Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 10:51:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to stop the abuse  (Read 759 times)
willtimeheal

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Split 4-2013 trying to work it out

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »

I agree with what heart said.  My therapist diagnosed me with PTSD from my relationship. What you describe sounds an awful lot like what I went thru.  Never knowing how she was going to react, I use  to shut my phone off so I wouldn't have to worry about it going off when she was around, walking on eggshells, never doing anything for myself... .even as simple as eating at my favorite restaurant because she didn't like it (even thou I always paid the bill when out or doing anything).  I hated living like that.

I went on medication to help with the stress and focus especially since I wanted to really work during therapy. I was told therapy works best when you are in a relaxed state of mind and then you can make the changes.  It was  also helpful that I was able to put space between her and I for a few months. Hang in there.

qkslvrgirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2014, 08:36:42 AM »

The key word here is "action" - do something to actively change the balance of power for yourself. You can start with stopping the internal dialog when your stress level rises.

It took me years to really understand this - but as stated by others - feelings are a reaction. In and of themselves, they have no story attached. Our minds create an explanation AFTER the emotion is perceived.

We can stop doing that by recognizing the chemical (cortisol or adrenaline) is coursing through our body - and remaining alert in the present moment to whether we are actually in physical danger. If not, we can allow the emotional charge to dissipate without making it more important with a story.

"She's seen every branch on the Tree...now she's free."
Life's a Fieldtrip
hurthusband

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married (3 years) Together (11 years)

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »

This is interesting...

Instead of thinking about what comes with something stressful, just accept what it is and not think about what comes with it.  I will have to try this.  Easier said than done, but I can work on it
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest