Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 04:27:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Living without the constant anger  (Read 372 times)
iluminati

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: April 24, 2014, 02:11:51 PM »

Since the BPD exw has moved on, I've settled into a normal routine with my daughter and I.  She definitely misses her mother, but I have arranged counseling for my daughter, and it seems to help.  The one thing I am noticing as I move on is the lack of constant anger and rage in the air.  I didn't realize how much it was until the air cleared, and I moved on with my own life.  Granted, there was no way of knowing whether my wife would accept help until she was presented with it.  Still, just noticing the absence of complete anger and rage at the world has been eye-opening.  This is from someone who didn't even bother really interacting towards the end, nor really played into the temper tantrums, so it isn't that I spent my time walking on eggshells.  It was more of an ambient thing, just noticing how upset she was 24/7.

How have you dealt with the difference over time?  And can anyone relate to this experience?

He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.~ Matthew 5:45
fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 06:36:34 PM »

You mention not interacting or playing into it towards the end, detaching while still technically in the relationship.  I wasn't married to my ex and it was a relatively short relationship, but I went from fully engaged in the crazymaking to flopping to completely fed up, and as soon as I started giving her back what she gave me things really blew up and the relationship ended.

The thing that was in the air for me, the ambient vibe, was the unpredictability, which did create the feeling of walking on eggshells when I let it matter.  Rage was always an option, but so was momentary glee, crippling insecurity, emotional distance, general funk, wide ranges of emotions that could change on a dime.  And yes, when I left her I immediately felt massive relief, and just talking to strangers was a joy because even they were showing up with some kind of emotional consistency.

The relief eventually faded and my own anger showed up, anger at myself for tolerating what I did, part of the grieving process I've learned.  Did you experience any of that?

iluminati

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »

I think my anger was more at my wife for not accepting the help she was offered.  She managed to get herself thrown out of DBT twice, plus tried to hustle a bunch of her other mental health providers, though I ended up stopping those efforts in her tracks (one of them unintentionally, in fact).  I was angry, but made a point to not pull the trigger on the papers until I could make a sober decision about moving on. 

By the time I moved on, I had made peace with everything and was ready to move on with my life.  Now, I don't really care about her except that she be there for my daughter.  I wish she would have accepted help, but as the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.~ Matthew 5:45
Lucky Jim

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 11:40:32 AM »

Agree, illuminati and fromhtoh, I had a similar experience.  My BPDxW's cauldron of rage was always bubbling just below the surface, until it frequently boiled over.  The principal mood or sentiment that I recall about my Ex is that of anger.   After a while, I came to regard her anger as a form of crying wolf, which led me to becoming unresponsive, or rock-like.  One way I like to describe our r/s is in terms of a cosmic game of rock, paper, scissors in which she was always shooting  "scissors."  Soon, I learned not to shoot paper, so my choice was always between scissors or rock, because I knew she was incapable of shooting anything but scissors.

I enjoy the peace that follows after the ambient anger is gone.  I still have a long way to go in order to get back on my feet, but I like going home at night without fearing that a wine bottle will be thrown at my head.  It's boring in a good way!

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
iluminati

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:06:24 PM »

Agree, illuminati and fromhtoh, I had a similar experience.  My BPDxW's cauldron of rage was always bubbling just below the surface, until it frequently boiled over.  The principal mood or sentiment that I recall about my Ex is that of anger.   After a while, I came to regard her anger as a form of crying wolf, which led me to becoming unresponsive, or rock-like.  One way I like to describe our r/s is in terms of a cosmic game of rock, paper, scissors in which she was always shooting  "scissors."  Soon, I learned not to shoot paper, so my choice was always between scissors or rock, because I knew she was incapable of shooting anything but scissors.

Hey, the only way I learned to be unresponsive was thanks to the tools on this site.  From there, it was just a matter of waiting to see if she would respond to therapy (she didn't) and for my finances to improve.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest