Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 06:28:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confidence that ending the relationship was best for both of us  (Read 370 times)
Jadam12

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: November 17, 2013, 04:12:12 PM »

Interestingly the most difficult part about ending the relationship is feeling guilty about ending it and hurting the other.  Especially because she was having so many problems in her life and that leaving her played right into her fear that I would eventually abandon her. She was so sure I would abandon her that she created an atmosphere that made me want to leave.

It's a strange dilemma to get oneself untwisted from, but day by day it's beginning to feel more right than wrong.

It's nice to wake up and realize I don't have to be responsible for fixing someone else's problems.
BuildingFromScratch

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »

Yeah, I relate. But part of me still thinks too much about helping her. I know I need to focus on myself though, but untwisting myself is going to be a long process.
fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »

Yes, I felt that too; leaving her meant I was denying her the help I promised to give, the worst thing I could do, although I was too pissed when I left to feel guilty.

But digging a little with distance, it became clear that's what the relationship was based on; me helping and her accepting help, always some challenge in the perpetual chaos that is her life.  And the way I'm wired, classic people pleaser, I denied my own feelings and made her's more important, with a convoluted belief system that somehow outwardly focusing would get my needs met, get having given.  Well, that created a loaded bond between my borderline and me, doomed to implosion and failure.

And that's the challenge moving forward: how can I get my needs met in healthier ways?  Why have I defaulted to people pleaser mode, what did I learn in my youth that made that the best choice?  Everything feels different addressing those, it's a brand new world, thanks borderline.
peterparker

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:48:30 AM »

I felt this same dilemma, though I think my breakup was easier, in that when I started spending time with a new friend, my ex called me up begging for me to take her back she was in such a state that the the things she said at the beginning of the conversation turned out to be lies 10 minutes later, then those lies turned out to be lies another 10 minutes after that. Reconciliation FAIL.

This was a big part of being able to stay in NC these last few weeks, remembering that they have to first recognize their role in the pain they feel, that most of their anguish is self-made.

You can't help anyone be happy, the only thing you can do is make them smile. It's up to them to take the next step, but we shouldn't wait around for them to do so.

Learning_curve74

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 04:14:06 AM »

You can't help anyone be happy, the only thing you can do is make them smile.

So wise! I love it!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest