pain.

So... .  

How about some topic here that we keep alive and post to when we feel this insane urge to contact them? We MUST post to it and hopefully someone replies and asks "WHY?" Why call, text, drive? If it cannot be prevented, at least it can be postponed. See what I'm saying?
Want2know
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:28:46 AM »

Welcome to our site!  Glad it has been helpful.  I look forward to your Introduction post on our New Members board so we can understand a bit more information regarding your situation.

Regarding the urge to contact them... .  

I think part of it is habit.  We've been with them in some kind of deeply enmeshed relationship for long enough that it's only natural to want to have contact.

The other part is to hopefully get some understanding as to the 'whys'.  Why they behave like they do, why it didn't work out, etc.

Hopefully you will get some answers here regarding the 'whys', as it will not come from her.  She does not have the capability to explain in a rational manner.

Does any of this ring true for you?

“The path to heaven doesn't lie down in flat miles. It's in the imagination with which you perceive this world, and the gestures with which you honor it." ~ Mary Oliver
glacier_glider
AKA "Uncomfortably Numb"

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 03:40:53 AM »

Hey, Want2know!

Thanks for the response!

Where is the intro section? I could not find it.

My story is "unique" but after reading this forum I thought it's an identical copy of everyone else's, male of female. Yeah, I'd be happy to think of some unique features of it and post it.

I know, we all know the "whys". But when the urge takes over, forget the common sense.

At least one can (hopefully) come here, post and wait for some support before giving up.

This is why I thought we'd be here (at least some of us) to help each other before making the contact (over the phone, in person, texting or e-mailing).
Want2know
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 03:48:58 AM »

Intro section is here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?board=5.0.  Just some background of your relationship situation with your person with BPD, and where you are today is a good thing to post there.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

The urge... .  oh yes.  I understand that urge.  There is something that we refer to here as Wise Mind.  Take a look at this link: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=64749.0.  Basically, it's about addressing that urge, or the emotion behind it, and applying your logical mind to make a more balanced, wise decision.  You probably do this and don't even realize it.  That urge will diminish as you start to detach from the relationship and focus on what you need to grow and become more mentally balanced.

Posting here helps!  I've been a member for 3 years.  When I first came here I posted my thoughts and urges often, and the members here were great in centering me.

“The path to heaven doesn't lie down in flat miles. It's in the imagination with which you perceive this world, and the gestures with which you honor it." ~ Mary Oliver
waitaminute

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:00:10 AM »

It's an addiction. Fortunately I don't have that problem. Unfortunately I've replaced my obsession with her with tobacco and gambling. I thank God I didn't pick up any illegal addictions. But still, this stuff is killing me. Did not have this problem before I broke the relationship off 4 months ago. But the way it hits you is very similar to how you describe "get your keys... .  and go". The addiction is in control until you get your fix.

Ironically, it helps me understand why my exBPDgf had so much difficulty regulating her behavior when she was feeling empty. And I think I understand this idea of "shame" and "self loathing" that I've read is common among BPD. I never understood it before.

Maybe my therapist can help.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest