Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 08:53:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: residential education facility  (Read 1544 times)
jellibeans

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 10:45:40 PM »

profdaddy

thank you for the update... . I have been wondering how things were going for you and you ds.

I think it is to be expected that the doc would try different meds while your sd is in a control environment like RTC. I think you need to be educated about the side effects of those drugs so bravo for you. I do think you should expect a time of unrest for your ds. My dd has had a few med changes over the past two years and at times it was not pretty at my house. I am told that it is easier to make med changes while they are in a RTC... . if your son was home then they would have to take it very slowly and wean him off one med and start another over the space of months not weeks so I do think it is good.

Have you seen any change in your son while at the RTC? Has he learned any coping skills? I feel for you and you ds. He seems to be really struggling right now and he is so young. You must worry about him. I hope you are doing well. Please update us more when you can. Your ds has a lot on his plate and it will take time. He did not get this way over a couple of weeks so be patient. I do hope they can help him where he is and I feel if meds help him right now then so be it until he can learn to do it on his own. Try to remember that just because he is on meds right now does mean as he grows he might be able to reduce or eliminate all meds.

sending you a hug... . how is your gf handling all of this? I remember you were talking of moving in together? Hope all is well with you. take care of yourself.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Cici

Relationship status: process of divorce still living in same house divorce started 6 months ago

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 05:10:41 AM »

I've read your story, I was so happy for your family and your gf when I read you got him in an RTC for at least 2 months.  Look into Arch Bridge Academy at Wellspring in Connecticut, it's a DBT focused therapeutic setting residential school.  There is always a long wait list as it's highly regarded and one of the FEW residential schools on the East coast.  Here's a link:

www.wellspring.org/arch-bridge-school

It may be challenging to find a residential program for him at his age, also Mclean Hospital in Mass. has an inpatient residential program that specializes in Child and Adolescents.  The parental involvment required for McLean may not be possible if your in Atlanta but it's a good resource to check out.

Also Silver Hill Hospital in Connecticut has a residential program that is DBT focused.  Insurance may cover the residential portion as well. Although it's only a 30 day DBT intensive, sounds like he needs a much longer placement, it may be someplace to go while finding a longer term placement and they also referred us to other places when my d13 discharged there.

Keep us updated.

mamachelle

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »

ProfDaddy,

I have both of my SS10 and 15 on Abilify. Low doses. 4mg and 10mg respectively 1x a day. SS10 is also on Lamictal low dose 25mg 2x aday. Similar diagnoses to your DS. Bipolar, Aspergers, Anxiety, psychosis, and some violence touch of ODD and ADHD  and dash of BPD mom for fun... .

Abilify has been a godsend, giving both boys a chance to have some successes and help with the rage, anxiety, and psychosis.

Personally, I think a low dose is not going to hurt them long term, both tolerate it very well.

SS15 went on an ADHD med briefly and flew into a wild rage on day 3. I refuse to let SS10 go on the stimulants even though he might have ADD tendencies because I have seen a number of boys become more aggressive.

At any rate, it's your decision but I find low dose abilify to be a very good thing. While the boys have been on these drugs they've done much better. Even they get along which they never were able to before... .

I would say, if DS is tolerating it, let him get some successes under his belt. It's not the drugs learning, it is him with some help.

mamachelle
ProfDaddy

Relationship status: remarried, divorced in 2010

formerly Dad6145

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 11:22:25 AM »

Getting closer... . thanks CiCi.  Turns out the Midwest Center, while a DBT based program, is another RTC, same level of care he is in right now and not an appropriate step-down.  I'll call the admissions person at Arch-Bridge and see what they have to say.
ProfDaddy

formerly Dad6145

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »

Update on progress and meds.  Pdoc from RTC called this morning.  S8 is having manic episodes and is unable to control himself.  They are seeing lots of dysfunctional behaviors.  So, the next logical step is to discontinue the Celexa he has been taking for the past 7 weeks, determine if the severity of the current difficulties is due to that med.  Even if it isn't, there's no support for the hypothesis that the Celexa would help the anxiety and stop the rages.  So, that med isn't helping and could be making things worse, so time to stop that.  About a week out from this, we'll see how he does on just the Tenex and Strattera.  After that point, we'll discuss whether a mood stabilizer of some form is needed. 
ProfDaddy

formerly Dad6145

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »

Another miss -- The bridge school works outpatient with families within a 3 hour range.  S8 really needs a PHP, but there isn't one in my state. 
mamachelle

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »

ProfDaddy,

Thanks for the update. As for mood stabilizers-- Lamictal has less scary side effects (except rash) and has been used for epileptic kids for years. My pDoc is very cautious and so are we (me and myH who is Dad). Your posts on Abilify did make me do a reality check. Both of my SS were big boys and way over the 100% in height and weight before any meds.

We went with the Abilify in both boys due to psychosis as well as the mood stabilizing effects. Lithium was tried with SS15 but it did not work. The Lamictal reduced the mood swings and rage behavior by about half or more with SS10 and we simultaneously introduced a host of behavior therapy solutions in the home and I also started using SET and other techniques from DBT more-- and so it worked well... . however in SS10 his thoughts seem to be getting progressively stranger and his behavior very worrisome so we recently added in Abilify to make an end run on the psychosis. Since we just doubled the dose of Abilify on SS10 from 2-4mg on way to 5mg we have actually seen a decrease in eating in SS10.

Best,

mamachelle
jellibeans

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 06:54:17 PM »

I just wanted to add that Lamictal 100mg 2x a day has been the only med my dd has repsonded to... . they recently took her off prozac which I have never saw any improvements with but the lamictal did help with the raging and mood shifts... .
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 04:29:42 PM »

From an adult perspective lamictal has been the best thing for my bipolar with no real side effects. Had to go off for a few months due to rash. Turned out I developed allergy to the seroquel I had been on for many years. Helps with moods and rages though seroquel did work bwtter for raging and dissociation.  Was glad to get back on lamictal. Ability made me anxious

Qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
mggt

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 05:03:05 PM »

dear pro daddy,  Wishing you much luck on this journey we all here all pulling for you and praying sending many hugs mggt
ProfDaddy

formerly Dad6145

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2013, 07:51:13 AM »

Pdoc is taking S8 off Celexa, which didn't help, then seeing where we stand.  Withdrawal from Celexa has been intensely difficult for him.  Pdoc is witholding judgment until the Celexa is out of his system -- but then without the abilify too I think there will be psychosis and rage.  We stopped the abilify and increased the celexa two weeks ago to see if the rages were due to anxiety and not psychosis. 
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
jellibeans

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2013, 08:23:33 PM »

profdaddy

How it is must be for you ds and for you to watch... . but I do think this is the best place and way to try and get his meds right and hope to find something that will help. Hold on... . take a deep breathe... . be positive. Sending a hug your way... . keep us posted... . you are in my thoughts and I am hoping things will turn around for your ds... .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest