Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 07:35:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just venting... replies invited and welcomed... :)  (Read 371 times)
thereishope

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married, together 4 years

« on: July 18, 2014, 09:38:45 AM »

I posted a brief introduction a few days ago, but find myself today wanting to just “vent” my thoughts.  I initially labeled myself as “undecided” on the board, but the more I read/discover/am honest with myself and my own thoughts/feelings, I sense I am more accurately finding my way OUT of this insane situation.  I am wanting to share my experiences and thoughts to invite others to do the same, assuming it will be helpful to hear the opinions/views/suggestions of people outside the blindness of these four walls.

I discovered information on BPD a day or two ago, while researching emotional/mental/verbal abuse.  I guess that is revealing in itself that I have been drawn to GOOGLE what the heck has been so wrong around here.  Something inside of me just “hasn't been right”.  In fact, I've even stated, “I can't explain it but it just feels like there is something big and bad inside that I just can't get rid of”.  I am seeing more clearly as I do research, that this “big bad thing” has been a reactive response to dealing with the actions of a BPD husband.  Humbly, I know I have my own issues that I need to deal with outside of him, but today, for therapeutic purposes, I am focusing on his behavior and my reactions to it/thoughts about it.

I feel like this is a classic case, as I read from different angles of this disorder.  Somehow there is always a negative attached to even the positives.  Mostly, I can't find much joy even during the calm times because at those times, there is nothing tangible to legitimately explain why I feel “yucky” deep inside.   

He is trying hard to connect with my kids (from a previous marriage)... .but somehow I feel as though he is trying to get the upper hand with them... .If I try to nurture my 7 year old daughter, for instance, he gets impatient with me as if I'm babying her, but will pick her up, give her a bandaid, and tell her if she needs him, he is “right here”. 

My teenage daughter he calls “Princess”, and goes out of his way to consider her needs.  This in itself is not a bad thing... .It just sometimes feels as though I am the lowest one on the totem pole. (For the record, I DO NOT LIKE the selfish, grasping behavior this BPD cycle has prompted inside of me... .  )  For instance, he asked me to get an insurance claim on daughter's broken cell phone.  He hadn't mentioned it at all yesterday, and I hadn't initiated the process yet... .so he turns to her and says, “tomorrow, around lunchtime, come downstairs and force the issue of getting your phone replaced, ok?”... .As if actually asking me directly would not have accomplished this in and of itself. 

I feel like I look and sound crazy for writing these seemingly petty things, but I see that ultimately this living situation has turned a by God's grace/self-assured/strong/compassionate woman into a begging pleading, weak slug.  Feels ridiculous.  I have gone from expectant, to hurt/pleading/cowering/confused, to downright angry and ready for change. 

Aside from the kids, just the two of us is an interesting thing.  We had a short break up last year, before we reconciled and got married.  During that time, I was in a relationship which I think proved to his idealizing mind that I wasn't the woman he had placed on a pedestal of perfect love for him.  Since then he has struggled with assurance of my love for him.  This weakness has caused a great great deal of difficult beating me up verbally over every possible gory detail of my relationship, and subsequently my ENTIRE past life... .as if my mistakes and decisions because in full focus under a microscope... .and he now needed an explanation/reassurance of our love in contrast to absolutely everything. 

The emotional/verbal/mental abuse that I now see his behavior toward me as turned my world upside down.  The blank stares, harsh words, “I don't care”, “Leave me alone”, “It doesn't matter”, “That's bullsh... .t!”, insane, horrible hell-like silent treatment, refusing affection and even common courtesy and kindness, name-calling,... .I definitely see how his world is his world and I, my opinions, thoughts, ideas don't really exist inside of his world.  I have learned to comply with everything he thinks and feels and plans because it is “easier that way” and avoids more mental pain.  (= WALKING ON MAJOR EGGSHELLS)

What kind of life is this where one has to be concerned about any possible thing you say and/or do?  No freedom of thought/expression/functioning... .There are so many things I think of to do with my kids, etc... .but have had enough situations where he has been upset at the way I have done things or didn't tell him I did it, or run things by him, etc... .that it feels not worth trying things.

There were only a few times of pushing me away and one instance of him throwing knives across the kitchen at me, (“wasn't even close to you, I just wanted you to get away from me”)  Nothing physical lately.  I left after the knife incident, but came back. (WHY?)  My oldest daughter will not have anything to do with us together because of that occasion.  She says she “fears for my safety”. 

All the bad behavior of course has been chalked up to me... .my driving/irritating behavior, like trying to communicate and somehow reach him thru unbending opinions and determinations about what I think/feel/am, etc... .Mostly when I have expressed my real, true feelings and a sincere desire to change and be and do what is best for us as a couple, I have been told often that what I'm saying is BULLSH... .T.

I'm sure I could go on and on about the unhealthy stuff... .and probably will share more as it wants to purge itself from my soul... .

But then as you all well know there is the sweet side... .the loving comments (when his face is not evil and mean and unfeeling during a bad time)... .the “only me... .best ever” stuff... .the gifts... .the comments about how he does stuff just for me so I'll be happy... .the statements the other night during an actual good conversation we had that he “really doesn't want me to feel... .xyz... .bad ways that I've been feeling... .

Fantasy... .he is my soul mate that I decided to marry and hope/believe for the walking together in and for God relationship that he promised me he wanted too... .

Reality... .he is down... .upset... .somewhat miserable wretchlike most of the time... .the majority of my time seems to be pursuing him to try and “reach” him, “help” him to “feel ok”, reassured, “fix” something... .somehow to be what I can't feel I can achieve to be to him.

My two overall concerns are that

#1. My heart/soul/time/efforts SHOULD be on seeking God and allowing Him to use me to do WHATEVER HE WANTS ME TO DO, with my moments and my days... .and instead I am putting all of myself into a person (wrong in itself, but also feels like pouring the liquid of my life into a bucket with huge holes in the bottom... .never ever has the capacity of being filled... .as it looks as though I patch a hole, or a few holes any particular moment, more, unexpected holes appear... .)

and #2.  My children are not able to get the fullness of what I should/want to be giving them... .time, investment, spontanaity, cheerfulness, peace, joy in living... .etc... .

I've had this “light at the end of the tunnel” feeling inside me for a long time that wants to be free to do and be whatever God and I want to be... .and I really didn't sign up for having someone else determine everything I think/do and to try and “fix” me.  I definitely am NOT perfect, but I surely did NOT need to be completely unacceptable and restructured by a BPD husband from the ground up. 
calmboom

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »

Hello thereishope.

I identified with many of the thoughts that you described.  As a newbie, I have found solace and challenge in the postings and articles here.

I have discovered that I sometimes seem to be living for the relationship forgetting who I am on my own accord.   The constant stream of being mother, worker, and emotional caretaker and cheerleader takes its toll.   My signal that its time for ME-Time is when I feel stuck, unheard, and unappreciated by those I love most. 

After reconnecting with myself I find that the yucky stuck feelings subside as I remember that I am worthy just for being me.   I hope you find peace.
FigureIt

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 10:22:22 PM »

Thereishope,

I completely understand what you are feeling. I am not married to mine, but own a house & have lived together for 2 1/2 years.  I can say I have experienced a lot of what you have. And I am now at the point the I am "going thru the motions", while I create a financial cushion and plan for my exit.  I too have a daughter from a previous marriage and I have decided that once I make my exit I do not "NEED" a man.  My plan is to raise my daughter and when she enters college in 9 years, maybe then I'll consider dating.  Coming from a marriage in which I dealt with a narcissist who verbally abused, to my current uBPDbf who is just unending need for me to reassure and no care for me, it just isn't worth it anymore. (An example... .my sister was in from out of town for the week and most the days I spent with her & her kids. One day I went to my parents for a family celebration (an uncle inform out of town) when I returned home, my uBPDbf was "pissed", an just off the wall.  Now tonight at about 4:30 he decided he needed to go to the local bar instead of staying home with me.  He has now been out 6hrs drinking.)

Sorry but I'm 40+ years old and I'm passed hanging out at bars drinking. And I'm passed having to prove myself. And mine also has this continuous need to have contact with other women. Either ex's or just "happens" to get some woman's # when he's out drinking. I'm done! Now it is just a matter of time to gather the funds and plan.

Good luck to you. But if you are where I am my "hope" is the end of this relationship is coming... .maybe not as soon as I truly want (which would be NOW!)
free-n-clear

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Not to be resuscitated.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 08:59:38 AM »

Hi again, thereishope.

It sure seems that you've been tolerating some intolerable behaviour. I did that for a while (read - way too long) too; verbal and physical abuse, habitual lying and infidelity, just to name a few. My then-girlfriends' public outbursts of unprovoked rage were incredible. Many of my friends were questioning why I put up with it - if I had a dollar for every time I was told I could do better, I could retire.

A couple of things in your post really stood out to me... .

My teenage daughter he calls “Princess”, and goes out of his way to consider her needs.

He should be calling you his Princess. There's something a little unsettling about this; is this your oldest daughter - the one who won't have anything to do with him following the knife incident? If so, are you sure the knife incident is the reason? Would she tell you if he had done (or tried to do) anything to her?

Reality... .he is down... .upset... .somewhat miserable and wretch-like most of the time... .the majority of my time seems to be pursuing him to try and “reach” him, “help” him to “feel ok”, reassured, “fix” something... . 

Swap she/her for he/him and you're describing my relationship. I thought I could help her reach her potential. I encouraged and helped her to reconnect with her family after several years of estrangement and did everything I could think of to lift her self-esteem. What I should have worried about was my own self-esteem. Rather than me lifting her up, she was dragging me down.

I'm glad to see you're settling in here and finding your feet. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest