Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 05:03:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Introspection Illusion  (Read 390 times)
UmbrellaBoy

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« on: October 15, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »

I was reading today about cognitive dissonance and the various ways people come up with post-facto explanations to justify their own behavior, even when there is really some other cause. There are lots of interesting psychological experiments about this.

One article I found had a really fascinating example:

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introspection_illusion

"Inspired by the Nisbett and Wilson paper, Petter Johansson and colleagues investigated subjects' insight into their own preferences using a new technique. Subjects saw two photographs of people and were asked which they found more attractive. They were given a closer look at their 'chosen' photograph and asked to verbally explain their choice. However, using sleight of hand, the experimenter had slipped them the other photograph rather than the one they had chosen. A majority of subjects failed to notice that the picture they were looking at did not match the one they had chosen just seconds before. Many subjects confabulated explanations of their preference. For example, a man might say 'I preferred this one because I prefer blondes' when he had in fact pointed to the dark-haired woman, but had been handed a blonde. These must have been confabulated because they explain a choice that was never made."

This proved that their explanations were simply post-facto rationalizations, not real introspection about choices (since they had not, in fact, made those choices!)

All these thoughts were fascinating to me because of something I noticed about my BPD ex. He always was able to provide very tight, even "logical" explanations for his flakiness at each step of the process. And if I suspended my disbelief and entered into his own internal logic... .I would be sort of convinced by it, I would be tricked into engaging those reasons, those alleged motives, trying to argue with them.

But now having had time to step back (as well as getting the opinions of my therapist and friends and people here on bpdfamily) it's quite clear that, even if he had a logical "explanation" for each "step" of the endless back-and-forth process... .viewed "from a distance" or in hindsight... .the process as a whole was clearly abnormal and dysfunctional. Normal people aren't so unstable, so fickle, so unable to stick with one choice in spite of there always being a counterpoint or an "on the other hand... ." to consider.

Viewed from his perspective (which I let myself do too much) every new change "made sense" according to the considerations he laid out. And yet, viewed as a whole sweep of events, it's clear that something didn't add up. Yes, each new choice considered in isolation might have had a valid explanation, but the cumulative effect was a random and unstable series of choices. This implies some underlying cause of instability (ie, the BPD) because we don't need to merely explain a cause for each individual choice, but also a cause for why the pattern came out the way it did. In normal people, there is usually a certain consistency (from the self core) that leads to a stable pattern regardless of what's behind each individual step. In my guy, there was none. So the fact that he might have had a sensible explanation for each "part" of the story of his behavior... .does not mean that the story as a whole hung together sensibly at all!

And yet he never seemed terribly concerned with this. I know BPD people have problems with "second order" desires and any sort of higher order sense of overall self-continuity outside the moment-to-moment, day-to-day, maybe week-to-week (if we're lucky). He may have been able to explain each swing of the pendulum, but that didn't explain why he was a pendulum to begin with. And I should have seen that.

toomanytears
Formerly "mwamvua"

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »

Hi UmbrellaBoy

Interesting post. I've started cognitive analytical therapy which looks for patterns of behaviour.

Here is one with regard to my BPDh's life which I've only just come to figure out.  With one exception, he's left under a cloud or been made redundant from every job he's had. Each time he moved on it was explained away as someone else's fault, or that they didn't want him. Last September he finally got his dream job - a real peach - and everything was hunky dory for a few months. Things started to go awry in January, the stress started to bite, his drinking escalated and he dumped me in June. By then he was already talking about applying for another job somewhere else. I'm wondering how long before this dream job will also bite the dust.

Viewed from this distance it's clear that his instability will ensure that nothing will ever make him happy. It's so sad for him, for me and for his children who love him deeply. :'(

DragoN

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 11:34:14 PM »

Excerpt
All these thoughts were fascinating to me because of something I noticed about my BPD ex. He always was able to provide very tight, even "logical" explanations for his flakiness at each step of the process. And if I suspended my disbelief and entered into his own internal logic... .I would be sort of convinced by it, I would be tricked into engaging those reasons, those alleged motives, trying to argue with them.

Take the Red Pill.

Excerpt
Viewed from his perspective (which I let myself do too much) every new change "made sense" according to the considerations he laid out. And yet, viewed as a whole sweep of events, it's clear that something didn't add up. Yes, each new choice considered in isolation might have had a valid explanation, but the cumulative effect was a random and unstable series of choices. This implies some underlying cause of instability (ie, the BPD) because we don't need to merely explain a cause for each individual choice, but also a cause for why the pattern came out the way it did. In normal people, there is usually a certain consistency (from the self core) that leads to a stable pattern regardless of what's behind each individual step. In my guy, there was none. So the fact that he might have had a sensible explanation for each "part" of the story of his behavior... .does not mean that the story as a whole hung together sensibly at all!

And yet he never seemed terribly concerned with this. I know BPD people have problems with "second order" desires and any sort of higher order sense of overall self-continuity outside the moment-to-moment, day-to-day, maybe week-to-week (if we're lucky). He may have been able to explain each swing of the pendulum, but that didn't explain why he was a pendulum to begin with. And I should have seen that.

You can add to the pendulum effect by withdrawing validation as well. Which then wanders into the push/ pull dynamic. And if you don't know about BPD / NPD covert/ overt it's easy when emotionally connected to get pulled into the Matrix of their dysfunction if boundaries are mushy.
Escaped 30.Sept.2013

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 01:26:46 AM »

Take the Red Pill.

Please, what is the Red Pill? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but haven't found an explanation yet!
DragoN

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:08:23 AM »

Red pill

"This is your last chance. After this there is no turning back. You take the blue pill: the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill: you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." - Morpheus, The Matrix

The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are pop culture symbols representing the choice between embracing the sometimes painful truth of reality (red) and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue) .

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6a3g8pFc0rg
UmbrellaBoy

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »

Excerpt
So the fact that he might have had a sensible explanation for each "part" of the story of his behavior... .does not mean that the story as a whole hung together sensibly at all!

I've been thinking more about this idea of mine today.

I was thinking about how he left me. He was clearly devaluing and made it sound like he didn't want me independent of any other consideration.

However, I suspected (and it was confirmed), that it was really "about" the ex, and going back to the ex. So I was thinking, "Well, who knows what it would have been like if that weren't a confounding variable."

There is a temptation here, however, to find hope or consolation in the idea that "If it only weren't for the ex being in the picture, this triangle, things would have worked. Maybe they still will once things collapse with the old-new guy."

To think this way is to buy into the inner causal logic of his story, which is actually incoherent in the manner I described above.

If the triangle were really just a one-time fluke in his life, then maybe it would make sense to think "If only it weren't for the triangle. Maybe once he's out of the picture for good, he'll be back for me." If that were really the cause, then it would mean that, without that cause in the picture, things wouldn't have gone down.

But I have to remember everything I've seen and learned about his life as a whole. This wasn't a one-time fluke, it was part of a pattern. As such, I have to consider that the "cause" of him leaving me being the triangle... .is not enough to explain why he set things up like a triangle (and couldn't extract himself from it emotionally for years) in the first place!

The truth is, I suspect, that things would have gone down one way or another with or without this triangle. He would have found some way to sabotage the relationship. Which means that the triangle, the ex, whatever... .are not really "causes," they're merely means or manifestations. If it hadn't been that, it would have been something else, which disrupts his whole illusion regarding the causation.

Which makes me realize: if it hadn't been that ex, it would have been someone else. With a normal person we might think "If it only hadn't been for that... ." but with someone like him, with probable BPD, that "if only" is an illusion and miscognition about the causation, because the "if" itself is problematic; "if only there was no triangle" as if the triangle was just a random happening. No, it was bound to happen because of his disorder, it was practically inevitable, if not with the ex or with me, then with others. So the "if only" is rather useless.

Conversely, even if his choosing to devalue and dump me really didn't have anything to do with going back to the ex... .it was still strange and erratic enough that it was clearly caused by BPD, whatever his internal logical might have been, whatever way his self-sabotaging manifested itself, whatever means he chose. To get philosophical, the contingent efficient cause for his behavior (the "inner logic" explanation or excuse for each step) doesn't really matter here, when the final cause (his own warped sense of self and agency) is so messed up to begin with.

I shouldn't care about his internal logic, because it's all just an illusion, a post-facto rationalization for erratic emotions, an elaborate self-sabotaging set up due to engulfment/abandonment fears and shame and the lack of a coherent selfhood, and so I should neither be seeking validation nor self-blaming there. That's like blaming Gavrilo Princip for starting WWI just because his act was the "spark." But the truth is, with all the geopolitical tension in place, some spark would have come along to set off all that kindling one way or another.

To think this way is to enter back into the Matrix or go down the rabbit hole. That is a dream-world of his that actually doesn't do much but obfuscate the true underlying causes of his behavior.

At best, all it gives me is some forewarning that (on account of his own internal logic) a recycle may be very likely once things collapse with the new-old guy (also seemingly very likely). It gives no real hope for health beyond that, though.

winston72
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 09:55:34 PM »

Great insights, UmbrellaBoy!  Thank you.  I think you are elaborating and shedding light on the problem of applying a reasonable, orderly thought process to someone whose inner world is disordered.  To make that realization and live within its reality is to experience a loss.  We lose what we thought was the connection to a whole person that we have been valuing and loving.  We want to think they are reacting to the relationship, to life, in the same manner that would. 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest