Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 15, 2024, 06:07:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Here  (Read 354 times)
StrongSpirit
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 28, 2014, 10:54:16 PM »

Hello, I am the parent of adult child that may have BPD.  I feel lost in what to do, say, etc. and how to cope with the storms of rage, accusation, neglect, hateful attacks from my adult child. I am at the end of my rope, yet can no longer participate in allowing my adult child to emotionally abuse and blackmail me to gain money and material things from me.  I am here to seek solutions to how to love my BPD adult child and improve our relationship.

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
jellibeans

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 09:25:44 AM »

Dear strong spirit

I want to welcome you here and tell you how sorry I am you are struggling with your adult daughter but I am guessing that this has probably been a long journey for you. I have a dd17 and I know your struggles. I am on the parent board and there are many there with adult BPDs and I really think you will get the support you need there. I want to encourage you to post there. When I first found this board two years ago it really saved me and it was such a source of support. The tools for communication and the workshops really gave me the tools to deal with my dd. We really understand and we are here to listen... .I am glad you have found us Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 12:16:12 PM »

Welcome

Hi strong spirit,

I would like to welcome you. You feel frustrated, confused and anxious. I'm so sorry. It sounds like you are at your wits end. I would like to echo jellibeans and our parenting board has many members that can offer guidance and support. I'm glad that you have found us. There is hope!

Boundaries can be difficult with a pwBPD. It is arrested emotional development and they flail against boundaries like a young child with a parent. It's imperative to assert strong boundaries when it comes to material things, money and whatnot. I'm sorry that this is tough. They used to call this "tough love".

When a child suffers from BPD (even our adult child), not only is the child unhappy and unhealthy, but often, so is everyone who loves them. This mental illness can severely affect everyone, creating drama and heartbreak, while also piling on the guilt and anxiety. The good news is that there are answers to these problems, and we are here to offer you the support and encouragement to help you find them. You'll see that there are things that can be done to stop making things worse and begin to make them better. A great place to start is with this set of resources: What can a parent do? We look forward to seeing you on the Parenting a Son or Daughter Suffering from BPD board and hope you join us in learning how to understand and communicate with our children better.

BOUNDARIES: Upholding our values and independence

Video--Validation: Encouraging Peace in a BPD Family

TOOLS: S.E.T. - Support, Empathy and Truth

Hang in there.

-Mutt 

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest