Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 04:22:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All in favor say "I"  (Read 1386 times)
12BarBlues

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 23, 2014, 09:03:08 PM »

Hello all!   I have been lurking here for quite some time but until now have not posted. A big thanks to everyone who has and continues to share their stories of success, setbacks, and healing. I feel like I am at the point where the lessons learned are more valuable than the singular incidents that I experienced. However, I have read my story in the stories of others far too many times to count. Since the patterns and behaviors seem to be similar (predictably unpredictable too) with our EXs it would stand to reason that the strategies and processes for our healing and detachment would also be very similar.

I'm about two years out of my experience with my uBPDexgf and after this much time the one thing I will say to those still progressing through detachment - It gets better! One of the most common questions I asked myself then and see on this board still is- WHEN does it get better? For me, it was when I began to think and use "I" statements instead of "SHE" statements.

She violated my trust and insulted my intelligence by cheating on me and lying constantly about so many things but came running back into my life when things got tough (huge ego boost for me) - I allowed myself to accept habitually unacceptable behavior with regards to infidelity, and dishonesty but would allow my boundaries to shatter because I thought she had seen the light.

She would always say one thing and do another - I allowed myself to continue to be focused on someone's words instead of actions.

She was a drama queen and only cared about herself. Her victim mentality and poor me fairy tales of her past made me want to protect her and show her that I was different from all the other guys- I was insecure with myself and inside this abusive relationship was a "compulsive white knight". I attempted to control her because of my need to "save" her.

She constantly gaslighted, raged, and belittled me which preyed on my insecurities. She talked down to me and made me feel bad about myself and made me question my own sanity - I allowed someone to disrespect me and assassinate my character for actions which I would never do and thoughts and feelings I would never have because I thought "that's what love is".

She would always pick a fight and try to break up every few days but blame it on something I had said in a certain "tone" or something I had done with malicious intent to "hurt" her - I allowed myself to continue a relationship where arguing was the main focus of our interactions and my reactions made it worse by invalidating the statements of an emotionally dysregulated person, all in the name of me being misunderstood.

These are examples of how I transformed the "she,she,she" into I and me. Taking responsibility for my actions and learning how to create my own boundaries was a huge revelation. Understanding also that I can't control other people but only how I respond to them. Try not to dwell on shaming or beating yourself up too much while progressing through your healing because true detachment happens when you don't realize it. Great line from a TV show I heard recently. "Every day you wake up it will be the first thing you think about... . until one day it's the second." Time is the best healer around.

Other things that may help: Keep NC going unless there are kids involved or you work together. Then keep it at a businesslike minimum or be the rock in the storm for your children. Make lists of unacceptable behaviors you allowed and read them out loud until they make you sick. Then burn them. Apply the facts, stages, lessons, and all of the other tools seen on this site to your own actions, some of them may not apply to you or you may not see how they do yet, but they are a very helpful guide to healing yourself and growing into the person you want to become.

Learn to love the most important person in your life - YOU. Get physical, get a hobby, learn to play an instrument, write a story, paint a room, volunteer at a homeless or animal shelter, basically create a life that revolves around filling the hole in your heart that doesn't revolve around managing someone else's moods. Focus on being the magical and wonderful person you want to be. Yoke the things in your life that bring you happiness until you feel it naturally. Use this experience to show compassion and feel empathy towards others who are going through their own emotional challenges and self-discoveries on this board and in your life. It sounds cliche because it's been the key to others survival and for some of you right now, in your darkest, loneliest hour, that's exactly what you are doing... . surviving. You are not alone, you are not the first and won't be the last, but you have work to do and it isn't easy. Together we will get through this. I promise you this, when the day comes and feeling the warm sun puts a smile on your face, you WILL know the taste of freedom.  Being cool (click to insert in post)

Thank you all for reading and hang in there! 
NickM

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 09:24:19 PM »

Well said, nothing is more empowering than:

Discovering your own boundaries,

admitting you collapsed them,

understanding why and then forgiving yourself

while taking the responsibility for your own behaviour in place of blaming others for theirs.

Thanks for your share. I think it will really help others.
refusetosuccumb

Relationship status: Seperated, on way to divorce

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 09:32:51 PM »

12BarBlues, wow. Thank you for that. I am currently in a dark emotional place in regards to dissolving my marriage, as the children and I are moving to our own place in 2 days. I am overwhelmed, I also work full time.

I am excited and scared. Empowered and nervous. We WILL be ok.

This site has saved my sanity. Thank you all.   
Emelie Emelie

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »

Wonderful post... . excellent advice.
AG

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:41 PM »

Thank you for this. Im going to try to make my own list like this. Awesome technique. Yet another gem from this site.
Vindikat

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 11:16:48 PM »

I want to say YOU have written the most helpful post/guidelines. It is not only very well written -It's heartfelt, concise and says it all. No matter what stage a person is at dealing with the BPD in their life, they should read and keep this close to them.

It has been a hard day and reading this really helped.

Thank you... .
gary seven

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:53 AM »

12BB, thank you for some very inspirational guidance.

I, too, am having a hard day. My spouse is busy texting me from her fifth facility (in a year), and after 34 medications "don't work."  She says if she were home, so much more would get done.  In my mind that translates to CHAOS, REFUSAL, ARGUMENTS and POSTURING in front of my three kids.  Get the acronym?

You are showing ME what I need to do.  And you are right.  It is very hard, and it happens in very small steps, but when I can see and do it, I feel better.  Now mind you, it's not like who I was 30 yrs ago, but it is who I am TODAY.

Thanks again, Gary
oldweasel

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »

YOU ARE BRILLIANT

Thanks for that post. "I" will work on "I".
Lamaiel

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »

This is a wonderful post.  It has been said on the leaving board many times that one needs to reflect on themselves more than anything else when it comes to their BPD relationship.
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »

Excellent advice, 12BarBlues, thank you for sharing.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
12BarBlues

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »

I, too, am having a hard day. My spouse is busy texting me from her fifth facility (in a year), and after 34 medications "don't work."  She says if she were home, so much more would get done.  In my mind that translates to CHAOS, REFUSAL, ARGUMENTS and POSTURING in front of my three kids.  Get the acronym?

Absolutely! It seemed that in my experience an audience ramped up the acronym. I sometimes wondered if it was because she was a different person to everyone present and she didn't know how to act due to identity issues. I empathize with your situation but at least you are aware of it when it happens!
12BarBlues

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 02:15:05 PM »

12BarBlues, wow. Thank you for that. I am currently in a dark emotional place in regards to dissolving my marriage, as the children and I are moving to our own place in 2 days. I am overwhelmed, I also work full time.

I am excited and scared. Empowered and nervous. We WILL be ok.

This site has saved my sanity. Thank you all.   

You are also very brave. Know that we are all behind you!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 04:43:30 PM »

Thank you for this.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Xstaticaddict

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 05:04:13 PM »

Wonderful post. When I use I statements I definitely feel more peace about having put myself in a bad situation, and get more clarity about what I will NOT do again once I've described it as an action and not a feeling.
Soulslider

Relationship status: 4 years

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 06:58:17 PM »

What a wonderful post 12barblues!

I would also like to reiterate that it does get a lot better with time! What has helped me tremendously in my detachment was radical acceptance and a lot of reading on this site. As one learns to face the facts ( I keep repeating it like a mantra when I ruminate) the FOG and enmeshment will wear thin, and eventually that all consuming sadness and pain will fade away. As time passes, it becomes a lot easier to see things for what they are or were. From a detached angle it's a lot easier to view the condition with clinical eyes. I read this quote somewhere the other day:

"Someone I loved once

gave me a box full of

DARKNESS. 

It took me years to

understand that this

too, was a GIFT!"

Mind you, I could have done without it :-)... . stay strong and carry on!

Peace & Love
Blimblam

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 09:10:45 PM »

I

and thank you for the inspirational post.
really

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 01:36:07 AM »

Thank you.  Fine words. 

maternal

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 10:57:02 AM »

Yes and yes.
Lion Fire

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »

Great post. This really helps. Thank you  Smiling (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest