Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 01:15:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Copycat" suicide alert...  (Read 509 times)
HealingSpirit

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married 19 years.

« on: August 20, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I don't want to cause a panic. I just believe that forewarned is forearmed, so I wanted to share that I am concerned that the news of Robin Williams' apparent suicide may trigger others to do the same.  I recently read about "The Effects of Contagion" in Shari Manning's book, "Loving Someone with BPD."  Chapter 12 devotes a whole section to this topic.  She states, "An important risk factor for suicidal behaviors is what professionals refer to as contagion. Although the research debates whether suicidal behaviors are really contagious, those of us who look at risk factors for suicidal behaviors pay very close attention to our suicidal clients following other suicides."  She says, "When there is a highly publicized suicide, other suicides inevitably occur."

Please keep a close eye on your loved ones (as you already do) while we all grieve this terrible loss of one of the world's greatest comedians.

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Iamafaerie

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:51:14 PM »

I agree. I also think the method of suicide can become a contagion.

In Australia Michael Hutchence (INXS) commited suicide by tying a cord to a hook behind a door and leaning forward on his knees.

A television show was created and televised recently. Two days later a well known Australian celebrity Charlotte Dawson used exactly the same method.

Then LeWren Scott did the same.

I beleive Robin Williams also used this method which seems to be described as asphyxia.

A young girl in my town used the same method two weeks ago. All related to cords and affixed to hooks on closed doors or door handles.

Suicide in the past was seen as painful and difficult to achieve. The reporting of this method which could be viewed as easy, successful and stress-free is a very real worry.

if there is one practical thing I could say in relation to this is to not allow locked doors.

It sounds trite, but it could make a difference. Time alone in a private locked room makes it easy to fall into a trance like attitude with a sole purpose, when at risk.
Kimmom

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »

I have to agree with you.  Unfortunately suicide has hit me and my family.  My mom committed suicide when I was 22.  My sister was going through a really rough time a couple years ago and she too committed suicide 22 years after my mom.  I believe when it comes in to your family then it all the sudden becomes an option. The worse option.  My ds was hospitalized last year for suicide plan.  Being touched by suicide even once in your life is AWFUL! 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest