Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 08:24:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Healing Trick # 1 - Triggers  (Read 338 times)
bb12

« on: July 03, 2013, 06:13:38 PM »

So I was wondering what sorts of Jedi mind tricks we have all employed as we heal from our BPD break-up?

For example, whenever a song or TV show reminds me of the relationship and I remember my ex, I can pretend I am seeing the show or hearing the song for the first time... . and really listen in.

And when I start thinking that the lyrics of the song would be what I want to say to them, I flip it and say it to ME!

I send all that love to myself!

Other times, when I find myself ruminating I shake my head the moment he comes into my mind. I distract myself and force myself to think about something else.

you guys?

Bb12

talithacumi

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Stopped living together in August 2010

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 12:33:37 PM »

The hurt over this runs so deep/encompasses so much for me, that at this point in my healing process all I seem to do is find myself constantly engaging in one or another of those maladapative coping strategies to keep myself from feeling that pain - which I've noticed generally involves me musing about/letting him rent space in my head in some way.

That I'm now aware and able to RECOGNIZE that's what I'm doing is, I think, one of the most significant things that's happened so far in terms of my own healing. It allows me to step back from what I'm doing, acknowledge that I AM hurting (and that it's okay FOR me to hurt), do THAT instead of trying so hard NOT to, accept/love myself through it, and move on.

To get there though - to actually be able to STOP musing about/letting him rent space in my head - in response to WHATEVER I'm thinking about him, I just keep saying: "oh, like he even cares ... . "

Works every time.
charred

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »

I just think of her ranting and raging at me, being a full on hater, and then think of eternity with her, with that happening, and ... . somehow whatever it is doesn't seem to matter or hurt as much.

When lonely, I call family or have radio/TV or both on, so it at least sounds like people are about.

When you can take them off the pedestal and stop thinking they were perfect and "the one"... . and see them accurately with their faults... . it gets easier to be apart from them. The hurt was sure intense at first, but each day N/C is a bit better... . once in a while something triggers making it bad, but it happens less and less. Look for some support on here... . that works well.

clairedair

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »

Thanks for posting this.  I was wondering about this kind of thing today.  I got an e-mail from my exH with details of his work related trip to a country we talked about moving to/visiting even as recently as last summer that turned out to include information about his new partner going with him.  To be fair, I'd asked him to provide me with a contact number or e-mail other than his mobile in case there was a problem with the phone as we have children together and I need to know how to reach him if there's any emergency - what I didn't want to know was what they'd be doing and where they'd be going and that it would be his honeymoon as well as work.

Instead of going to pieces on the spot and really feeling the hurt, I took a different approach.  I'm not saying that 'feeling the feelings' isn't a good idea, it's just that I've been on a hellish rollercoaster for eight years and I can't afford the luxury of time out to sit with these feelings any more. 

So I talked to myself and I told myself the following:

1.  if I had been the one to go with him, I'd have been on the other side of the world with no support and he would, in all likelihood, got stressed about work and ignored me - would it have been worth going to this country I'd like to see to have that happen - NO

2.  do I actually want to be with him just now - NO (the last break was the final straw for me - I'm still really struggling but not with pining issues!)

3.  Does it actually matter that he could have a brilliant time with his new wife?  NO - because (a) refer to point 1 - he wouldn't have had a brilliant time with me because I'm no longer 'ideal' and (b) it's nothing to do with me anymore

4.  he will be away for nearly a month from our children - might be OK for him but he misses out on so much fun with them (they are older, not as dependent and good company with lots of exciting things happening for them)

So I am going to attempt this new strategy with more vigour - every time I am triggered (and it still happens more than I'd wish because of contact re: kids), I am going to take a step back and talk to myself. 

For every exciting thing he seems to be doing that reminds me of good times we had, I will remember the multiple times when what started out as a good time ended in a 180 and me wondering what had gone wrong. 

Every time I hear about how happy he is now, I will remember how loving and happy he could be with me when we reconciled and how it didn't last.  I will remember how he reconciled with an ex-gf whenever he left me and how happy he was with her and then ends up married someone completely different.

And I will tell myself that the longer he is blissfully happy and doing all the things with her that I hoped he'd want to do with me again, then the more time and space I have to heal and perhaps find someone who will want to do these things with me - not just raise my expectations about them and dash them or give me the things I want then spoil my enjoyment of them with his negative comments or by taking them away.

When you can take them off the pedestal and stop thinking they were perfect and "the one"... . and see them accurately with their faults... . it gets easier to be apart from them.

This has been key for me.  Once I saw him as he is now and not as 'my husband' who I had loved for all my adult life, things really changed.  I struggle a lot still because I am still grieving so much loss (of future and my illusions) but I am not missing him nor wishing we were back together.

catsprt

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 05:50:22 PM »

I stop what I am doing, give all my attention to the emotion and breathe deeply and calmly.
Forestaken

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »

So I was wondering what sorts of Jedi mind tricks we have all employed as we heal from our BPD break-up?

I yell "B---h! Whose kicked out of the house now?  I'm the last m---f---er you should've hit!"

(I was physically and emotionally abused for over 12 years, then while she was away, I filed for divorce)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest