Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 02:29:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lesson of a lifetime = 3 years of selling myself short  (Read 377 times)
Madison66

« on: February 15, 2014, 11:52:39 AM »

I had to "re-ground" myself yesterday and remind myself why I left the 3 year r/s with my uBPD/NPD ex gf, and how I finally had the strength to leave the r/s after three recycles in the last year.  I couldn't have with this person what I want and need in a r/s.  I then journaled last night writing down 44 words to describe the r/s that I want and will have.  Words like kindness, vulnerability, trust, transparency, collaboration, emotional maturity, empathy, accountability, communication, authenticity, desire to grow, humility, intimacy, financial responsibility, balanced, accepting, consistency, etc.  Out of the 44 words I wrote down, there are 30 words or descriptions I couldn't have either because my ex gf couldn't do them, because I became frustrated with the r/s, and because the emotional abuse had destroyed the fabric of the r/s.  I did the "dance" and hold myself responsible for staying in the unhealthy r/s way, way, way too long.  The shift I made yesterday was to finally focus on "me" and my needs, and no longer selling myself short!  I started this process two years ago when I began T and this days has been coming for a long time.  :)etachment has had to happen to finally move forward.

Part of the work on myself I'm doing in T is to believe in myself and love myself so that I can hold my standards and values high.  I won't accept a reality or someone else's reality that isn't in line with my core values, wants and needs.  I will no longer sell myself short... .    
santa

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »

Anyone staying with a BPD is selling themselves short. They'll be your worst enemy if you love them enough. It's thankless and a constant struggle. The only possible result is failure with them too because they can't be helped.

Anyone not BPD is better than any BPD over the course of time.
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 12:00:24 PM »

The shift I made yesterday was to finally focus on "me" and my needs, and no longer selling myself short!  I started this process two years ago when I began T and this days has been coming for a long time.  :)etachment has had to happen to finally move forward.

Part of the work on myself I'm doing in T is to believe in myself and love myself so that I can hold my standards and values high.  I won't accept a reality or someone else's reality that isn't in line with my core values, wants and needs.  I will no longer sell myself short... .    

Excellent news, Madison66 !  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  This is growth and I commend you for putting yourself first.  I know it's not easy to change the habits of a lifetime, but it can be done.  You deserve a relationship that fulfills you and encourages you to thrive. 

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
growing_wings

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 01:49:01 PM »

great to hear Maddison... .   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

refusing to accept a reality that is not in line with your core values, wants and needs is "Integrity"... .

i found myself in a similar situation like you, and stepping back and re-alining the reality to values that resonate deep within ourselves brings a lot of self -respect.

best wishes

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest