Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 04:51:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coasting By  (Read 369 times)
kft

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 06, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »

Does anyone else deal with depression when pwBPD is able to continuously coast through life: narrowing avoiding rock bottom and yet never really making significant steps forward?

Then I feel bad about feeling depressed because it's not as if I WANT him to suffer. It's just there are so many time bombs in his current arrangement. Even once I removed myself from the fallout zone, I hate waiting for everything to go to hell again.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 02:27:57 PM »

Does anyone else deal with depression when pwBPD is able to continuously coast through life: narrowing avoiding rock bottom and yet never really making significant steps forward?

It can be frustrating. BPD is a complex condition. Hitting rock bottom won't fix anything in the sense that it leads to a significant step forward. Progress for a pwBPD is gradual and sometimes goes through confusing phases. It is not driven by insight but by acquiring regulation skills. That takes time and practice.

One feels quite helpless being an observer and often on the receiving end of a fallout. Still with some emotional reading skill build up by validating the pwBPD and good boundary skills we can more easily see when things fall apart and take precautions in advance. Knowing what to say when and being able to head of some disasters allows us to feel safer and relax more. Also that takes learning and practice and won't happen in a few weeks. The quickest impact from our side has avoiding invalidation.

The dynamic of BPD is driven by many factors. That is why it took so long to figure out a working therapy. Every single aspect is highly individual and confusing. No single change will have much impact. But together they do.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
kft

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:22:33 PM »

It can be frustrating. BPD is a complex condition. Hitting rock bottom won't fix anything in the sense that it leads to a significant step forward. Progress for a pwBPD is gradual and sometimes goes through confusing phases. It is not driven by insight but by acquiring regulation skills. That takes time and practice.

I think you and I have very different ideas of what a "significant step forward" is. I want him to become receptive to the idea of skill building (ideally with DBT). I can deal with everything else. After all my brother tried to kill me when I was 21 ... . the BPD silent treatment kind of pales in comparison  

But he's not really skills building, he's hiding under the assumption that this elaborate system of vitamins and herbs he's concocted through trial and error is making his mood swings more manageable. Nonsense. But there's no way he'll see that if he continues to escape the full consequences of his decisions. Which is depressing.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest