Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 03:56:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adult son  (Read 385 times)
Tevers69
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 24, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »

My deat son just graduated high school. Recently diagnosed with BPD. Has tried overdosing on sleeping pills and has done cutting. He also has auditory processing delay.  

Just trying to understand Bpd and get help for him and our family to deal with this.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:24:43 PM »

Hi Tevers69  Welcome

You have come to a wonderful place for information, advice and support regarding your son.  It sounds as though things have been difficult for your son and family.  

Can you expand on your story a little bit more? What are some of the issues you have questions about?  Is your son in therapy?  How are your other family members handling the issues around your son?

There is a lot of information on this website... .articles... .book reviews (there is some good reading material out there on BPD)

I would encourage you to visit the Parenting a son or daughter suffering from BPD board and start posting.  I'm sure you will find you have much in common with the members there and will find many experiences and points of view to draw from.

I'm so glad you found us.

Again Welcome  

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 12:03:46 PM »

Welcome

Hi Tevers69,

I would like to join Panda39 and welcome you. I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you are going through. There's a lot on your plate with your son's behavior and you feel anxiety, stressed and hopeless. I'm happy that you have found us Tevers69, there is hope.

Panda39 gave you a good board to start with on bpdfamily. Many members share similar experiences and can offer guidance and support. A sort of internet group therapy for families with loved ones with BPD. I will offer you some more material that will help.

Read as much as you can about this disorder. You will quickly see the benefits and become proficient over time.

Video--Validation: Encouraging Peace in a BPD Family

BPD Behaviors: How it feels to have BPD

Hang in there.

-Mutt

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 04:29:12 PM »

Tevers69  

There is so much pain, distress and fear when our kids are self-destructing and as a parent we often feel very helpless. What kinds of support does your family have in place? For your DS? For you, your spouse, siblings? What kind of therapy or treatment is in place for your DS?

The auditory processing delay adds another layer of hardship for your son to cope with. My BPDDD28 has a non-verbal learning disability with some components of auditory processing problems. More than one of the professionals in her life have suggested that the LD may be a trigger for the mental health issues.

It has felt hopeless in our family at times. The care and support of other parents here has been life saving for my family. Even though my DD still struggles our relationship is better. The TOOLS work, when I am calm and grounded enough to access them. When you have a chance check out the sidebar at the right side of the parenting board. Also check out the 'Foundation Reading' link. The four books listed are all great. The videos there would be a good start for you. They are based on experiences with adolescents with BPD.

When you are ready I hope you can share a little more of your story. We are here for you.

qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
Kate4queen

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »

Welcome.

I have a BPD son of 23 who started really having issues around the teen years. including cutting, depression, threatened suicide, rage and drug use. so I totally sympathize with you.

All I can say is get the best help you can from professionals, be open about the problems and try and keep your other family members safe.

Counseling really helped me understand what was going on and taught me how to protect myself. which is also very important. It also helped me change some of my behaviors toward him because I realized I was enabling him out of fear. There are some great tips on the right of the side bar about these issues.

Just know that if you have a question or a worry, someone here will understand and be able to share their experience with you.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest