Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 02:32:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things going well  (Read 533 times)
cookiekate

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married - 7 years

« on: July 28, 2013, 04:04:31 AM »

HI all,

I just wanted to post and say that my life is going well at the moment.   

I set a strong boundary about 6 weeks or so ago with my DD and so far we've both managed to keep to it.    I told her honestly that when I get involved in her life I get too overinvolved which isn't good for her - or me.    I keep reinforcing that I love her and I believe in her and trust that she can manage her own life (even though I don't totally believe it).    We are in contact every few days.  Sometimes 2 days go by, sometimes 4 or 5 days - which is much longer than ever before.   We are keeping in touch by text & email mainly but in the 6 weeks she's visited me twice at home - and both times it went OK.  I think she was nervous & anxious because she talked non-stop and was very opinionated.  I just remained calm and didn't react to anything - but felt a little rattled when she left.    She's not a peaceful soul to be around.

I get into bed at night now feeling emotionally secure and serene and not 'bruised and battered' as though I am a fragile butterfly, being tossed about by the emotional climate around me, which is how it used to be.    My focus has shifted away from her and back on myself and my life (where it needs to be).   

I'll finish with a quote that I found (humourously) true from the walking on eggshells book.  It goes something like this ... .   "Trying to meet the needs of a person with BPD is like trying to fill the Grand Canyon with water using a teaspoon - except the Grand Canyon has a bottom".

Blessings,

cookiekate  xx   
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
pessim-optimist

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 03:04:24 PM »

Thank you for the update.

Good for you! That's wonderful news!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

BioAdoptMom3

Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »

I am so glad you have come up with a coping solution which is working!  I know that has to be a relief for you right now!  Thanks for sharing your AWESOME news!
angeldust1

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 09:34:39 PM »

Dear Cookie,

"She is not peaceful soul to be around".  Wow what a familiar statement.

Peaceful is hardly a trait of the BPD.  But we do not have to buy into it.  I feel like I'm about to pop like a balloon anytime I am around my pwBPD.  At any moment I will bump into a pin and pow there I go.

It is so nice to watch from afar,  and not have to react.  They are spinning like a top,  and we don't have to do a thing,  but let them spin.

Good luck and so happy for you. Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
vivekananda

Relationship status: married

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:03:29 PM »

Hi cookiekate,

thanks for the update 

Go you girl!

Vivek    
pessim-optimist

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »

... . I feel like I'm about to pop like a balloon anytime I am around my pwBPD.  At any moment I will bump into a pin and pow there I go.

What a good description, angel.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

When we do create our own little peaceful bubble, we need those boundaries in place, so our bubble doesn't get burst. 

That is an ideal situation though, it is not always realistic. But we can keep working on getting better.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Someday . . .

Relationship status: married, 36 years

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 04:33:32 PM »

I am so happy for you!  When you are able to find a place of peace, it's such a relief.  May you and your daughter continue to be able to respect the boundaries.  It sounds as though it may be a benefit to you both.     

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest