Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 08:31:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction daughter has BPD  (Read 502 times)
Vintagefluffymom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: November 03, 2013, 07:28:53 AM »

Hello everyone, I have a daughter with BPD. My son committed suicide 23 months ago and that alone has been a rough road. She went away to a home for troubled girls for 7 months and she really learned a lot there. How to not only cope but thrive as best she can. My problem is people perceive us as this codependent mess! I know the difference! Has anyone else had this stigma and how do you handle it.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
clairedair

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:14:44 AM »

Hi Vintagefluffymom,

Welcome to  Welcome.  I am glad that you have found your way here.

I am so sorry to hear about your son's suicide.  As you say, that alone is a very difficult experience. I can't imagine what it must be like to be dealing with a daughter with BPD on top of grieving for your son.  Has your daughter been formally diagnosed with BPD?

Some people who may have more of an understanding of the highs and lows of parenting a child with BPD are the people who post on the Parenting Board.  Here's the link:

Parenting a son or daughter suffering from BPD board

Hopefully someone else with a more similar experience to yours can comment on being perceived as a "codependent mess".   I have found in my own situation that people who are not going through anything remotely similar feel duty-bound to label me or my behaviours in some way.  Or offer 'advice' (i.e. tell me what to do).

This is a place where people understand and I hope that you find some answers here.  Please read the posts on the Parenting Board and some of the excellent resources that the site offers. 

Do you manage to have time/space to look after yourself?  What support do you have?

take care

Claire

peaceplease

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 01:28:33 PM »

Vintagefluffymom,

.  I would like to join clairedair in welcoming you to bpdfamily.  I am so sorry for all that you are going through.  My deepest sympathy for your son's suicide 23 months ago and your dd's BPD.

I can understand how others can easily judge when they don't totally understand.  For them, I say "Forgive them, for they know not what they do/say".  Unless, someone has walked in your shoes they can not say how they would respond in the situation.  Like a childless person commenting on how they would never let their kid do this or that.  I am sure that outsiders see my daughter as having "spoiled brat syndrome".  And, how others have kids that are successful in academics  and career.  They had a different hand to play than what we were dealt.  The good news is there is so much help and suppport for us. 

I have an adult daughter that I suspect has BPD.  I can understand what you mean about others comments. 

And, as clairedair asked,  I would like to know if you are taking care of yourself, too? 

I hope you will join us on the parents board.  I look forward to seeing your future posts.

peaceplease
Vintagefluffymom

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »

Thank you both for your welcome. I am still trying to navigate through this site. My daughter has been diagnosed with BPD last year. I will definitely join The parents when I figure out how
peaceplease

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 09:33:40 PM »

I understand, there is so much information on this site.  You can join the parents board when you are ready.  Meanwhile, you can navigate through. Smiling (click to insert in post)  Please let us know if there is anything that we can help you find.

peaceplease
clairedair

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »

Hi Vintagefluffymom,

If you click on 'Boards' in the tabs that are just underneath the header section, there's a list of different boards.  Scroll down (we have lots of boards - cater to all needs!) and you will find

[L5] Parenting a Son or Daughter Suffering from BPD

Click on this and you should find your way to the board.  You can read for a while, reply to a post or jump right in and start your own topic - best way to start is to write something along the lines of your first post here. 

Take your time - no need to do this right away if you don't feel like it.

take care,

Claire
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest