Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 10:46:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Troubles in the county jail system - DD returned  (Read 475 times)
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« on: September 24, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »

It has been a bit since I posted about DD28 and her county jail journey. Last you heard she was moved to a facility in another county about 3 hours away. Turned out to be a bare bones holding area of a state prison. Only county jail inmates, from various overcrowded counties, were in her pod. There were no services available. I spoke to the medical office - the nurse was really surprised DD was sent there with her issues.

The local county jail took away a full 30 days of 'good time' (allowed by law) when they moved her to this other county. They either would not or could not answer for me how this was calculated. There were other things that unsettled me, but this one I could try a get to the bottom of for DD.

It is all online. The state statutes, the county jail policy and procedure manuals, contact information. I just wasn't sure who to call! DD had been commenting on a lot of inmates release dates changing this summer. A lot of confusion in the booking dept. calculating 'good time'. Shouldn't all be written down somewhere !  So much of the policy left it up to the jail to determine credits in the various programs.

I emailed the contact person in the public defender's office on 9/15 with my concerns - especially about the change in release date when this transfer was not based on DD's actions. It seemed like a random penalty. She did not reply. So I called on Thursday, 9/18 and left an intensely worded voice message when she would not take my call. The next morning was the email reply in my inbox. She said they were always there to help any inmate that felt they were being mistreated. She had talked to the SHERIFF (the one we elected that is the head of the whole dept.). He admitted they were having issues with the calculation of release dates to comply with state law. He also admitted that this particular facility DD was at had 'issues'. So they were bringing back all the inmates transferred there.

DD called the next afternoon back in the local jail. She had taken a shower that was not painful from scalding water and brushed her teeth in a real sink. I had to change all my support accounts again. Phone account, commissary account, and gift package account. Close the new ones, reopen the old ones. It is really punishment for the whole family!

I did not hear from her since Sunday until she called tonight. She was transferred out of the work release/work crew pod. She claims that she was approved for work crew again until another inmate complained that DD had been moved out blah blah blah.  The truth here for me: DD has to do work now to earn her good time by participating in classes/programs in her new pod. She gets to choose some of the classes - taking something is required. I can look online - there are lots of choices. She says the other woman bicker a lot and she can't get anything

Her other complaint today was how young, loud, dramatic the women are in this pod. She did enjoy the calmer population in the alternative sentencing pod (work release/work crew).

She is lonely for a guy as well. My perception: she has a 'guy' addiction, not feeling whole without a man in her life. Hmmmmm - seems I hear this a lot from other parents with BPD daughters. She wants to recycle 2 of her ex's. One still has a no-contact order with her and is on parole after serving a 2 year prison sentence for assaulting her. The other is now in work release with an 18 month sentence for  burglary. Old patterns - hard to change. Both men were part of the homeless community - she has known them for about 5 years. They are trying to get their lives on a new path. The first is going to tech school. The second wants to get it together so his infant son can be in his life. The mommy is a meth addict/dealer and was abusing her newborn with meth. DD called and reported this to DSS. The courts have terminated the mom's parental rights. I get a letter from him occasionally. Both these still have an attachment to DD, though she pushes them away over and over. Another characteristic I hear a lot here at bpdfamily.

When I was involved weekly with DD, the public defender's office, the medical and mental health staff, getting furloughs approved, driving her to appointments, etc etc etc it felt like things were moving in a new direction. She was participating with these care providers. That was all real. We enjoyed being in each other's company, that was real. She was very appreciative of my advocacy, that was real.

Now that we are not having any face to face contact it is harder to discern what is real from her phone calls. Old patterns, that is what I heard today. Not wanting to do the programs that are available to her now. Making excuses for not asking for consideration to be in women's transition program. Maybe nothing will really change when she is released.

Then gd came in and took the phone and talked to her mom while walking around the house  Smiling (click to insert in post). DD was crying when I got back on - she asked gd to give me back the phone before she lost it on the phone. Gd is what gives DD a reason to get up and keep trying day after day, even when it all feels so dark and pointless. Like nothing will ever get better - never change.

I hope my encouragement for her to keep trying was validating. The 'you have one minute left' message came on and I was cut off mid word. I told DD that I love her, gd loves her and so does dh. We always have and always will. We will be here - for her to keep her head above water. She can call me every day if she needs to.

So I need to check tomorrow and see what her release date is now. And send her another 'thinking of you, hang in there, your can do it' card. Sending a card every week - she said she got the last one yesterday.

In writing this post I have circled though so many emotions, and my head is still above the water.

qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
HealingSpirit

Relationship status: Married 19 years.

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 01:53:11 AM »

In writing this post I have circled though so many emotions, and my head is still above the water.

qcr

Oh my Goodness!

I think I've circled through those emotions just from reading your post! Frustration, anger, disappointment, sadness, more frustration, wonder, love, and hope... .

You're amazing! Your story makes me think of the "tortoise and the hare" fable.  We parents of pwBPD are like the tortoise.  We move along slow and steady, handling whatever we need to handle, step by step, day by day, one day at a time, moment by moment.  The difference is, there is no race. This is just the life of a tortoise.

Hang in there qcr! (Pretend this is a tortoise... .PD traits)

mggt

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 10:51:08 AM »

Dear qcr,  you are a better woman than me i have been reading all your posts since i have been on this board almost

2 years now.  I am so beaten down i dont think i can help my d anymore  i do it because of my gd but i think i am

done take care of yourself and god bless
vivekananda

Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 01:06:17 AM »

aaah just caught up with the latest here. I am happy for you that your dd is back in the old local county jail... .I didn't like the sound of that place in the mountains.

Thrilled to learn that gd talked to her mom, proud of you that your head is above the water too!

You know how to make it work, I believe in you,

cheers,

Vivekananda 
jellibeans

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 09:17:27 AM »

Dear dear qcarolr

Your post was so sad and I really have cried along with you so many times. I really feel your pain and I know it has been so hard. I just want to encourage you to still have hope and to try to see the good in this situation. Even though your dd is in jail there is some comfort in knowing she is safe... .she is not homeless and you don't have the worry of not knowing if she is sleeping on the streets. Jail has given your dd some stability and that is good. This is probably a good time for Radical Acceptance... .maybe stand back a bit and get some perspective on the problem. Dd is where she is because of her choices and you have done so much to try and help and guide her. It is hard to see our children suffer no matter what age they are but I do think that is key. Being able to let them work through their problems and even though they are struggling... .allow them the opportunity to do the work and to solve their own problems. You are such a kind and strong mom... .have hope and I know your dd will get through this.
Thursday

Relationship status: married for one month (!)

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 11:54:51 AM »

qcarolr-

You sound like you are walking on solid ground even though life continues to be very difficult.

I wonder if your DD simply does better with life when it is stripped down and simple. I see this with my SD- if her life can become routine day to day, then she stays stronger and is less bugged by her circumstances. of course, boredom is still a slippery slope but with my SD all she needs to stave off boredom is social interaction with her sober peers.

One of her issues still is that, as she cycles (and let me say the cycling HAS softened in it's dramtic impact on her life) she seems to encourage a higher level of drama by engaging in it instead of walking away from it... .maybe your DD's desire for a boyfriend is akin to what I describe.

With SD, if she keeps it simple the cycles are farther apart, less intense and the drama is so scaled down even if she gets involved it still has far less impact when she was using and lying and trying to keep people in their proper place in her life. (keeping abreast of the chaos)

SD being calmer allows more of our council to sink in. DH just had a talk with her about having a bad day and how sometimes it just happens... .and that when it does you just have to wait it out and then things get better without any effort or drama or adjustment. She had a glitch with a Doctor's appointment and getting an RX- and was working herself up into a small frenzy- but she listened to her Dad's advice  to just ignore how frustrated she felt and to simply get back on course and she DID!

I think this "simple and ritualized life" is a lot like what half-way houses and group homes do- those who work with various groups (addicts, the mentally challenged, people recovering from head injury to name a few) take away a lot of outside stimulus to make life more basic and do-able. I think with my SD if she gets too worked up she can't keep any of it under control.

I cringe when I think of how overwhelming high school must have been for her- the social combined with the coursework along with our expectations... .whew!

I hope your DD isn't being disingenuous with you and I hope she will do well when she is released. I wish your DD would engage in some program while she is still in jail so she can feel what it is like to start something and finish it and to be involved in something that she CAN accomplish. I know there is no talking her into this... .must be so frustrating to see that she would benefit and yet she balks... .

thursday
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 01:57:57 PM »

DD was returned to a new women's pod. This one has mandatory classes daily. They also get to do yoga with a volunteer weekly! DD does get something out of all this. She has also made some friends in this pod and her calls are much less frantic. She chooses not to share what classes she is taking, so I have stopped asking. I do not need to know this.

She is motivated to participate in this pod because it shortens her time in jail. The 'good time credit' is 10 days per month of your sentence. State law requires only 2 days per month. When she was in the other jail she lost those 8 days -- grossly unfair since the transfer had nothing to do with her behavior or efforts. I believe my advocating with the public defender about this unfair treatment impacted the decision to return ALL the women back to our local county jail. Woo-Hoo! Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

In our call yesterday DD said "only 44 more days - I can make it".  We talked about our commitment to help her with a place to live. I had the courage to express our plan and expectations. A 6 month lease, if she gets job or disability a set % of her income paid to the rent, continue with 3 therapies (Mental health center, Addiction recovery outpatient center, DUI alcohol/drug program - need to get her license back). She talked about where she was going to do this and glad she already has a T that she likes!

She expressed her desire to be able to visit at our home - she needs to be a part of our family. She has never let go of this desire in all the drama the past 10 years since she turned 18. Her actions created this great divide -- maybe this is a way for her to show a new resolve to make things better. I know gd has kept her waking up each day for a long time.

She has to be committed to living clean/sober and finding friends that can support this every day. Without this I feel any progress will be very short-lived. Acceptance - this is beyond my control.

I am feeling pretty good today.

qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest