Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 01:49:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Really everyone Sometimes I think I can get more messed up  (Read 362 times)
drv3006

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: November 22, 2013, 07:45:25 AM »

reading all the things that happened to everyone else.   I do have compassion for all of us, don't get me wrong.  But this entire event in my life and hearing the events of others makes me think, doubt and question my sanity more.   I am the one who seems to be forgetting the disease these people have.   I noticed in my post that I didn't really talk about the stuff he tried to do.  He did DBT for a year has counseling and continues to work on himself.   Personally I think he does a horrible job at it, but I end up comparing him to all these other people on here and these people are human beings.  Sick.   Don't get me wrong, everytime this guy calls me I feel sick.  But during all this I have lost compassion for him and others and even on here I find myself, thinking we are bashing the crap out of sick people. Me Included.  It is a constant guilt for me.   I feel awful and crappy on the inside like I can't think for myself.  I don't even know what I am trying to say.
Surnia
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: 8 y married, divorced since 2012-11-22

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 11:21:51 AM »

drv

I hear guilt and confusion in your post. When you feel guilty each time he is calling you, it makes sense that you feel no compassion for him. Feeling guilty is often related with "we should do this or that". Sometimes we put ourselves under stress. Perhaps you can explore this a bit more.

Lets take this sentence out:

Excerpt
I feel awful and crappy on the inside like I can't think for myself.

If you look at drv3006, what would she need from you to feel better?

“Don’t shrink. Don’t puff up. Stand on your sacred ground.”  Brené Brown
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:03:56 PM »

reading all the things that happened to everyone else.   I do have compassion for all of us, don't get me wrong.  But this entire event in my life and hearing the events of others makes me think, doubt and question my sanity more.   I am the one who seems to be forgetting the disease these people have.   I noticed in my post that I didn't really talk about the stuff he tried to do.  He did DBT for a year has counseling and continues to work on himself.   Personally I think he does a horrible job at it, but I end up comparing him to all these other people on here and these people are human beings.  Sick.   :)on't get me wrong, everytime this guy calls me I feel sick.  But during all this I have lost compassion for him and others and even on here I find myself, thinking we are bashing the crap out of sick people. Me Included.  It is a constant guilt for me.   I feel awful and crappy on the inside like I can't think for myself.  I don't even know what I am trying to say.

Hi drv, I certainly share some of the feelings you have said... .mine even admitted (finally!) the other night that she was [mentally] "sick." But then she goes back to the same abusive behavior.

I may be in a minority, but I've never bought into the analogy equating physical sickness with mental sickness. I think it's something filtered into our society to make US feel guilty about not sitting there in the corner like the kicked puppy, licking the hand that smacks it, because, after all, the master is "sick" but he still loves us... .It's a form of emotional and societal blackmail. It's FOG. We can support, but we must not throw in the towels of our own hearts and be treated like doormats because "they're sick, they can't help it." Do we have no compassion? Are we monsters? No and no. Quite the opposite.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest