Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 02:04:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So they left and you want answers...  (Read 426 times)
NiceGuy83

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: July 17, 2013, 12:52:44 AM »

There is something each and every one of us share, if we are reading or sharing on these forums... . answers.  Closure.  An end to the pain.  And, perhaps most importantly, we seek (whether consciously or not) the knowledge of how to avoid the push-pull cycle in the future.

This is an advice post for those who have been abandoned by a BPD partner.  It is not written for those staying in a BPD relationship; that is your choice, and I understand it entirely, but this is primarily designed for those never given that choice.  Please feel free to add to it, ask questions of it, and challenge it.  Reject it in it's entirety if you choose.  But I hope you'll at least read it, and think about it. 

First, let me tell you (briefly) about myself.  It has been three months since my last BPD relationship ended.  It has also been approximately 1 month since last contact (although, I am pleased to say, contact had been extremely limited until that point in any case).  I won't regurgitate all that has been done and said to or by me in that time; like you all, I have been phenomenally hurt, and, at times, have acted in a way alien to my usual behaviour.

But that has been less and less of a problem as the weeks have gone by, and I feel like I have made several important steps forward.  Frankly, I feel stronger in myself now than before the relationship began.  I look around these forums, and see the pain and confusion, the desperate need to understand and be understood, that I felt so acutely when this was raw.  And I am a rescuer, so I feel the need to share this with you, in the hope that it just might help someone.

Step One: First, you must understand BPD.  It is a disease, that has affected the sufferer all their life.  While manageable, all I have read tells me it is incurable.  You were not the first to be told you were special, and all the others never understood them.  You will not be the last to hear those words.  Yes; he or she now counts you among those who betrayed her, or were not good enough for her.  She may oscillate back to idealisation, but frankly, it is not only unlikely but probably doomed to end even more painfully and quickly than before, so abandon any hope of rekindling the relationship.  That connection you once had has been irretrievably broken, and cannot be mended (or at least, that is what I take from what I have read).

Step Two: Understand the mechanics of the relationship.  There is an excellent article on this on this very site, here: https://bpdfamily.com/content/how-borderline-relationship-evolves

You need to not just understand, but also accept (i.e. truly believe) that your BPD relationship was unhealthy.  Our partner was, in turns, needy, then abusive.  They made us feel like giants one moment, and insects the next.  We walked on eggshells far more than we lay down in green pastures. 

You need to understand that you have had a narrow escape.  That the relationship ending is a good thing, because it was not what you were looking for (i.e. true love, companionship, support, etc). 

Step Three: Make a 'shopping list' of the qualities you desire in a partner.  Now cross out the word 'desire', and replace with 'require'.  Although you may revisit this many times through your life, and change things upon it, any change should be prompted by a change within yourself, not by anyone you have met.  As an example, here is my list.

A) They must work, and be financially independent.  They must demonstrate this by NEVER asking for money (either directly, or indirectly by burdening you with financial worries so you feel compelled to help).

B) They must be intellectually and conversationally my equal.  We must be able to talk at length about matters that interest both of us.  They must have ideals and views of their own, even if they challenge or contradict my own, and we should respect each other for our ability to reach reasoned conclusions.

c) They must respect me in front of others, and demonstrate such respect by addressing any private concerns IN private.  I.E. no public demonstrations of jealousy, etc.

D) They must respect themselves, and not abuse alcohol or use illicit substances.  They must not have a serious history of doing either.

E) They must be free of serious mental illness.

Your own list may be shorter or longer, the important thing is to recognise what you need in a partner, and not 'settle' for anything less.   Frankly, we know we did settle with our BPDex, and that is a pattern we need to break.  So far, in three months of singledom, I have had two serious opportunities to get involved in unhealthy relationships, and I am pleased to say I did not rebound.  My list kept me safe.

Step Four: Recognise what it is about ourselves that allowed us to be drawn into such an unhealthy relationship.  In my opinion, it is essentially one thing, although it may take different forms.  After reading so many posts, and speaking in person to so many people who have experienced BPD relationships, I firmly believe we all suffer from an internal feeling of inadequacy; a lack of self-worth that made us vulnerable to being held up by our BPD partners to such lofty levels. 

Many of us spend years (and fortunes) in therapies and treatments, but the answer always seems to be this.  Don't get me wrong, if you feel you need or would benefit from professional help, go get it!  I endorse it!  But first ask yourself, do you already know the answer?  Did your BPD partner's validation of you fill a feeling of emptiness, or otherwise give you a sense of self-worth that you had earlier been missing.  Did their withdrawal of this idealisation destroy your feelings of self-worth?

Step Five: Work on addressing your own feelings of inadequacy.  To this end, I would heartily recommend reading Neil Straus's book, 'The Game'.  I have just put it down.  Ostensibly a book about how to pick up women, it is actually far more than that.  It is an interestingly honest examination of insecurities (both male and female), and how we all react to social programming as a result of these.  It culminates in a fascinating conclusion on defeating those insecurities.  Whether you are a man or woman, interested in men or women, I suggest you read this book. 

Step Six: Go proactive.  Go out and make new friends, and reconnect with old ones.  Force yourself, even if you are not in the mood.  You will rediscover the fun in life if you allow it an opportunity in, although it may take some time.  Don't be afraid to flirt, and be flirted with, but perhaps hang back from acting on that for some time, until you feel healthy enough to make sensible decisions about the suitability of your partner.  DO NOT be upset if someone rejects your friendship, or your flirtations.  This will happen.  Frankly, it will happen way more often than not.  Part of getting over your insecurities, I believe, is recognising that not everyone will like you, but that's ok, because if you give enough people the opportunity to meet you and know you, plenty WILL like you.

If there is a seventh step, it's about moving on to healthy relationships and dating again.  That's the subject of another forum, and frankly, I'm not quite there yet.  Although I do feel closer now than three months ago... . in fact, I feel closer now than actually I have ever truly done before.

I really hope some of this helps some of you.  The very fact that you cared for someone who was not kind to you shows that you have a nuturing nature, and that, if nothing else, means I know *I* would like you if we met.  You probably rescue wounded animals, just like me.  You probably just want to be loved and accepted, and to give love and acceptance, just like me.  You probably need to work on understanding when that is a healthy response to a situation, and when it is not.  Just like me.

NiceGuy
crystalclear

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 04:27:12 AM »

Hi NiceGuy,

Thank you for taking time and posting about recovery from a toxic r/s. It makes some very good points. Recognising (our shortcomings) and reworking on ourselves!

Cheers,

CC
recoil

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »

This is a most excellent post.  Thank you.

I'll be "picking up" that book tonight. 

Clearmind
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 06:40:26 PM »

NiceGuy83  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) - and words = actions

Bananas

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 08:45:15 PM »

I really hope some of this helps some of you.  The very fact that you cared for someone who was not kind to you shows that you have a nuturing nature, and that, if nothing else, means I know *I* would like you if we met.  You probably rescue wounded animals, just like me.  You probably just want to be loved and accepted, and to give love and acceptance, just like me.  You probably need to work on understanding when that is a healthy response to a situation, and when it is not.  Just like me.

NiceGuy

Thanks for posting that NiceGuy!  I needed that today!     I like you too!
Sparky2Blame?

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 09:49:27 PM »

That was a really nice read.  Very well written and easy to take in.

I'll definately reference it from time to time.  And I'm sure others here will find it valuable as well.

Thanks for puttin it together!
thisyoungdad

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 02:36:28 AM »

Thanks for posting this! I have realized that what you described was totally my situation with my soon to be ex. I didn't realize it until the past couple months but that intense "love" and affection I was getting was A) not what a healthy romantic relationship should look like because B) that was filling a need in me that I didn't get filled as a child so therefore C) it can not possibly be healthy for me to be receiving it so freely but also for her to be giving it.

This has helped me see that from the earliest days it was not only doomed but sick and toxic despite the positive I felt at the time. This realization has helped me when I think about how I felt when she left without warning last September. I felt like I was a child being abandoned. I couldn't say it at the time but it was so deep and primal. It has been really helpful working with my therapist on these issues and seeing them. The more I can see my part in it, how I was so desperate to hang on to the relationship despite how unhealthy it was because I literally thought I would die (like a child would if abandoned) the easier it is to slowly let go and allow reality to sink it. And it feels healthy, although painful as hell. Thanks so much for posting this.
charred

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 06:17:01 AM »

Thanks for posting this! I have realized that what you described was totally my situation with my soon to be ex. I didn't realize it until the past couple months but that intense "love" and affection I was getting was A) not what a healthy romantic relationship should look like because B) that was filling a need in me that I didn't get filled as a child so therefore C) it can not possibly be healthy for me to be receiving it so freely but also for her to be giving it.

This has helped me see that from the earliest days it was not only doomed but sick and toxic despite the positive I felt at the time. This realization has helped me when I think about how I felt when she left without warning last September. I felt like I was a child being abandoned. I couldn't say it at the time but it was so deep and primal. It has been really helpful working with my therapist on these issues and seeing them. The more I can see my part in it, how I was so desperate to hang on to the relationship despite how unhealthy it was because I literally thought I would die (like a child would if abandoned) the easier it is to slowly let go and allow reality to sink it. And it feels healthy, although painful as hell. Thanks so much for posting this.

I agree with each of your comments. Read lots of explanations of why the bond was intense in BPD r/s, but they didn't ring true to me, and as I said I had dated many gals, been dumped plenty... . but only one devastated me, and objectively... . she wasn't all that special, not the prettiest, etc. So the question was WHY did it hurt so much more. Read about attachment theory (explaining BPD)... . read some books on attachment theory and realized it applied to me as much as her, as I seemed to be avoidant attachment style... . did the schema therapy tests and some others, and found that I was not NPD or BPD, but did have some minor issues... . the big thing was simply a cold distant mother and my pwBPD ignoring the boundaries that kept everyone else at bay. Had she been the soul mate she claimed, we would have married and had kids and life would have been different, but it was all an act on her part... . and I wanted it so much I ignored all the  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) . When I was dumped, I thought I would die (as you said)... . and it still really hurt... . 5 yrs and another 3-4 gals later. To my amazement hearing her voice 25 yrs later cut me to the core and it was like not a minute had passed in intensity... . not normal. Every other gal I dated... . after a while my reaction to them was a yawn... . and this gal in comparison to some was average... . in fact she had gained weight, got an ugly haircut and didn't have much in the way of looks... . yet I was smitten again.

I didnt want  to learn that the super important relationship I would do anything for... . was in fact a manipulation by a disordered person with the emotional maturity of a 3 yr old... . sure didn't want to accept that I had the kind of feelings toward this messed up woman that I should have had toward my mom... . but didn't.  However putting in her in the mom position on a moral pedestal ... . does explain why I took the increasing abuse and unreasonable demands, the isolation from family and friends, the petty jealousy and eventually outrageous behavior... . when I never have or would from anyone else. Adding all that up, plus the eventual realization she was not the nice/good person I wanted to believe she was, but rather a manipulative near psychopath... . got me to wake up and take notice. For me the "total acceptance of reality"... . is the only path to getting over the r/s. I still have feelings for her, but I don't have to respond to her... . and I see her for what she is... . and realize it was my need and hers that made the electricity... . not love.

Picturing her as my mommy substitute/3 yr old wannabe slave master... . helps me easily stay NC, as the though of living my life catering to her unreasonable whims, while hurting myself, my family and anyone else I care about... . is revolting, and makes it much easier to move forward.

Still have to deal with my own issues, denying that I had problems and trying to compensate by a long list of achievements... . didn't work.

Thanks for the feedback, it helps me to know that I could be helping someone else that has gone through the same horrible experience.

Charred
shaggysoul

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »

I want to say, Niceguy- you are a hero to me right now. I love your list of things you want in a partner. Love it. It omits the ex instantly and is something to stand strong by. Thank you.
thisyoungdad

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 02:12:52 AM »

charred you made a point that just hit home so much for me! We are nearing the end of the process for divorce although it won't be final for 6 more months for various reasons. We are close to getting all the hit settled though. Today was remarkably well in terms of that, the ex was so generous financially (long story but basically she has to pay me) well beyond what i would have even imagined to ask for. It seemed genuine, which she has moments of genuine in her. Even my attorney was floored, and hers assured me that it was entirely the wife's insistence that she be that generous. So then I get sucked back into the feelings again. The pain. The grief. All of it.

You said though that just because you feel it doesn't mean you have to act on it. that is helpful because like you said, I would never ever put up with this from someone else. In fact as we were waiting to see the attorneys she said to me that the reason we can not have family time with the kid in the park and have to have a NC situation is because I do not have any boundaries. What a huge general statement that is not true. I reminded her politely that she is the one who started the argument in the park last time including being hostile, and then I politely asked her how that was serving her as I walked into the other room. For me that is a huge boundary, not staying and engaging or being hit upon. She really believed it too. Yet tonight I miss her, and have all these twisted ideas about how I still love her. Thank god for therapy, and thanks for making that point that I don't have to act.
charred

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 06:22:26 AM »

Not acting is an option... . I am working on a project with a project manager that is a very attractive gal, and I can feel the electricity... . and it is because she is a looney toon. In the past I would have been chasing her, however I have been squelching any interest and the more that I learn of her, the more I am glad I am not involved. (She is working on divorce #3... . leaves work 3 times a week for T, and her team... . is working on throwing her under a bus.)

Projection is rampant with pwBPD... . and what is weird is that they seem to be really good at putting you down... . with your virtues. Other people pick flaws and run with them, pwBPD... . if you are a very moral person, they will find something trivial and rally around how immoral you are, and it really messes with you. The person without boundaries is no doubt the pwBPD. The lack of boundaries is how many of them came to be with us, as many of us put up walls that most people respect to protect ourselves. I used to wonder what we were protecting ourselves from... . guess it should be pwBPD.

I have a romantic view of relationships, a bit idealized... . and kind of see the world as it could be and as I feel it should be... . and that is a naive way to be. My exBPDgf was 100% pragmatic, if it works use it, if it doesn't toss it... . leaving a diabolically manipulative person that was anything but the moral dream girl I imagined her to be when I put her on a pedestal. My life crashed down around me and I didn't challenge my view of her time and time again. When it finally became crystal clear it wasn't genuine on her part, I was shattered for a time, but accepting the reality of the situation, that I gave her power over me by accepting her moral pronouncements about me, and giving her the benefit of the doubt, rather than being myself... . caused the problem. Seeing her clearly has stopped the heartache, and helped me to see other people that would be toxic in an r/s.

It is easy to demonize a pwBPD... . but pointless. They can be charming, and horrible. A 3 yr old is entertaining at times, but will never be an equal partner in an r/s... . the pwBPD has some maturing to do and if they are already adults and haven't done it... . I don't think I can hold my breath waiting.
Anikaca77

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 12:03:56 PM »

Thank you for posting this.  Just recently, July 6th my husband left me to live with another women.  He didn't tell me where he was going until last Thursday July 11th he told me his address.  He is now 2 states away from me and has my kitties.  I miss them so much.  My whole story is on the new board.  It's just really hard for me right now.  I cry almost everyday I wake up and drive to work.  I know things are fresh righ now but I had to move in with my parents because I can't afford to move out on my own because I spent money on him and our apartment that we needed to keep.

It so sucks.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest