Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 06:28:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone want to drive to Florida and hug me?  (Read 498 times)
Thursday

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: married for one month (!)

« on: March 16, 2013, 06:05:12 AM »

This week has been total 

Tuesday, S/O called me during his work day. He fell on the job and smashed/broke his knee-cap. He requires surgery and workman's comp is dragging their feet about it so he is home with a leg brace to immobilize his knee and upset that he doesn't know when they will fix the knee. Recuperation will be a long process and he wants to get started on the rehab asap.

After the accident, he rode to the hospital in an ambulance so his car was left at the job site and we asked SD to come to hospital and get his keys, pick up his car and deliver it back home. One of her loser friends drove her, someone we've never met. She brought the friend into s/o's room at the hospital. No clue this wasn't cool. Her friend didn't have a clue either. Her friend never shut up the entire time they were there, diagnosing S/O. S/O even asked this kid if he is a medical professional.  Smiling (click to insert in post) I, on the other hand, was icy with SD as a result of having this annoying know-it-all loser in the room. (I know, I suck!). When I stepped out of the room to make a phone call, SD complained about my icy attitude to S/O but he didn't explain why I might be upset with her because we hadn't talked privately about it and he "wasn't sure". After she left, I texted her and apologized for being so frosty and explained why. She texted me back and told me she brought the guy into the room because she was "nervous about being in a hospital". She is a CNA. She has worked in a hospital before.   

S/0 is going to be down for three months! He won't be able to drive for three months! I'm already exhausted from the effort of caring for him. He is useless with his crutches and so I'm doing everything for him.

Thursday SD came over to fetch some of the paperwork he needed to turn into his office. While she was here he talked to her about his new vapor cigarette alternative. He talked it up (he has quit smoking tobacco and now just uses this vaporizor thingy to get the nicotine without the tar) this little device comes with multiple flavored liquids, many taste like candy or sweets or alcoholic beverages. SD tried it. She also told us that an enabling friend offered to buy her one of these devices because the friend doesn't like her smoking (SD is a 2 plus pack a day smoker, she's 21 and sounds like an old bar-fly with the gravelly voice from the constant smoking).

The next day her facebook page reports that the enabling friend took her to purchase one of these devices. With accountrments, this device will have cost the enabling friend at least 80.00. The enabler also took SD out to eat her favorite fish tacos. SD reports, as well, that she was "laying out at the beach" (she has no business laying out, she will burn as she is very fair... .  never tans... .  all she is doing with laying out is giving herself skin cancer later)

So, in addition to being exhausted, now I'm annoyed that SD is being enabled, that her Dad sparked this, I'm sure she will use the device for a short while, getting attention for having it and letting everyone she knows try it out, then it will put in a drawer or left in her car and her "attempt to quit smoking" will be an expensive exercise in futility. She wasn't interested in quitting smoking until he let her taste "margarita" flavor, which she LUVS!         

I'm upset that she is trying to tan. We go through this EVERY YEAR. She gets a horrible burn EVERY YEAR.

I'm pissed that she gets fish tacos. Even though I'm doing 100% of everything I still make our dinner. No restaurant fish tacos for Thursday. (where is the crying, self-pitying emoticon?)

Two weeks ago she applied for a job and hasn't heard anything back from them. This is "job hunting". The job is at a hospital. I am annoyed that she hasn't done any other job hunting while waiting to hear about this job, which she won't get because she got fired from her last position and hospital's can pick and choose from hundreds of CNAs who haven't been fired from their last job for not showing up for a shift and not calling. I know this because my nonDD used to work at a medical clinic here and when they needed a new CNA they would get hundreds of applications. SD got the job she had before through a friend.

When she came over to get the paperwork, her Dad gave her 20.00. I could have gotten those papers over to the office with 1.00 worth of postage.

He is hurt and boundaries are breaking. Tonight she gets her 2 year chip at AA. She called last night asking if we were coming. (seriously!) It's as if visiting her Dad she didn't notice that he can't walk and that I am doing everything for him. She knows he can't drive and that I have something to do that night and was never planning to go to her AA meeting to see her get her chip. I know she wants our support but we do have some other stuff going on right now!

Did I mention that while she was over here getting those papers, I was helping her Dad get comfortable and she told me I was "doing it wrong"?

Yea, somebody better get to Florida ASAP and  hug me quick.

Thursday

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Mandii

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 06:11:12 AM »

Can't drive over from Australia, but sending a lot of hugs your way xxxxxxxxxx
peaceplease

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:04:23 AM »

Thursday,

I am sorry about your SO.  I can imagine the exhaustion that you are feeling.  I would have a difficult time adjusting if my dh were hurt.  I can recall a time when he was sick, and I was exhausted.  Your SD does not appear to be much of a help, especially when she accepts money from your SO.

I would love to come to FL with all of this snow we are having! I was just saying this morning, that I think I am ready for a move away from the winters.  But, I would travel to Alaska to give you a hug, if I could.    

I hope things get better.    

peaceplease
whiletheseasonspass

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 09:13:24 AM »

Dear Thursday,

As a person myself- who can't take one more thing to happen- i.e. go wrong- I send you a GREAT BIG HUG.

The fact that your SO has had this happen to him and it is a HUGE THING to go wrong- of course it must feel very overwhelming.  And there is so much more you speak about- just about his injury- and what is to come yet- that can seem very daunting.  So yes- you are burnt out already- and neither of you needed this to happen-

Here is my 2 cents from me- being a very overwhelmed- trying to get through each day now for years now- with too much baggage  my baggage  my baggage  my baggage  (love this emoticon) in too many arenas and always losing ground - and really trying to take care of me- although not quite there- ( so who am I to give my 2 cents  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)- ha- easier when I am not in my own shoes- easier to see and have clarity for the other person)  but at any rate- my 2 cents.

Focus only on your SO and yourself.  Give your SD a high five for the 2 year chip.  Ignore everything else about her.  I mean everything.  Save your breath where she is concerned.   She is not going to listen anyway- right?   Save your energy- for you and your SO and the challenges you will have to face in the upcoming months.  I know is it so frustrating to see SO enable his dd- but my suggestion during this time period- when the knee thing is so difficult- my idea is  that whenever he does that or something else is making you want to shout out- NO NO NO!  in my opinion YOU should "enable" YOURSELF to something wonderful -like a facial or a massage or whatever pleases YOU- to balance it all out.  Remember - that ad- CALGON TAKE ME AWAY?... .  find your own CALGON rewards... .  and let your SD suck on those inhaler nicotine things until she tires of them.  At least it is not snorting cocaine- right? 

So put yourself first- take care of YOU.  Which will allow you to get help SO get back on his feet during this difficult time which will pass - time flies- as we know.  If you must enlist SD's help but don't internalize the annoying things she does- don't take on the responsibility - and take give yourself those CALGON rewards just because you deserve to. 

Hope this helps.

Take care,

wtsp
lovesjazz

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »

Where do you live in florida? I a  here too!
griz

Relationship status: married

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »

Wish I could fly down from NY. Snowing a bit here today... .  however here the best I can do for now.     
BioAdoptMom3

Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 07:06:51 PM »

I am in FL too, so here are some warm FL ((HUGS))!  I am so sorry you are going through this!  Prayers for your strength, and SO's quick healing, abide!
Aussie mumma

Relationship status: married

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 07:18:20 AM »

Thursday   

Sorry I can't hug you in person... being an Australian... makes it a tad hard for visits ... hope the hugs below give you a smile. 

jellibeans

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 10:27:08 AM »

How was your Easter? Thinking about you today... .   hope you had a good one... .   keep us posted... .    
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest