Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 15, 2024, 05:48:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Do You Think He Is Really Saying?  (Read 371 times)
dealingwithit

« on: May 01, 2014, 02:31:55 AM »

My husband and I are doing really well right now. Several years ago he was involved at least emotionally with a woman at work. It was a very painful situation for me which led me to fall into drinking for a few months. He found out and was very hurt and angry at me for drinking. (His dad was an abusive alcoholic.) I had asked that he stop communicating with this woman since she lived in a different state and he couldn't seem to do that... . Anyway, now he has better boundaries with women overall.

If I bring up anything to do with the situation, he immediately goes into, "You have ruined our family and put me through hell when I didn't do anything and never apologized" rant. It is like an automatic switch button with emotional intensity. I feel like he is hiding something when he does that, like I have stepped into territory he doesn't want me delving into. What do you guys think about that? 
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Indigo Sky

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: End of March 2013 she tried to have me charged with assault so she could benefit from it financially and then have me deported. Just about everyone has told me if I go back to her city most likely I will run into personal danger.

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:32:05 AM »

Why do  you feel you have to bring up the situation?
dealingwithit

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 04:53:06 PM »

It is because he contacted a couple of people from his past and I wanted to remind him of the boundaries with women. He contacted them through Facebook but they are not responding. The point is to make sure he knows I won't go through that again. (Didn't make that clear in my earlier post, I guess Smiling (click to insert in post)
waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 05:22:30 AM »

It is his natural response to a fear of being controlled (in his mind).

The past episode has been compartmentalized and put away. This could mean, as you fear, that the lesson was not learned, which may or may not be true.

Either way he sees that as his business not yours. He does not feel the empathy you might expect, only on how it impacts him, not how it impacted you, That is, it triggered your drinking and that affected him, not the guilt of what he did to you emotionally. In his mind you blew it out of proportion with your reaction.

His improved "boundaries' may just mean he is doing a better job of avoiding triggering you, rather than a change in attitude overall. It is always hard to tell what is real and what isn't, as past poor behavior has a habit of recycling as though it was never resolved.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Chosen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 09:27:48 PM »

Hi dealingwithit,

I can empathise with your situation, even though I haven't gone through a similar experience.  I have gone through many times of uBPDh did something -> me responding (not so well) -> him putting all the blame on me, ignoring his responsibility (like he was the one which started this chain of events) -> in future if we mention this episode he will still put all blame on me.

First, no matter under what situation you mentioned his inappropriate behaviour, he will feel that it's a stab to his confidence (because he was in the wrong).  He will feel the need to defend himself, and he does so by putting all blame on you.  If he is able to say "because I crossed my boundaries with women, it led to my wife feeling hurt and drinking", then he wouldn't be pwBPD.  As waverider said, he might/ might not have learnt the lesson.  But bringing it up doesn't help (yes it's unfair; pwBPDs seem to be "allowed" to bring up issues but we can't).  If he hasn't learnt it/ refuse to accept it, he will not change his attitude just because you remind him.

What you need is boundaries for yourself- *if* he doesn't something similar again, or if you have told him before what behaviour you accept/ don't (e.g. "No one-on-one contact with single women on FB", then if he steps on/ crosses the boundary, you will have to do something in response to let him know it is unacceptable to you.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest