Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 06:16:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding the concepts of BPD  (Read 379 times)
yogibear60

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 24, 2014, 08:39:30 AM »

Been doing a lot of thinking this morning.  Either too much coffee or not enough  Smiling (click to insert in post).  Would it be beneficial to do some reading on the types of therapy that appears to help individuals with BPD.   If one knew or had a bit more in-depth knowledge of the principals of the therapeutic approach would that knowledge give strength to my coping skills?   I would think that having a bit more would help and reinforce why intervention(s) do and do not work.  I have always worked better if I understand the parts to the whole.   If so does anyone have recommendation on books.  I was on Amazon this morning and there is such an overload of choices.  If this is not a good idea could someone explain why or why not?
jmanvo2015

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:33:54 AM »

Morning YogiBear - hope you're day is going well so far.   

I've gained a great deal of insight from reading Marsha Linehan's DBT workbook that addresses how to develop specific skills for the issues BPDs deal with it. While my therapist insists I'm not BPD I see that I have many of the traits, such as impulsive anger.  This is the workbook:

www.amazon.com/DBT%C2%AE-Skills-Training-Manual-Second/dp/1462516998/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411568973&sr=8-1&keywords=marsha+linehan

However, I don't recommend all of her books because some of the texbooks are so heavy with pyschiatric lingo that I gave up on them.

One of the things that Linehan espouses for treating BPD is "mindfulness."  There's a great book about this and how it can help you deal with stress and trauma (which we can apply to the stress and trauma caused by our BPD parent) by Jon Kabat-Zinn called "Full Catastrophe Living."

www.amazon.com/Full-Catastrophe-Living-Revised-Illness/dp/0345536932/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411569168&sr=1-1&keywords=full+catastrophe+living

You can also look up Kabat-Zinn's video meditations and lectures on YouTube and probably Linehan too and I think they both have websites, too.

yogibear60

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 05:01:49 PM »

Well, thank ya so much.  Will look into your suggestions... .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest