Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 26, 2024, 02:56:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: can you just sense when something is brewing?  (Read 448 times)
hellokitty4

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 13, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »

So my ucfBPD and I went to a concert this past Saturday, went grocery shopping on Sunday. Pretty much everything normal.

Yesterday we talked and texted a lot. All pleasant. She came to my class and we went out to grab a bite with another friend.  On the surface everything seemed normal. I called her last night to say goodnight. Didn't get a text saying she's on the phone or whatnot. Before I went to sleep I sent her a text.  No response. This morning I sent her my morning email. Haven't heard back. I am left to wonder what I did or said. It is not like her to not respond... .  unless she is bothered about something. I don't know what it is and that is what's killing me. As much as i know about BPD, I still wonder how things can change so quickly. She will come around eventually and bite my head off if her silence has anything to do with me. 99% positive. Isn't it awful to think this way? And it doesn't matter what she thought I did or didn't do, it will be blamed on me anyway.

I am not contacting her again today. I think if left alone, with a some time for her to soothe herself or at least make the blow to me less. The friend from last night told me that everything thing seemed okay. But that's just it. On the surface and from what others can tell, she was okay.  It's what happens in her head that's got me concerned.

Does this happen to anyone else on this board? The feeling that something is up and you can't pinpoint what it could be. Or am I just over thinking and over analyzing her behavior?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

cal644

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:54:13 AM »

It's funny - the day my wife met her new knight in shinning armor at a wedding (she bridesmaid - him groomsman) - I just had this feeling within me something wasn't right - I even asked the father of the bride if my wife was "good" - something inside me knew she wasn't
4now

Relationship status: married 10 years

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:21:21 AM »

Yes, I can. It's subtle at first.  I try not to over-analyze and go on about my business.  Sometimes it blows over, sometimes it progresses. By the time it progresses, I can sense that something is wrong and that it will end with him in a major distancing attempt.  I have developed a sixth sense about it.  I even know when he is lying about something during the distancing attempt.  I know when he won't keep his word, etc. I guess it is because he have been conditioned and know what to expect because it's happened so many times before.

My question would be, how do you stop the inevitable train wreck that you sense coming?  That's the part I can't figure out. 

Did you just ask her in a text if anything is wrong?  Maybe that would be a start.  Then you have the info to base your thoughts on.  If she's upset, you know why. If she's not and just needs space, then you know.  If she doesn't respond, well that's just rude and you have done your part by showing your concern. 

You don't have to accept responsibility for anything except your own behavior.  And you don't have to be anybody's punching bag. 
briefcase
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married 18 years, together 20 years, still living together

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »

Yes, we become very enmesghed in their emotions, and tend to "feel it" when they are off for some reason.  Read up on detachment with love.   

benny2

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »

Yes, I can also tell when he's lieing, or when something is wrong. I usually just ask and give his distance to come back around on his own, but to sit in limbo is to difficult for me. I will ask him if something is bothering him, or if I said something wrong. Whether or not you will get an honest answer is hard to tell, but at least its something to go on.
hellokitty4

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »

When I ask I usually get a question as an answer or a "you tell me." I didn't ask today. She responded to my email and everything seemed normal. I gave her a call to see how she's doing. I got a text back saying she was having lunch with her husband and was waiting for the papal announcement. Then she called me back. Gauging from it, everything seems normal. So maybe it was all in my mind. Sometimes one can get paranoid because of past behavior so that even when things are normal it seems it we are just waiting for the next shoe to drop... .  
Chosen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 02:47:13 AM »

Yes.  I'm not a sensitive person but I suppose being with a uBPD does "train you up".  I can usually sense if something's not right now, and it is always good when I don't ignore it because it can somehow help to dissolve some potentially-crisis situations.

It's usually a damned if I do and damned if I don't situation.  If I ask what's wrong, he will either explode or put the blame on me.  If I don't ask then I'm accused of being insensitive.  Now what I do is to ask like a caring person, but not to immediately feel it has anything to do with me.  Asking, "Are you stressed or unhappy?  You seem stressed." is probably a good start.  Then only validate (say lots of "hmmmm", "I see" and don't offer solutions.  Then detach (not try to "make things better" for them.  Be there for them if needed, but not to fix things).  It's up to them to decide how to feel after you've done your part, right?

Rockylove

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 06:46:51 AM »

Yes... .  I can usually sense if something's not right now, and it is always good when I don't ignore it because it can somehow help to dissolve some potentially-crisis situations... .  

You seem stressed." is probably a good start.  Then only validate (say lots of "hmmmm", "I see" and don't offer solutions.  Then detach (not try to "make things better" for them.  Be there for them if needed, but not to fix things).  It's up to them to decide how to feel after you've done your part, right?

Not only can I tell, but now he's beginning to tell me!  I feel encouraged by this, mostly so I can give him the space he needs to figure his stuff out and regulate.  I do give generous hugs and validate when I can identify something to validate.  Most often he just needs to have me hold him closely and that's enough. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest