Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 05:50:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this normal  (Read 395 times)
tightropewalker

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married 5 years

« on: November 05, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »

Basically my DD was diagnosed with BPD around a month ago by her counsellor at the same, the diagnosis was welcome after going to hell and back with her several times, at least now we could know the reason for her behaviour, shortly after diagnosis she was discharged from the young peoples mental health team as she had turned 19, we were advised to see her GP who could refer to adult mental health.  This we did yesterday only for him to tell us to come back in 6 weeks and in the In between time my DD was to try harder to structure her days and not to let the BPD define who she is. I feel almost back to square one and so frustrated,

My DD leaves all the talking to me as she finds it hard to speak up and I fear this makes me look like a pushy mum who's over reacting.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
crazedncrazymom

Relationship status: Married 19 years

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 07:00:17 AM »

Welcome  I know it is a relief being able to label what dd is going through so you can make an action plan.  I remember before dd16 was diagnosed we were just out at sea in the middle of a storm with no land in sight.  Things get really tough still but at least we are better equipped to deal with everything. 

Such bad timing to have to find a new dr that your dd can trust and build a connection.  You could be a little more proactive.  Do a search for DBT in your area and go from there.  It takes a lot of effort to find a therapist/pdoc who understands BPD.  This isn't your everyday illness and most don't understand that.

It sounds like you have a good connection with your dd.  Is that right?  If so, you can be as much help as a therapist.  A great starting place would be to check out the tools and lessons on the right hand side of the board. 

Again, welcome!  I hope you find the support and answers you need here with us.

-crazed
crumblingdad

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:13:07 AM »

So frustrating to have to change treatment providers like that.  Even more frustrating to hear something like "you have to structure your days better and don't let BPD define you" as a treatment plan to fill a 6 week.

I think it's great that your dd is open to therapy and has a close enough connection with you to let you do the talking during this time where I would think she may feel she's out on an island waiting for some help.  I wouldn't let that make you feel pushy as whatever mode of communication is necessary is better then none until you find a competent provider.  I also wouldn't hesitate to ask for additional referrals and see if someone will see her sooner that has some experience and understanding in treating BPD.

BioAdoptMom3

Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 09:28:44 PM »

I agree on searching for a therapist who is experienced in DBT!  I actually did that search myself last night for our DD who already has her own therapist.  Though they have connected and she likes her, I have heard that DBT is the most effective treatment out there right now.  Just do a Google looking for therapists in your area who practice that form of therapy!  My heart goes out to you on her being told to just structure her days better, etc.  Most people, even doctors, do not fully understand BPD!   
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest