Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 09:41:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on parenting coordinator rejection by exH  (Read 853 times)
Matt
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced.

« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »

"I'm not going to respond, because it will end up in a back and forth.  We agreed on that time.  If he doesn't go, he doesn't go.  I'm going."

I think this is wise.  Over the years I've come step-by-step to an approach like this - say what you're going to do, and then do it, and let the other party make his choices and get whatever consequences they produce.

"I still can't get past my regret of not getting a psych and custody eval to begin with, which at least would have given me information on how to proceed."

Don't beat yourself up too much.  I made some big mistakes early on, and I'm sure most of us do.  We don't learn about this stuff in school.  We have to make the best choices we can, and learn as we go.  (But I'm really glad I found this community - it saved me from learning a lot of stuff the hard way.)

david

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2014, 07:50:16 AM »

By saying you made an appointment and the time and date you also said you are following the court order, doing what was agreed to, and not letting chaos and confusion rule the day. Sounds like a good boundary to me. I wouldn't reply to the second email since that is just trying to create some confusion. You first email said everything you needed to say.

My ex was very good at making me second guess myself. The more detached I got the better things got for the boys and me.

momtara

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2014, 11:51:46 AM »

Exactly.  Thank you.

I honestly wouldn't object to looking for new PC's and doing it the right way (getting a court order if we find a good one) if I didn't think it would mean more walking on eggshells with him and jumping through hoops.  I do think it might even be better to go about it the right way and find someone who can be court appointed, and stick with that person. 

He makes things so difficult.  I have to always be conscious about not making a decision just to get it over with so he'll stop badgering me.  It's not always clear what the right decision is.  If we pick a new PC, that person can be better, or worse.  I just don't always know.
Matt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced.

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2014, 12:02:33 PM »

Exactly.  Thank you.

I honestly wouldn't object to looking for new PC's and doing it the right way (getting a court order if we find a good one) if I didn't think it would mean more walking on eggshells with him and jumping through hoops.  I do think it might even be better to go about it the right way and find someone who can be court appointed, and stick with that person. 

He makes things so difficult.  I have to always be conscious about not making a decision just to get it over with so he'll stop badgering me.  It's not always clear what the right decision is.  If we pick a new PC, that person can be better, or worse.  I just don't always know.

No, you don't always know what's right, especially on things like which PC would be best.  You do some homework and then make your best judgment, just like we all do, and sometimes it works out well, and sometimes it doesn't.

You don't have to be badgered about stuff like this.  You can communicate with him by e-mail, and send him very simple notes - 3 sentences max, just the information, no emotions or arguments.  And then when he responds, you ignore anything that isn't constructive and only deal with what is useful.  You don't have to talk to him on the phone or face-to-face if it doesn't work - just turn and walk away, and let his calls go to voice-mail.

It took me a while to change how I deal with my ex.  Now I almost never see her face-to-face, and when I do I just say hello and walk on.  If she calls I let it go to voice-mail and decide whether to call back based on what she says.  If I decide to talk to her on the phone, and she says inappropriate stuff, I have learned to abruptly change the subject - no attempt at subtlety - just change the subject, to something directly related to the kids, and if that doesn't work, I hang up.

It's a big change but it works.  You do not have to allow yourself to be badgered.

momtara

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »

I agree.  I allow this because that way, I get info about the kids when he has them.  I'd rather keep the lines of communication open.  But I do agree that there are limits and boundaries.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest