Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 12:24:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My manifesto. Finally accepting reality  (Read 414 times)
zenwexler

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 26, 2014, 01:17:43 PM »

So after spending almost everyday on this amazing forum with you amazing people and months of counseling I'm willing to accept reality. I have been living in a fantasy world that my ex will change. That with moving to New York, having a few extra friends around her, some yoga and church she'd suddenly be the sweet loving and caring person.

Talking to you all and my therapist I realized that this just isn't the case. That not only during our relationship but equally afterwards she clearly demonstrated that she is highly manipulative, abusive, and incapable of love. It's a heartbreaking realization but true none the less. I kept rationalizing and making excuses for her behavior but its time for me to move on.

My therapist said you MUST recognize how sick this girl is. And recognize how sick you are to even want a relationship with her. That if I was in a better place I would have never been in a relationship with her in the first place.

He asked what my biggest fear was. I told him that she would change and be happier and a great person without me.

He replied that I'm afraid that that "apple" will one day ripen? And that I'll never find a another one? He called me out and said that's an irrational fear. I then asked him if he thought her "apple" would ever ripen. He was dead serious when he said this. He's a no bull ___ kind of a guy. He Said he thinks she is rotten to the core.

Which I admit does sadden me.  I'm starting  to recognize that she truly will never be a caring loving person. I know how hard it is to change. And unfortunately the average person in the world don't change casually without a lot of hardwork.

My therapist said that with BPD. It's virtually impossible to ever live a happy and healthy lifestyle.

It's funny. He made sense of all her actions. How she manipulated me, how she never answers my questions about why she won't let me go. how she breaks me down, tells me she doesn't want to be together but refuses to let me go and never leaves me alone. Wants to know about my love life. Not becAuse she cares. But because she wants to know if I'm still available. Before we broke up she told me she would love to break up date other people then get back together later in life. Of course later down the road she said she doesn't feel that way anymore. But again her actions prove otherwise. I know she loves me. I know she wants me in her life. And I know a part of her would like to come back to me in time.  And I know she struggles to let me go. Because if she wanted to. Or could. She would have long ago. Especially after moving and dAting.  And I take comfort in that. I truly do.  Her words say no love but her actions scream I CARE. I LOVE AND MISS YOU!

I used to have anxiety about that I wasn't good enough. That I wasn't strong enough. That all her other exes broke up with her. Why did she break up with me? I learned from her old roommate that she abused all her exes full force just like me. She told me that she thought it was awesome how I would actually take a stand to her. That I wouldn't back down. That her exes never did that.

It makes so much sense. She left because  I didn't put up with her crazy. I challenged her. Pushed her to see reality and grow. And she didn't like it. I also realized that I wanted to break up with her multiple times. She just always dooped me to stay.

i would have been the third bf to break up with her in 1.5 years. It makes so much sense. And she broke up with me because once upon a time I was stronger. Higher self esteem. Not an easy target. I take comfort in that as well

It's always natural to fear when an ex gets a new relationship she's going to be amazing and happy and healthy with them and get married. Again her actions towards me prove to not be the case. I used to worry. What if her next relationship lasts? I realized if it does that just means this "laid back" nice guy from Hawaii is just giving her whatever ever she wants. That he's just catering to her everyday needs. And lets be honest. There is a ton, and most likely she's not really meeting his needs. So again. In the low self esteem state I have currently i take comfort in that as well. That shes abusing this guy just as much as she did all her bfs. No matter how great he is. And that if he lasts. It's because he's waved the white flag while she goes for the throat. I'm sure one day when I'm stronger I'll feel bad for him. But again. I take comfort in knowing that she's kind of doomed. I fully admit that. But hey. Anything that helps me sleep at night I'll take it.

I used to beg her. Just be nice to me. Give me some sex. And I'll literally do anything for you. ANYTHING. She couldn't even do that. All I ever asked was for some love. But she's selfish. Narcissistic and self centered. Even when she described her new bf it was selfish. He balances out my nerves. He's what I need.  All very self centered needy statements.

So I know the journey ahead is tough. I feel strong right now but I know I'll feel low at times as well. I'm going to ATTEMPT to maintain a friendship.

She's lost. She's scared. She's alone. Even in a relationship. She's unhappy. She always will be. And I'm going to support her to the best of my abilities. I want to be a strong enough person where I can handle anything thrown my way. And who knows. Maybe when she realizes how sad and alone she truly is we can try again. But I know that if I stick to the right path, that even if she would want to. Id be strong enough and healthy enough to recognize that that would not lead to a happy and fulfilled life.

I still do wish the best for her. I want everyone to be happy and in love. I know I have my problems. We all do. And I don't say this lightly, or for a self esteem boost. But I am the most loving and caring person I know. I know that any girl would be lucky to team up with me in life. Because I truly am willing to do whatever it takes for the people in my life.

Life is hard. I'm not looking for a wife. A girl to take care of. A sex partner. I'm looking for a best friend. A teammate. An equal.   Not someone that I have to look after. Someone who I can team up with and tackle life TOGETHER.

In this moment things are so clear. She'll never be happy. She'll never be healthy. She'll never add to my life. Just take. And being with her will not aid in my pursuit of happiness. in fact. She can only take away from it.

I know she'll try and convince me otherwise. I know she'll try and let me know how happy and healthy she's doing. It's what she always does. Unfortunately  her whole life is and always will be smoke and mirrors. Breaks my heart. But I can go to sleep at night knowing that I tried my best. That things didn't workout between us because I demanded more. Not because I wasn't good enough or expected too much.

And to be honest that makes me smile. Healthy people are attracted to healthy people. And at first she dooped me. But I saw the red flags by the second date when she yelled at me. When I picked up an abusive partner brochure at the health center. It was my fault for getting sucked in and staying. But hey. It's what they do best. And to be honest she was the first girl I ever got close with.

I know through this whole experience I have grown so much. I learned from my mistakes. I learned what I want in a relationship and what I don't. It still breaks my heart and saddens me knowing that I can never have a happy and healthy relationship with her. And that she is all smoke and mirrors. And that even when she appears to be happy and grounded that its all a show. All lies she tells me and herself.

I appreciate everyone's honest and sincere feedback. I'm going to continue to post on here and help others as well as still receive help and support. I know  everyone on here will continue to support me and remind me that this girl I love  is truly sick and to pursue a relationship with her isn't wise or healthy by no means. And that unfortunately she's not going to change. Just reminders that I'll still need to hear from other people.

Thank you all for everything.
coolioqq

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:15:45 PM »

First of all, this is a tough time for you, so just know that we are all here to listen to you and help you out. Hang in there .

Talking to you all and my therapist I realized that this just isn't the case. That not only during our relationship but equally afterwards she clearly demonstrated that she is highly manipulative, abusive, and incapable of love. It's a heartbreaking realization but true none the less. I kept rationalizing and making excuses for her behavior but its time for me to move on.

My therapist said you MUST recognize how sick this girl is. And recognize how sick you are to even want a relationship with her. That if I was in a better place I would have never been in a relationship with her in the first place.

He asked what my biggest fear was. I told him that she would change and be happier and a great person without me.

He replied that I'm afraid that that "apple" will one day ripen? And that I'll never find a another one? He called me out and said that's an irrational fear. I then asked him if he thought her "apple" would ever ripen. He was dead serious when he said this. He's a no bull kind of a guy. He Said he thinks she is rotten to the core.

It sounds like your T assessed your attraction to her well enough to throw "a splash of cold water in your face" and make you understand who you are dealing with. It's all good - all of us went through the same thing here. We need that cold water once in a while to refresh us and give us a healthier perspective on things. Your T is aware of her effects on you, and it is probably wise to follow his advice closely.

PwBPD don't magically get better with their next partner, and go into the sunset with the "happily ever-after" song in the background... . Even healthy relationships require mentally and emotionally sound partners and a lot of work to continue and last. Given your experience with her and her dating history you mentioned, I fail to see how you believe that the new guy will have it better with her.

I used to have anxiety about that I wasn't good enough. That I wasn't strong enough. That all her other exes broke up with her. Why did she break up with me? I learned from her old roommate that she abused all her exes full force just like me. She told me that she thought it was awesome how I would actually take a stand to her. That I wouldn't back down. That her exes never did that.

It makes so much sense. She left because  I didn't put up with her crazy. I challenged her. Pushed her to see reality and grow. And she didn't like it. I also realized that I wanted to break up with her multiple times. She just always dooped me to stay.

i would have been the third bf to break up with her in 1.5 years. It makes so much sense. And she broke up with me because once upon a time I was stronger. Higher self esteem. Not an easy target. I take comfort in that as well

It's a really good thing that you are aware of your qualities here - that you pushed back and were strong in front of her. Remember that it is okay to be vulnerable. It is ok to be weak too. Most of us go back and worth between strength and weakness, invincibility and vulnerability.

What you need to strive for is delivering on your strength. You probably understand the kind of hurt that the entire situation has brought you. That will help you realize further course of action and, hopefully, make you see that detachment and going on about your life should be your priorities. Is it difficult? Yes. Why? Because you likely tied the reason and sense of your existence to her well-being... . That is a great thing when it is reciprocated, a good sign that you found "the one." But then, from what you told us here, this woman is clearly not responding in the same way. Abuse is not the language of love... .

It's always natural to fear when an ex gets a new relationship she's going to be amazing and happy and healthy with them and get married. Again her actions towards me prove to not be the case. I used to worry. What if her next relationship lasts? I realized if it does that just means this "laid back" nice guy from Hawaii is just giving her whatever ever she wants. That he's just catering to her everyday needs. And lets be honest. There is a ton, and most likely she's not really meeting his needs. So again. In the low self esteem state I have currently i take comfort in that as well. That shes abusing this guy just as much as she did all her bfs. No matter how great he is. And that if he lasts. It's because he's waved the white flag while she goes for the throat. I'm sure one day when I'm stronger I'll feel bad for him. But again. I take comfort in knowing that she's kind of doomed. I fully admit that. But hey. Anything that helps me sleep at night I'll take it.

Many fears in life are natural. It is good to feel them and acknowledge them. It is not good to be consumed by them and let them develop a sense of hatred within yourself. Right now, while you still hurt, you should put your focus on yourself. Your well-being should be the most important thing to you. Admitting that you can't empathize with her at this point in time is a part of healing. That will change over time, as you realize, accept, appreciate and further nurture your caregiving qualities. The thing to keep in mind is that caregiving is a great thing when you are giving care to people who want to help themselves. Otherwise, it can be a soul-devouring effort - you are not Sisyphus.

She's lost. She's scared. She's alone. Even in a relationship. She's unhappy. She always will be. And I'm going to support her to the best of my abilities. I want to be a strong enough person where I can handle anything thrown my way. And who knows. Maybe when she realizes how sad and alone she truly is we can try again. But I know that if I stick to the right path, that even if she would want to. Id be strong enough and healthy enough to recognize that that would not lead to a happy and fulfilled life.

No one here will tell you what to do for her. Whether you will continue to support her or just proceed with detachment is your decision to make and yours alone. That said, most of us here, over time, realize that to be supportive and useful to others, we first have to find ourselves. That includes understanding where we come from, what got us where we are, what kept us in this type of relationship, what are some great thing about us that should not change, but also the sometimes painful self-discovery aimed at things that keep us stuck. Changing is difficult, but necessary. Right now, it sounds like you need to focus on yourself. It sounds that she has a new boyfriend, and she is his responsibility now. On the other hand, you are now your responsibility. Try to take this time to reflect on your own needs and wants. In your post, you primarily focused on your perception of her needs and wants. You are half of the medal in your relationships - you matter as well. Never forget that.

I still do wish the best for her. I want everyone to be happy and in love. I know I have my problems. We all do. And I don't say this lightly, or for a self esteem boost. But I am the most loving and caring person I know. I know that any girl would be lucky to team up with me in life. Because I truly am willing to do whatever it takes for the people in my life.

This is coming from a very healthy place. It is a change in tone from the beginning of your post - you still have a place in your heart for true empathy. It looks like you understand the toll her condition is taking on her. It is excellent that you recognize your caregiving qualities. But, it is also important that you heal first. Once you do heal, you need not find "any girl." You need to find a girl that is already a good person and that, with your help, will become an even better person. And it's mutual - she should have the same effect on you. Now reflect on the relationship with this girl and whether the same was true - mutually of course? The answer to that will send you in the right direction... .

Life is hard. I'm not looking for a wife. A girl to take care of. A sex partner. I'm looking for a best friend. A teammate. An equal.   Not someone that I have to look after. Someone who I can team up with and tackle life TOGETHER.

As I said, you did evolve within this same post (you begged her for a little sex near the beginning). This is good - you are growing through reflection - we all do. This is another thing that comes from a healthy place that you have inside of you. Now ask yourself if this girl fits any of these elements? Also, your perception of your needs and wants and your actual needs and wants are not necessarily the same. This is another thing that you should probably reflect on or explore with your T. It sounds like this girl was not fulfilling you, but she may have leveraged your caregiving side which may have made you feel special and wanted. In a healthy relationship, partners care for each other for who they are, and do not equalize their feelings with expectations and needs. Receiving is as important as giving. It sounds like you were giving a lot. What is it that you received?

I know she'll try and convince me otherwise. I know she'll try and let me know how happy and healthy she's doing. It's what she always does. Unfortunately  her whole life is and always will be smoke and mirrors. Breaks my heart. But I can go to sleep at night knowing that I tried my best. That things didn't workout between us because I demanded more. Not because I wasn't good enough or expected too much.

And to be honest that makes me smile. Healthy people are attracted to healthy people. And at first she dooped me. But I saw the red flags by the second date when she yelled at me. When I picked up an abusive partner brochure at the health center. It was my fault for getting sucked in and staying. But hey. It's what they do best. And to be honest she was the first girl I ever got close with.

I know through this whole experience I have grown so much. I learned from my mistakes. I learned what I want in a relationship and what I don't. It still breaks my heart and saddens me knowing that I can never have a happy and healthy relationship with her. And that she is all smoke and mirrors. And that even when she appears to be happy and grounded that its all a show. All lies she tells me and herself.

I appreciate everyone's honest and sincere feedback. I'm going to continue to post on here and help others as well as still receive help and support. I know  everyone on here will continue to support me and remind me that this girl I love  is truly sick and to pursue a relationship with her isn't wise or healthy by no means. And that unfortunately she's not going to change. Just reminders that I'll still need to hear from other people.

Thank you all for everything.

I say let's hope that she will change - for her own well-being. We all know how likely that is, but we are wholesome people and we should wish them the best.

At her present, the way you described it, she is not making you happy. You attempted to make her happy, but she doesn't have the ability to do either. It is not an enviable state of mind.

Having hard feelings is normal, but not something that should stick with you. Since people with BPD (assuming that she has it) are locked at a 3-4 year old emotional stage of development, we are/were dealing with children. You can't expect much in terms of adult feelings from children. Likewise, when you recover fully, you will not have any bad feelings towards what is essentially a child locked in an adult body... .

Again, acknowledge what you feel. Read and re-read the lessons in the sidebar. Strive for radical acceptance. Work on yourself. Work with your T. And take care of yourself.

We are here for you.
zenwexler

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 08:54:43 AM »

Thank you so much for that very in depth response. I really appreciate you reading my post and breaking it down and giving your opinion. It means a lot because I really need everyone support and perspective to keep staying strong and on the right path.
Tired_of_this12345

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 05:53:01 PM »

Zen,

I really can identify with most of your post.   I really liked your biggest fear being that she would find happiness with the next guy.  That is exactly what I feared.  However,  like your therapist said,  that is not going to happen.  Mine had a line of failed relationships behind her, and will have more in the future.  She is never going to be happy. 

I lived in that relationship for a year and a half.   First 6 months were great,  but it was hell after that.  I always felt miserable.  And with each break up,  I detached a little bit more.  At the end,  I just came to the conclusion that this would only continue to get worse.  And that is how I decided to finally end it permanently.   I shouldn't act too strong, as it's only been a week of NC, but I have no desire to rekindle anything. 

I just wanted to say I relate to your post and everything you have felt seems so familiar.  It's the exact feelings I have gone thru. 
willtimeheal

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Split 4-2013 trying to work it out

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 06:58:31 PM »

Zen

I could have wrote your post word for word. I can most relate to the I don't want to be with you but I don't want to let you go. My therapist told me my BPD will never let me go. That scares me.

zenwexler

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 08:05:36 AM »

I think one of the scariest things you realize by being on this site is how similar everyone's stories are. You realize that everyone is going through the same stuff. It's comforting in a way too. It sucks that these people will never change. I was a drug and alcohol counselor and we used to tell our clients that all addicts demonstrate very similar characteristics and engage in similar behavior. Because of that as therapists we're able to learn and understand addicts universally. And with BPD it's the same thing. It's no suprise that all our therapists say the same thing. That its virtually impossible to have a relationship with them and that unfortunately they just never change and won't be happy. So to think that they're going to find someone new and suddenly be happy is as realistic as one of us winning the lottery. Like my ex still texts me now and I can tell how unhappy she is. She still tries to devalue me and bring me down. Brings up random times when I was in the wrong. And I'm thinking like why are you acting like this? If I was in a fresh new relationship and happy A. I would barely be texting you. And B. I'd be like really supportive and only be kind. Because a truly happy and healthy person has no reason to be mean.

It's funny because everyone in the staying board even said that with the tools you learn here its still impossible to have a successful relationship with them. And right now my friendship with her is brutal. She still comes at me. I validate EVERYTHING she says. I'm so kind positive and supportive of her. I never call her out or lose my cool. I stay super casual. What does she do? Tries to push my buttons even harder. Tries to keep poking me to see what reaction I give. Or she'll be frustrated that I'm being nice and understanding because it proves to her that I'm not this unworthy guy to her. Which throws her for a massive loop. If you have the strength to Stay NC. I would 100% recommend it. Especially because it'll probably take you a few times to get it right.
Tired_of_this12345

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 05:22:21 PM »

Zen, 

You are right.   I can't imagine trying to be friends with my ex.  Everyday would be torture.   I don't want to see what she is doing or hear about it or talk to her.  It's not because I don't care,  but rather because I care too much.  I can't just chat and then let it go.   NC is the only way I could get thru this.   

I really feel for though and I believe that it is brutal.   This is my 3rd attempt at NC,  but first time I blocked her on my phone and social media.   During the other times,  I secretly wanted her to contact me.   Now I know that I can't handle contact.   It's pure misery. 
seeking balance
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 05:28:10 PM »

I kept rationalizing and making excuses for her behavior but its time for me to move on.

Good realizations - your T is right on the money... . so, looking at you and getting you to that better place, has your T given you a strategy about what to tackle in terms of your core issues that lead you down that path?

Faith does not grow in the house of certainty - The Shack
LettingGo14

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 11:55:11 PM »

It sucks that these people will never change.

I like that you have ZEN in your screen name.  Beyond this board and the information here, a major part of my road to recovery has been to engage zen buddhist teachings.   I am a complete novice, but the messages are starting to internalize.   For reference sake, here are a couple things that have helped.

1. "Let go or be dragged" (Zen saying).  I can only control myself.   Period.   As one buddhist told me, we can "reassert dominion" over our own minds.

2. "Make friends with heartbreak"  -- don't try to "fix" it or "erase" it or send away with blame of self or other. 

3. "Treat your emotions like wounded friends"

4. "Lean into the spear" - feel the feelings, lose the story.

So many times our brains want to make "sense" of our relationship, thinking that understanding it will set us free.   In part perhaps it does (I've certainly spent hours and hours analyzing my own)... . but true freedom seems to come only with acceptance that things don't always go as planned, and that how we view these things makes all the difference.

zenwexler

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 11:01:43 AM »

I am attempting to stay friends. And it's not going so well.

You guys are so very right. I was talking to her the other day. She knows I'm road tripping out to California. She texted me saying I better not speed. I made the joke don't worry every time I do I'll think of you. She then responds by bringing up one time we were driving together in traffic and I got really stressed out and got angry. Like what? Really? She had to bring up that ONE time I lost my cool. She always wants to bring up times when I made mistakes. It's like she still tries to convince herself that I'm not good enough. I told her that I was really stressed out because she was leaving for home and I just wanted to spend time with her and my family. She was like yeah right. Don't play the innocent card.

A few days later she was texting me. She uses a noise machine to fall asleep. I took a picture of one in the hotel and sent it to her. She was like yeah. I'm going to get my new bf to start using one. Like again. Stil trying to flaunt her relationship in my face. She keeps asking questions about this girl she thinks I'm hooking up with. She asked if I liked her while we were dating. I told her no. She then asked for her last name. She jokingly told me so she can Facebook her and stalk her!

I know it was a joke but really? Come on. It's fascinating that she does things that are like I still have feelings for you I still have feelings for you. Then she vanishes for a while just to resurface suddenly. I still get hurt when she goes multiple days without texting me.
Emelie Emelie

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 12:06:29 PM »

Letting Go:

1. "Let go or be dragged" (Zen saying).  I can only control myself.   Period.   As one buddhist told me, we can "reassert dominion" over our own minds.

2. "Make friends with heartbreak"  -- don't try to "fix" it or "erase" it or send away with blame of self or other. 

3. "Treat your emotions like wounded friends"

4. "Lean into the spear" - feel the feelings, lose the story.

I love these teachings.  I suspect an important one for me would be "feel the feelings, lose the story".  Can you elaborate on that?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest